Not applicable

where can I put the smoker if I have a wooden deck?

Frequent Contributor

On your deck! It does not get hot on the bottom.

Not applicable
Wondering if smoker can be used inside ( in a rec room) during winter? Also, does a frozen turkey or ham have to be defrosted first before smoking?
Honored Contributor
On 9/21/2014 HUENEME GIRL said:

On your deck! It does not get hot on the bottom.

Buy grill pad from Lowe's or Home Depot if you are using on a wood deck.

Honored Contributor
On 9/21/2014 Annie VL said: Wondering if smoker can be used inside ( in a rec room) during winter? Also, does a frozen turkey or ham have to be defrosted first before smoking?

I would not. Should be used outdoors. It needs to be well ventilated. I would not smoke something from frozen. It would take a lot longer to cook.

Honored Contributor

Never use a smoker inside. You'd have smoke and soot all over the house. Jacque was commenting she smelled of smoke even though she'd been outside with the smoker.

The rep answered the question about frozen meat. His answer was only completely thawed meats.

Honored Contributor

We used ours all last BITTER winter in the garage with no problems at all. We cracked open the garage door just a bit. It is a 2 car garage.

I have never seen any soot from our smoker and we have had it for 4 years now.

It is NOT like a grill where you tend to your food as it cooks. You are not standing over an open cooking unit as you do grilling. You set it and just check it now and then. We have never 'smelled' like the smoker.

I would agree with a grill pad no matter where you use it. We have dripped sometimes when we remove the food. The unit doesn't drip..we do!

Honored Contributor

I put mine on a small table with an aluminum tray underneath it, on my back deck under the eaves, so it doesn't get wet.