Contributor

Word of Advice Pressure Cooker

I have bought a Elite Pressure Cooker and loved it! It worked for the first 5 meals I made and then just quit.Smiley Sad Luckily I send it back with in the 30 days. have read reviews for other digital cookers by various brands and this is common. COOKS ESSENTIALS review seem ok I did see one that had the same problem. The price is good. My advice is to use it right away several time within the 30 days. If you are nervous about it dying after the 30 days I would get one from bed bath and beyond they have a really good return policy. Just something to be aware of.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Word of Advice Pressure Cooker

I was going to order the TSV as a Christmas gift, but it only has a 30 day return policy, not the holiday return. Then I went to read the reviews on the other CooksEssentials pressure cookers. They said they quit working often after a few weeks or get a user error you can't clear. It also has a non-stick cooking pot & I prefer a stainless so I passed.

Contributor

I think you are smart especially since it was going to be a gift. If you do get one make sure you get a gift receipt. Good luck.>I was going to order the TSV as a Christmas gift, but it only has a 30 day return policy, not the holiday return. Then I went to read the reviews on the other CooksEssentials pressure cookers. They said they quit working often after a few weeks or get a user error you can't clear. It also has a non-stick cooking pot & I prefer a stainless so I passed.
Respected Contributor

Sadly, I'm not buying any more Cooks Essentials. I don't know who makes it--but some of the private-labeled small appliances seem to be less durable than "name brand." The one recommended by "America's Test Kitchen" happens to be the T-Fal Electronic Pressure Cooker (with Emeril's name on it, but it's a T-Fal.)

T-Fal makes a lot of pressure cookers (my stove top is a T Fal and I've had that for 20 years.) Of course T-Fal costs more than the TSV, which is pretty cheap for an electronic pressure cooker. I use my electric one a lot, especially in fall and winter. I can cook for the week and I even make frittatas in it.

To make a frittata, you need eggs, veg like onion, asparagus or any green veg (spinach), mushrooms, etc and grated potato or frozen hash browns. You brown the veg on the browning setting, pour on the beaten eggs and close the lid but don't pressure up. Cook on high for about seven minutes or until the egg is just set on top. You can put on grated cheddar if you like, but I find it's good without the cheese. Dump onto a serving platter and cut into wedges. This is great for Sunday breakfast or brunches. It is fast and feeds a multitude--and if you stuff it with vegetables, you are eating fewer eggs per person. It works with "Egg Beaters."

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking of getting the Instant Pot instead.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Instant Pot has great reviews, you can make yogurt in it, and it has a stainless steel pot. That would be my choice if I were in the market for an electricpressure cooker.
Honored Contributor

I would never buy Cook's Essentials anything again. I bought the cookware set several years ago. Was highly rated by Consumer Reports. It was a non-stick version and the small frying pan deteriorated in less than a year. There was a ""lifetime guaranty"" if I wanted to spend $10 to send it back. I can buy one locally for not much more than that. So much for CE.

Trusted Contributor

Many Cooks Essentials items are from Deni.

Frequent Contributor

On 9/10/2014 castlenv said:

I would never buy Cook's Essentials anything again. I bought the cookware set several years ago. Was highly rated by Consumer Reports. It was a non-stick version and the small frying pan deteriorated in less than a year. There was a ""lifetime guaranty"" if I wanted to spend $10 to send it back. I can buy one locally for not much more than that. So much for CE.

I assume you won't be reading Consumer Reports any longer either?

Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 cgando said:
On 9/10/2014 castlenv said:

I assume you won't be reading Consumer Reports any longer either?

You're right! I cancelled my subscription years ago!!!