Occasional Contributor

today special value: ice flowers

Can you please tell me the size of the blooms of the Ice Flower? Ordered two today and was curious. Also if you can plant in partial shaded areas? Can't wait to plant them! They look like a solution to fill an area other than mulching it!!! Thank you : )
Valued Contributor

Re: today special value: ice flowers

I ordered two sets but then canceled when I read the reviews...

They didn't do well at all....

Respected Contributor

We call them Ice plants in California. They are often grown on the sides of freeways. Not a highly valued plant.
Honored Contributor

I was astonished to see these as a TSV. I get contact dermatitis from the sap of these things, there is no way I'd ever plant them in my yard.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

On 1/20/2015 chessylady said: We call them Ice plants in California. They are often grown on the sides of freeways. Not a highly valued plant.

They're also grown amongst rock jettys at the beach.

Esteemed Contributor

The ice plants in California grow nothing but spider webs & the blooms last 2 weeks at most. Had them for years.

Occasional Contributor

I wanted to know the size of the bloom.
Respected Contributor

On 1/20/2015 chessylady said: We call them Ice plants in California. They are often grown on the sides of freeways. Not a highly valued plant.

If you see plants such as these or other plants/trees on the sides of freeways, you know they're easy to grow.

The cities/states aren't going to spend money fertilizing, watering etc. They're just planted and left to grow.