Contributor

Is it true that the Keurig 2.0 does not allow you to use any K cup that is not from Keurig? It is my understanding from an article recently posted that K is trying to rein in the money from sales of off brand K cups... Could someone with the Q please explain this to us. In other words, CAN YOU USE ANY K CUP with this machine, including the ones you fill yourself with your own coffee, and any off brands. I have heard there is a code reader in this machine and it will not allow anything but an "official" K cup. Please fill us in and Thank you.

Regular Contributor

Re: Keurig Buyers Beware....

I used to demo these machines for keurig at huge shows . It true the new one has a special thing where the k cups have something built into the top of them and any other brand wont work. Their patent ran out on the k cups awhile back that's why there were suddenly lots of non keurig brands. Yes, I believe it s a trick to get you to buy low cost machine and be forced to funnel all your k cup dollars to keurig only .

Super Contributor

I still have an older keurig but listened to the type of k cup needed and based upon what they said my k cups from Costco will work because around the rim it says keurig brand.
Contributor

Carolyn Gracie addressed me on her Q page regarding this question. Here is her response:

Carolyn Gracie QVC Hi Judy! Here's the scoop: As I understand it, Keurig has redone their k-cup labels over the past few months. All new k-cups have the new label with a ring around the outer border. The older Keurig models can still brew the original k-cups from a few months back or whatever you were using in them. The NEW 2.0 model that we had as yesterday's TSV, (and I believe all future Keurig brewers) will only work with the new label k-cups. In fact, Keurig does not make k-cups with the older label anymore....so even if you are not buying the 2.0, you will still be using the new k-cups in your current brewer from now on, after your older label k-cups are all used up. If you bought the new 2.0 brewer and you still have older k-cups, you can call Keurig customer service and see if they have a solution for you. I hope this helps to clarify!

Respected Contributor

Only k cups with a special code on top can be used in these machines. It tells it if you put in coffee, tea or cocoa and brews it for that item. No other item or cup you fill yourself can be used in 2.0 units.
Esteemed Contributor

I was tempted to buy the 2.0. And I understand the need to make a profit. It seems the only way to do it is SHUT EVERYONE ELSE OUT. However as a customer I prefer not to play the game. My Keurig will be just fine and I will not update. I have a large supply of K-cups that were on sale at Costco, Sams, and other assorted places. And I can still use my own coffee if I chose... not an option in this new brewer. It would seem the selling point is the carafe which makes no sense to me as the original Keurig "line" was to make individual cups for the individual choice of each drinker and not have to throw away the entire pot. Now they are providing "an entire pot." They are testing the waters.

There is a work around, I am told. Cut off the official seal from the top of the NEW Keurig K cup and paste it on the old version cup. It will take a bit more effort but it should work. I doubt the reader can tell the difference. In time there will probably be a version of this.

Contributor

I was totally able to solve this problem! I bought a Bunn MyCafe brewer from Amazon Smiley Happy)
Trusted Contributor

Well this stinks. Older kcups are being discontinued? The new kcups wont work in my older machine, making my old machine obsolete. Just tricky Keurig.
Respected Contributor

On 11/17/2014 springers said: Well this stinks. Older kcups are being discontinued? The new kcups wont work in my older machine, making my old machine obsolete. Just tricky Keurig.

Not true. The only difference with the "new" k-cups is the label on the top. They will continue to work in the older Keurig machines. The only cups that don't work in the older Keurig are the K-carafe cups and the Vue cups which only work in the Vue and 2.0 machines.

Super Contributor

I use San Francisco Bay coffee pods in my keurig, cheaper and much better flavor than any kcup. I guess I have two choices...buy an older model keurig to hold in reserve or purchase another brand. They really aren't fooling anyone with the bar code brewing the perfect cup of coffee nonsense. It's all about us having to purchase their overpriced kcups.