New Contributor

Your thoughts on this Turkey fryer?

I am seriously thinking of trying this. Have never used a turkey fryer before...thoughts?
Honored Contributor

Re: Your thoughts on this Turkey fryer?

Check out the other thread on this subject which is in the TSV talk.

New Contributor

I purchased the Butterball Masterbuilt TSV today in Cinnamon. I've been looking at this machine for quite some time now and I always wanted the XXL sized machine. I've been waiting an entire year to get this thing!!!

I've heard that fried turkey is the best, and I'll surely find out in about a week I guess, because I'm using that machine the minute it crosses my front door! LOL I would like to know if any type of oil can be used in this machine??? I heard peanut oil was the best for frying turkeys in... but I've also read that a majority of Southener's like frying their chicken in Lard. I guess that would be the same as Crisco. I personally use Canola and Vegetable... Love peanut oil, but it's a bit pricey. Can they all be used in this machine? Thank you.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor

I don't know any southerners that use lard now. Maybe it's just where I live, but I haven't heard of that well, since the early 1960s when corn and vegetable oil sort of became the standard--except for old timers who used Crisco. Lard is way different than Crisco.

New Contributor

On 10/22/2014 Sooner said:

I don't know any southerners that use lard now. Maybe it's just where I live, but I haven't heard of that well, since the early 1960s when corn and vegetable oil sort of became the standard--except for old timers who used Crisco. Lard is way different than Crisco.

Thanks for that tip Sooner. I read that off of website reviews online, and I live in NYC so I know nothing about Lard. LOL I use Canola or Vegetable Oil myself- whenever I can't afford the Peanut Oil... which is most of the time!

Honored Contributor

I've always heard that it's really good but, man, it looks like a lot of messy work! I read all the info that a poster provided in another thread about this (in the cooking forum) and it looks like quite a hassle for the average home-kitchen cook.

When I used to sometimes deep fry I always used peanut oil. It is definitely the best choice - well, assuming nobody is allergic of course. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I have and use an electric indoor/outdoor turkey fryer and use peanut oil. I am from the deep south and havent heard of anyone using lard since the 70's. Not sure you could use it in a turkey fryer or not.

Honored Contributor

You gotta really love turkey................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Already have the older smaller turkey fryer. All we use is peanut oil so I don't know how things turn out using other oils. You can use the oil more then once. Store it in the container it came in & put in the garage or basement where it's cool. I was going to pick up 2 turkey breasts at the store today & they did not have any.

Honored Contributor

Actually my moms generation used crisco ( which is hydrogenated oil), I use lard ( which is pig fat). I also use peanut oil and coconut oil when I want a liquid fat instead of a solid one like butter or lard. Fish, biscuits and chicken are incredible in lard.

We bought the TSV because my husband wanted it. We always smoke our turkey for Thanksgiving but I like that this fryer is bigger with more surface area than our current electric fryer.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval