Occasional Contributor

Do you realize that if you live in NY QVC should not be charging you sales tax there is no tax on any single item under $110 since April 1 2012. I called today and tried to speak to someone regarding this matter and they told me to fax a copy of my order to corporate.

HSN told me that they would get in touch with their people and make the proper adjustment

It is QVC's mistake and they should take care of it. If you live in NY state and have bought clothing or shoes under $110 for each item not the total order call them and complain and a refund. The order can total $111.00 BUT IF EACH ITEM IS UNDER $110.00-NO Sales taxx

Frequent Contributor

Re: new york state sales tax

Is that the whole state? I live in upstate New York and I am charged when ever I buy clothing or shoes. I just bought a pair of Clarks Unstructured and the tax on $130.00 was over $11.00!

Super Contributor

HSN ???YOU PAY TAX ON HSN ?????

Trusted Contributor

On 10/15/2014 micke said:

Do you realize that if you live in NY QVC should not be charging you sales tax there is no tax on any single item under $110 since April 1 2012. I called today and tried to speak to someone regarding this matter and they told me to fax a copy of my order to corporate.

HSN told me that they would get in touch with their people and make the proper adjustment

It is QVC's mistake and they should take care of it. If you live in NY state and have bought clothing or shoes under $110 for each item not the total order call them and complain and a refund. The order can total $111.00 BUT IF EACH ITEM IS UNDER $110.00-NO Sales taxx

This is only true in CERTAIN counties--NOT all of NY State. See NYS Publication 718-C for the correct info.

Esteemed Contributor

New York State has a 4% sales tax but exempts clothing/shoes under $110. Most counties levy an additional 4% tax (New York City has a total rate of 8.875%). It is up to the discretion of each county/city to exempt clothing or not. New York City does follow the State's clothing exemption. So you can still pay your County tax, but not the State portion. Remember in New York State that the sales tax is applied to S&H also. Most on line retailers can calculate the tax correctly based upon your zip code. I think this covers it all.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/15/2014 Johnnyeager said:

New York State has a 4% sales tax but exempts clothing/shoes under $110. Most counties levy an additional 4% tax (New York City has a total rate of 8.875%). It is up to the discretion of each county/city to exempt clothing or not. New York City does follow the State's clothing exemption. So you can still pay your County tax, but not the State portion. Remember in New York State that the sales tax is applied to S&H also. Most on line retailers can calculate the tax correctly based upon your aip code. I think this covers it all.

This sums up what Publication 718-C states. Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry turtle52, didnt see you also did this!

Super Contributor

My sales tax for my area in NYS. is 8%. Years ago Hsn did not charge sales tax.. However the past few years they do...

It's the LAW... Have been paying sales tax when ordering from QVC since I became a member.. Over 20 yrs ago....

lovestodance

Super Contributor

NOT TRUE!

Trusted Contributor

On 10/15/2014 Johnnyeager said:

Sorry turtle52, didnt see you also did this!

Don't be sorry. You did a great job summing it up. I read EVERYTHING but lots of people just want to know the answer.