Esteemed Contributor
I'm just not getting the best results with WEN and I was looking for a sulfate free shampoo. Has anyone tried this product and if so, what is your opinion of Alterna. I have very straight shoulder length hair and a fine texture.
Respected Contributor

Re: Has Anyone tried Alterna?

I haven't tried it, but I'm going to get the TSV. I'm always looking for a good volumizing shampoo and miss the original Ojon which is now totally different. I'm hoping Alterna will work for me.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

I have tried the very one on TSV, nothing special, about like any volumizer. I would say too I think Katie Holmes has short hair.
Trusted Contributor

I had very mixed results with Wen, mostly couldn't get it rinsed out. I like the Alterna Bamboo. I have used all 3 products in the TSV and just ordered it.

Valued Contributor

I have used the shampoo and conditioner and thought they were awful. Some of the worst I have ever used. I have fine, thin, straight, shoulder length hair and this weighed my hair down and made it look limp, greasy and lifeless. I gave it a worthy try, I used it at least 4-5 times and then gave it to my sister who has thick hair figuring it wouldn't weigh her down that bad (ironically since it is supposed to be a volumizing poo/cond).

The spray was not too bad. Not the top 5 of volumizing products I've tried but not awful like the poo/cond.

edited for typos

Occasional Contributor

I got the TSV and tried it yesterday…WOW! I like the shampoo and conditioner, including the nice fragrance, but the spray…Fabulous! My hair was very full and easy to manage! I received many compliments and "what did you do differently today?" Glad I ordered on auto!

Respected Contributor

I got the TSV and tried it and really like it. Glad i got it on A/D!

Trusted Contributor

The Alterna caviar shampoo is my absolute favorite of all time! I don't use it every day, though, due to the price. I'd like to try the Bamboo line because there are some affordable sets around.

Dermstore has some good buys on Alterna and they offer free shipping, no minimum.

Super Contributor

Years and years ago when it came out. I did not like it I guess but I use Serge Normant shampoos and conditioners and Davines.........

Respected Contributor

I purchased the Alterna TSV and used it today. It was a big flop and I'm returning it and canceling my auto delivery. Here is my review. (I have long hair a few inches past my shoulders).

While this product did not strip my highlights it did not give me the volume and lift that I get with Wen....in fact it looks quite flat. Regarding the shampoo, it was not a luxurious lather not by any stretch of the imagination. Also, after putting on the conditioner, my hair did not feel silky smooth nor did it untangle when rinsed out. Big difference from my experience with Wen. My hair was very easy to style after using Wen but this was not and took more time. Regarding the hairspray...I normally use John Frieda for blonde hair...the Alterna hairspray did not help at all as far as lift or holding ability but not only that it left a darkness at the root like other hairsprays have which is why I switched to John Frieda for blondes in the first place may years ago. Alterna is going back and I'm cancelling my auto delivery."

eta: I understand now that the spray is not for hold but for volume and you're supposed to spray it on towel dried hair. Oops! I thought it was a volumizing hair spray.