Honored Contributor

If You Drink Three Large Cups a Day, Won't KCups Be Costly?

I always wonder about the monthly cost of KCups. Green Mountain happens to be my favorite brand of coffee. I make 3 scoops, full and over the top, of whatever coffee I am using, with my regular brewer. I use 28 oz. Of water. I finish this daily. Will I go broke paying for KCups?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: If You Drink Three Large Cups a Day, Won't KCups Be Costly?

You and the Earth will pay dearly for this convenience. To me Keurig coffee is weak and the only solution is to make several smaller amounts and pour them into one larger cup. To get a decent 8oz cup I'd have to brew two 4oz cups. Your 28oz a day, for me, would be 7-8 kcups which on average cost .75 each; I think that's around 6 bucks a day.

Why not just use the little Keurig cup you fill with your own coffee? Save the Earth all the plastic and get the stronger brew you like at a reasonable price.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

We had a Keurig and returned it. The K cups were to expensive plus we also drink a lot of coffee and it ended up being to expensive for us to use.

We did try buying the filter so we could use our own coffee but the coffee was weak and I was cleaning the filter all the time, which was really messy.

I found it to be a huge waste of money so glad Kohls took it back. I'll stick with my standard coffee maker.

Frequent Contributor

You can buy a k-cup that you fill with your own coffee. That certainly would be cheaper.

Super Contributor

Good heavens, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! The first time I saw this contraption, I thought it was a JOKE!!! How many tons of plastic cups will be around 200000 yrs from now in landfills????

Of course, everyone realized that and they came out with the "scoop your own into this basket", but nobody I know does that.

My friend who already has been thru bankruptcy and is preparing to do it again of course uses this. Tried to say my instant Folgers is 5 cents/cup vs. her K cup at 50 cents/cup when it's on sale and she needs 2-3 pods per cup of coffee since it's so weak.

Yes, this is a money pit!

Valued Contributor

I love my Keurig and wouldn't give it up for anything..With that said I look for sales..Just today I found my Favorite K-Cup Gloria Jean Mudslide..for $6.99 for 24 K-Cups..That's 29 cents per cup....and I get deals like that all the time..you just have to shop around.There are numerous websites that sell K=Cups and I always get FREE SHIPPING!

Honored Contributor

I love my Kuerig by Cusinart, its on when I wake up no waiting, I drink a weak flavored coffee and my other half drinks a much stronger blend, each and ever cup is perfect for us, this alone makes it worth it to us

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

If your household all drinks the same kind of coffee, same strength, same time of day, etc. the Keurig probably isn't for you. It is more expensive per cup. But if one drinks caffeinated, another drinks decaf, another likes flavored, etc. this may be a better deal. I especially love it when we have company so everyone can have their own "brew" even hot chocolate or tea. I personally drink only black coffee from my Keurig Smiley Wink

Not all K-cup flavors are weak by the way. I always buy "bold" versions and avoid anything that is called Breakfast Blend since that is typically weaker. When you try a lot of different types you will find the one that works best for your taste buds. I love strong coffee and usually buy Kirkland's Pacific Blend. I brew it on the largest setting and think it is plenty strong. I don't think it makes the best cup of coffee on earth but it's as good as anything else I brew at home Smiley Wink

KJPA
Honored Contributor

You shouldn't wonder about the cost because that is simple math. For you it sounds like you don't need one or want one. For others I'll go so far as to say it is a blessing. ANY kind of coffee or hot drink you want ANY time, quickly and a quality beverage with NO cleanup. NO cleanup! How on earth can you beat that?

Trusted Contributor

Oh, as to the My K-Cup that everyone asks about. I can't stand that thing. In order to use it you have to pry out a part of the machine that holds the regular K-Cup and put the My K-Cup in. I've broken fingernails doing that Smiley Wink

See that big light gray piece shown below? That's the part that has to fit into the Keurig so you must remove the regular part that is that size from the machine. And you have to do that every time you go back and forth between using this thing and the regular K-Cups.

You can purchase these very inexpensive re-usuable cups (shown below) that don't require you to remove anything because they are the same size as the K-Cups. They are easy to rinse out too. You can buy these at lots of B&M stores and online. Much easier to use than the My K-cup. And much cheaper too although you can more easily break them.

KJPA