Contributor

Time to weigh in...thoughts on leather. Ok or not???

So, I won't wear leather. With all the great faux leathers, I'm bummed this was done with real animals. How about the rest of you? Would you be more interested in buying it if it aligned with your values and was faux leather??? {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Respected Contributor

Re: Time to weigh in...thoughts on leather. Ok or not???

No. I don't own any leather, but I like the real thing more than faux.

Contributor

No way would I ever contribute to the senseless slaughtering of animals. I am always amazed at the number of people that buy these jackets every year.

Respected Contributor

I am a leather loving girl and I am a meat eater. I think if you are going to kill and animal for meat then use all of the animal. Of course I grew up on a cattle ranch.

Super Contributor

On 8/2/2014 Kitlynn said:

I am a leather loving girl and I am a meat eater. I think if you are going to kill and animal for meat then use all of the animal. Of course I grew up on a cattle ranch.

I agree, use as much of the animal as possible. I love the way leather looks, feels and smells. I'm not much of a meat eater, but I think leather is beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

I like leather...especially in my shoes...those "plastic" materials just kill my already bad feet...like the feel of leather in my jackets, too...

Forgot to mention I eat meat...give me a good burger or steak...yum....

Trusted Contributor

I am deliberately trying to avoid buying leather, even as trim on a product. I am not a vegetarian. With that being said, I wish someone would ask Lisa how many animals were slaughtered for those jackets. Could you imagine how popular a no - leather show would be? They could advertise it as an alternative to leather show. I think it would be very popular.
Super Contributor

No real leather for me either. There is no need to kill animals for fashion!

Trusted Contributor

I don't purposely go out searching for leather products. However, I do purchase leather shoes or handbags if something appeals to me.

Honored Contributor

I have worn leather and fur in the past but much less recently. I don't wear faux leather shoes because they make my feat sweat too much. I eat eggs every day, very occasionally chicken and pork. I wear Dennis Basso faux fur because It is the best way for me to tolerate severe cold. Without it, I'd be a hermit in the winter. When I receive compliments on my faux fur garments, I ALWAYS say "Thank You" and immediately add, EVERY TIME, that no animals were killed in the production of my coat. Don't pile on, I know that there is some connection to be made with a designer who sells both natural and faux fur, but I am stating MY stance on MY ethics. I too was raised in a household in which animals were hunted for food (during the Depression) and everything was used. If/when synthetics are developed that meet my needs, I will use even less animal products than I do now.