Contributor
Anyone have the fitbit? Do you like it? Is it just a fancy pedometer? Thanks!
Super Contributor

I just caved and ordered one. After reading the initial reviews on Q I wasn't impressed, but I read reviews from other sites and decided to give it a try.

Honored Contributor

I was going to order it and then I realized I would have to wear the thing all of the time! I'm all about having all of my jewelry matching.

That thing would mess up my look! Ha! It's not like it would matter anyway.

Respected Contributor

Just another gadget to keep track of something. I just don't get why one would need this.

Esteemed Contributor

I love gadgets. But for my lifestyle I am not sure what I would do with it. Interesting. Not sure, I might just cave and buy it anyway and find a purpose for it.

Contributor

I decided to go for it! I have been back and forth on should I buy it shouldn't I for awhile and for the fact it is on easy pay is what made me finally go for it. I can get this at many local stores but they sure do not offer easy pay and some want a restocking fee if returned (if will let you return at all)

So there is a small pink one coming my way!!!! It will be cool to see how much I walk in Disney in July!

Contributor
I saw Antonella wearing it in the jewelry shows last week and it did look strange next to the nice bracelets and watches. I might cave and buy it, nice to,have time to try it out and return if necessary.
Esteemed Contributor
On 6/9/2014 sparklestar said:

Just another gadget to keep track of something. I just don't get why one would need this.

I don't get it either. I am a gadget person but to me this is ridiculous.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

This review from Amazon sums up the pros/cons the best:

The Flex is pretty good - IF you understand its limitations.

The underlying technological problem, as I see it, is in the placement of the tracker. Up until now, Fitbit trackers were to be placed on the torso. Now, it must be placed on the wrist (yes, the tracker itself can be taken out of the wristband and put into your pocket but all of Fitbit's calibrations and algorithms are designed for that wrist placement and you are making the problem worse by not having it on your wrist). So, if your wrist movement is ANYTHING other than the usual movement of either running or walking, your step count/mileage is going to be off - often way, way off.

Fitbit markets the Flex as an "activity monitor", implying that it is capable of keeping stats on your physical activities. Well, because of the wrist location issue and the basic design structure of using two stride lengths for all calculations (your walking and running stride lengths), pretty much any activity that is NOT walking or running cannot be accurately monitored: the accelerometer senses whether you are walking or running and multiplies the appropriate stride length by the number of steps sensed (and arrives at a mileage distance). Any activity outside of that limited ability of the Flex, your stats are innacurate. This includes stair-climbing, hiking, tennis, golf, biking, working out, and pretty much every other "activity" that is not walking or running. The Flex is not really an "activity monitor".

There are, however, aspects of the Flex that are quite good: it does accurately keep track of your walking and running, it does keep track of your sleeping patterns, and it also wakes you with a silent vibration on your wrist at the time you set to get up in the morning. And once out of bed and into the shower, there's no need to take the Flex off: it's almost completely waterproof (pressurized water being the exception). But the best, perhaps life-enhancing aspect of the Flex is its ability to keep you focused on your exercise goals (which is the main reason why, overall, I like the device and its software - to a point): if you DO consider it only a pedometer with cool software, which is what I consider it to be, you will not be disappointed (though the price may not seem worth it to others).

Honored Contributor
On 6/9/2014 annabellethecat said:

I was going to order it and then I realized I would have to wear the thing all of the time! I'm all about having all of my jewelry matching.

That thing would mess up my look! Ha! It's not like it would matter anyway.

You said in another thread that you did order one and returned it because you couldn't figure it out.