Esteemed Contributor

My laptop died. I have a desktop - it's okay. Then saw on news a few weeks ago that everyone should buy a new computer because microsoft will no longer be protecting the systems and supposedly there's no walls out there that will fully protect the XP's. Just doesn't make sense that so many people will have to go out and buy new computers?

So, is there any truth to this? And, if so, can I just pick-up a tablet, e.g., today's TSV?

Honored Contributor

What I've heard is that MS is discontinuing tech help or patches on Windows XP only. I have no interest in tablets, but I doubt there are any with Windows XP on them since that OS is almost 20 years old.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

If your desktop is after 2006, you should be able to update to the current Windows version (if you don't have it already). As far as a laptop vs. tablet, depends on what you use your laptop currently for, if you do a lot of work ie. office suite type of work then you want another laptop, if you want more entertainment ie. movies, books, etc. then a tablet would be fine, depends on your needs really.

Respected Contributor
It's true that MSFT no longer provides security updatrs for XP. Some of the anti-virus companies will, but will they be savvy about all the scurity holes in XP? Time will tell. A PC might have the hardware needed to upgrade to Win 7 or 8.1. Mine didn't, so I bought a new comptuer, not having the trust that my anti-virus supplier will find issues before they happen. Before I bought the new computer, I assessed if a tablet could do everything I need to do, and I decided the answer was no. Others will find that it does. You didn't say what OS your desktop runs. If it's something newer than XP, you're ok. If it's running XP, see if you can upgrade to a newer OS. There's a utility on MSFT that will test your system and let you know. If you can't upgrade, see if you anti-virus wiil continuue to support XP and decide if your OK with that level of support. If not, think about whether you need a comptuer or if a tablet will do the job. BTW, I love Win 8, and I'm glad I got a new computer. Prices have come way down....I got mine for less than $400. It's so much better than my old laptop. I love it. (Sorry for lack of paragrphing....submitting via tablet and line feeds are deleted: when I post.)
Respected Contributor
Ford, fyi. I read that about 30% of the computer out there still run XP. A lot of people were like me...it served there needs and there was no need to upgrade to a newer OS. Now that I've used Win 8, I think MSFT was right, it'time to retire XP. I still have and use my XP system, but it seems clunky to me now.
Esteemed Contributor

You do need a computer that is running. It should have an OS that is not Window XP. I like tablets, and use mine for many tasks. You can view movies, TV shows, read Kindle books, play music etc. The list goes on. If you are going to buy a tablet, the Apple Air is the best choice.

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/20/2014 nomless said: It's true that MSFT no longer provides security updatrs for XP. Some of the anti-virus companies will, but will they be savvy about all the scurity holes in XP. Time will tell. A PC might have the hardware needed to upgrade to Win 7 or 8.1. Mine didn't, so I bought a new comptuer, not having the trust that my anti-virus supplier will find issues before they happen. Before I bought the new computer, I assessed if a tablet could do everything I need to do, and I decided the answer was no. Others will find that it does. You didn't say what OS your desktop runs. If it's something newer than XP, you're ok. If it's running XP, see if you can upgrade to a newer OS. There's a utuility on MSFT that will test your system and let you know. If you can't upgrade, see if you anti-virus wiil continuue to support XP and decide if your OK with that level of support. If not, thin,k about hether you need a comptuer or if a tablet will do the job. BTW, I love Win 8, and I'm glad I got a new computer. Prices have come way down....I got mine for less than $400. It's so much better than my old laptop. I love it.

IMHO anyone trying to update a Window XP machine is throwing away money.

Honored Contributor

Last week we had 3 computers - one was a 12 year old windows XP so we can't use it anymore - my Asus tablet decided one day to just not turn on anymore so it has been sent to the manufacturer for service and all we currently have running is our Dell windows 7 laptop, that we are having to share. I hope to hear that there is hope for a + outcome on my Asus, but if not I will definitely replace it, probably with the same thing as I have paid for a keyboard for it and I prefer to have that. DH said he may buy an all in one desktop next fall - in the meanwhile we do still have the Dell laptop.

Obviously, this is the smartest move Microsoft ever made as they are going to sell a ton of new computers. It's a shame for us as our 12 year old HP still was a great computer. In all that time we took it for service once because it was very slow and for a few hundred dollars they cleaned it up and it once again ran like a dream. (sigh).

Honored Contributor
On 4/20/2014 nutmeg3 said:

You do need a computer that is running. It should have an OS that is not Window XP. I like tablets, and use mine for many tasks. You can view movies, TV shows, read Kindle books, play music etc. The list goes on. If you are going to buy a tablet, the Apple Air is the best choice.

Last summer I was using my tablet for everything - even paying the bills with it - but I found out that not everything I thought was being sent was actually sent. Some of the bills were not paid even though I had sent them SO now I use our windows laptop for anything important like banking and paying bills. I know some folks trust that their tablets and even phones are sufficient for this but I do not - one bad experience taught me a lesson. Thank goodness I keep through records including the reference # assigned to tasks by my bank as I needed that information when I called them last summer to figure out why some bills had scheduled to be paid were not paid. They said it was a bad idea to use an android device for important tasks like this.

Honored Contributor

I replaced my XP desktop a month ago with a laptop 8.1 and I also have a HD Kindle. I like the flexibility of having both and use both daily. If I could only have one, I'd have the laptop.