Give Gorgeous
39 Members and 10217 Guests Online

TSV Talk

TRACFONE

Started 1386683230.647 in TSV Talk | Last reply 1386809228.99 by Sunshine Kate

I'm looking to purchase a new Tracfone. Anyone have the TSV or could give recommendations?

Page 1 of 1
autumnsuns­et1386684190.7272401 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We bought the Tracfone LG840G about two months ago for $79.99 it came with 1500 minutes we love it best cell phone we ever had and it came with triple minutes for life it is so clear and no dropped calls in our area.

I think QVC is sold out but HSN had the same phone and you can get it on amazon this phone has text and data but we only use it for phone calls only.

Tracfone customer service the people are hard to understand the young man I had to set the phones up said he was in South America he was very polite but he was hard to understand but we both took out time talking and we got both phones connected with no problem. We are very happy with out Tracfone and with the service.

adelle381386685670.798984 PostsRegistered 12/22/2007

I have the LG840G and like it a lot but it's not a true Android. I would purchase the TSV if the minutes lasted 1 year instead of only 90 days. Since I don't use my minutes up quickly the TSV is not a good by for me.

"Fear always springs from ignorance."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

spunky231386686602.483141 PostsRegistered 5/7/2009
I have both the LG840G and this Samsung smartphone tracfones. I got both from the other shopping ch. The Samsung is the true smartphone and the LG looks like one. The Samsung is alittle longer and heavier...thats why I like the LG better. Both have the triple minutes,and triple time purchase pros, but the Samsung also triples data . Both function the same with messages and sending pics. The Tsv Samsung has the audible commands for texting and calling, etc. All in all, buy another minutes card and your timeframe will last longer. ITS STILL CHEAPER than contract plans and an iphone.

circles1386688862.58717555 PostsRegistered 5/11/2005N.J.

Like spunky.....I have the same two phones...from HSN....love them both....but the LG is easier to use...and its $69.95 on HSN....told my nephew about that phone and he bought one,too and loves it...

beachgirl641386689912.75799 PostsRegistered 10/1/2012

Hello! My parents want to get a cell phone. They will use it primarily for emergencies. Is this too much phone for them? They do not have a computer or are very tech knowledgeable.

However, when my Dad used to work, he loved emailing me and I know my Mom would LOVE emailing and the Internet if she tried it.

Thoughts on this one? Or, I'm wondering if they would be better going to RadioShack or someplace that they could walk in later and get assistance if needed.

I don't live near them so I could only be of help over the phone (which is the only reason they have not gotten a computer, in case something went wrong with it).

Thank you!

Gogos1386690210.33642 PostsRegistered 6/7/2006California

I changed from T-Mobile to Tracfone after I purchased one for my husband. The coverage is much better, the minutes is much better. He could get signal in remote areas that his old phone couldn't get and his brother's carrier couldn't get. IF you want an Android Tracfone has one and they may have some more here on QVC. It was a TSV. ONE THING about the android. It eats up battery big time if you use it for notifications for email, etc. I shutdown all that and I'm using it just as a regular cell phone because I like the button functions better on it than the regular phone. Either way the coverage and minutes are MUCH better. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" John 14:6

SiameezeLo­ver!1386690857.6971830 PostsRegistered 5/5/2006Green Mountains :)

I have both the LG840 and the Samsung - The LG840 is on AT & T GSM network and the Samsung is on the Verizon/TMobile network. Where I live in VT - I feel that the GSM network of AT & T comes in better than Verizon. I used to be a Verizon subscriber and had great coverage, but I noticed now that AT & T seems to be better coverage. If you have the LG840 and have the minutes left - when you transfer over your minutes to the Samsung all your minutes covert to phone minutes, data(internet surfing) and text messaging - plus however many months you have left on your LG840 will transfer over to the Samsung.

I like the Android not being crimped and full featured, but I feel that the AT&T network comes in better for Vermont...

Both phones are very nice - I may transfer my minutes back over to the LG840...If you need to buy a card to extend beyond the 90 days - makes more sense to by the LG840 at the other channel - get the 1500 minutes and a years worth of Tracfone...Then if your android is lost or goes belly up - you can have a backup phone..

sciencegeek1386693501.14534 PostsRegistered 7/18/2013
On 12/10/2013 beachgirl64 said:

Hello! My parents want to get a cell phone. They will use it primarily for emergencies. Is this too much phone for them? They do not have a computer or are very tech knowledgeable.

However, when my Dad used to work, he loved emailing me and I know my Mom would LOVE emailing and the Internet if she tried it.

Thoughts on this one? Or, I'm wondering if they would be better going to RadioShack or someplace that they could walk in later and get assistance if needed.

I don't live near them so I could only be of help over the phone (which is the only reason they have not gotten a computer, in case something went wrong with it).

Thank you!

While many oldsters are tech savvy, the Samsung would be too much for my parents. They use their phones to talk, and send an occasional text to one of their grandchildren. For them, the LG840 deal is much better--the 1500 minutes last almost the entire year for them. They could still go on the internet on it if they wanted, but the phone screens are tiny enough that they don't.

suzyQ31386694056.91725128 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

:

Last edited on 12/10/2013

The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story -- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

straitgirl1386694423.15721707 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

Whenever a channel has a tsv phone I cannot order as the coverage does not include my area. Be sure & check the map.

Pook1386695378.153819 PostsRegistered 5/5/2007

Does anyone know what this means? Access to and use of the Internet may require payment of a separate fee to an Internet Service Provider. This wasn't mentioned on any of the presentations that I saw. If I have to pay for Internet then what's the point of the tracfone that has apps, etc? I liked the GPS aspect but if I have to pay for service to an internet provider then I might just as well get a GPS or a phone contract. I like my tracfone but if this does not get the internet all the time then I don't want it. Does that mean you can only access the internet from a wifi enabled area?

adelle 38 - your minutes are carried over - you just pay for service for periods of time. You never loose minutes. I have over 4,000 since I don't use my phone much.

kachina6241386700480.5616317 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
It just means you have to pay for wifi if you want to use it. You don't need it to use the phone.

moonstone ­dunes1386703398.862300 PostsRegistered 11/6/2011

You can use the internet on the phone with your own ISP at home or in places that have free wifi like Starbucks. You do need to add your WEP or look for the wifi signal in a public domain and enable it.

I have this Samsung from the other channel. The coverage is great. No dropped calls, had T-Mobile for way too long with poor signal. And no bills!

The first one I returned because the battery overheated after about 10 days. I had made two calls and several texts.

I'm on my second now going on 8 weeks. I already had to buy airtime and minutes because I blew through 500 voice minutes. I ordered online, got triple minutes divvied up 600/600/600. NO Bonus minutes with Androids though.

There is a learning curve - if you have not used touchscreen there is a trick to texting. Light touch! and patience. I still have trouble with answering calls. I keep wifi and data disabled most of the time unless I'm out.

"Sursum Corda"

Shorty2U1386712122.5214951 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007PA

I have an old tracfone flip top. Their customer service is terrible (cant understand a word they say). Service is great though, (and Im in the sticks) but I hardly use it. I got it for emergencies only. This TSV one is ok if you don't hang on the phone but my son in law says it doesn't have near the power of the new cells and the data part will eat up minutes in no time if you use it a lot. Again its for people who don't use them much. I was going to get it because people said I need to get with it and update my cell, lol. but I think I will pass since I rarely use my old one.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Pook1386712636.6833819 PostsRegistered 5/5/2007
On 12/10/2013 kachina624 said: It just means you have to pay for wifi if you want to use it. You don't need it to use the phone.

Not sure what that means. It sounds like you have to get a carrier if you want to insure you have internet access with this phone and that's like a contract phone isn't it? I thought the internet access was there and you use your minutes when you use it but it's confusing to me. I have limited access to the internet with the tracfone I have now.

Gogos1386716540.323642 PostsRegistered 6/7/2006California
On 12/10/2013 Pook said:
On 12/10/2013 kachina624 said: It just means you have to pay for wifi if you want to use it. You don't need it to use the phone.

Not sure what that means. It sounds like you have to get a carrier if you want to insure you have internet access with this phone and that's like a contract phone isn't it? I thought the internet access was there and you use your minutes when you use it but it's confusing to me. I have limited access to the internet with the tracfone I have now.

Pook usually the internet provider for a tablet or phone is about $20 a month and I think you can shut it off. You don't need it to make calls only if you're trying to use email or facebook etc where you need a web browser to connect to the internet. If you have wireless internet in your home you won't need to pay for service. If you only try to use it in places like Starbucks were they have free wifi (wireless) service you connect when you are there. I wouldn't do anything important using a public wireless access. You can get hacked.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" John 14:6

ChynnaBlue1386718952.8135401 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012
On 12/10/2013 beachgirl64 said:

Thank you!

I would say yes, based on how much I've had to help my computer illiterate mother with her iPad. I would also not recommend a phone as their primary source of email or internet access, especially if your mom has no previous experience. The screen and keys are small for older eyes small and the interface of some websites can be confusing for someone who's not been online on a computer before. I've been trying to help my mom with her iPad over the phone for a year now and it's not fun.

I would recommend a more basic phone. If you want them to have internet access via a computer or a tablet, I would let them pick it out and maybe include a tech support source and a note saying you'll pay for some adult education courses for them.

Sunshine K­ate1386720308.4212266 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky
On 12/10/2013 Pook said:

Does anyone know what this means? Access to and use of the Internet may require payment of a separate fee to an Internet Service Provider. This wasn't mentioned on any of the presentations that I saw. If I have to pay for Internet then what's the point of the tracfone that has apps, etc? I liked the GPS aspect but if I have to pay for service to an internet provider then I might just as well get a GPS or a phone contract. I like my tracfone but if this does not get the internet all the time then I don't want it. Does that mean you can only access the internet from a wifi enabled area?

adelle 38 - your minutes are carried over - you just pay for service for periods of time. You never loose minutes. I have over 4,000 since I don't use my phone much.

Is it only with Tracfone that the minutes are carried over?

Respectfully ~
Kate

LuvMyTzus1386722058.13715 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

This Tracfone sounds like a good deal. My hubby and I currently have a plan with Verizon who is always sticking something new on the bill. I have a Windows 928 (bad choice) and he has one of Fred Flintstone's leftovers! We would primarily get the phone for him and cut off the phone service to his outside "mancave" and take him off of my Verizon account. He is clueless about texting or any computer, so that doesn't matter. Sounds like from what I am reading that he would be better off with one from HSN instead of this one. We are trying to cut down on our monthly bills since he is on a fixed income. All he wants to use his cell phone for is to TALK!

CLEM1386722331.17712525 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008PA

I think this is the one that HSN had a few months ago and which I returned because a) the minutes expire every 90 days and b) if you buy 600 minutes, you may get triple, but they then are divided into 1/3 each for phone calls, internet, and texting (I think). Also there were many problems with initiating it at the time. That may have been straightened out in the meantime.

Wadzlla1386792307.781976 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009
On 12/10/2013 Sunshine Kate said:
On 12/10/2013 Pook said:

You can use the minutes on your phone that you have paid for to access the internet, or you can connect to the wifi internet in your home or anywhere there is free wifi. When you connect to the internet through wifi on your tracphone, it is free.

Sunshine K­ate1386809228.9912266 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky
On 12/11/2013 Wadzlla said:
On 12/10/2013 Sunshine Kate said:
On 12/10/2013 Pook said:

You can use the minutes on your phone that you have paid for to access the internet, or you can connect to the wifi internet in your home or anywhere there is free wifi. When you connect to the internet through wifi on your tracphone, it is free.

Thanks!

Respectfully ~
Kate

Page 1 of 1