TSV(R) Preview
59 Members and 8812 Guests Online

TSV Talk

Corky's and the bar b q sauce

Started 1376455129.02 in TSV Talk | Last reply 1376628997.42 by Plumnelly
I do not know if I would like David NC bar b q sauce, but I noticed it is lower in calories and carbs!

Page 1 of 1
vicki is ok1376475488.8471502 PostsRegistered 11/21/2005michigan

Hello Jano

I have had NC BBQ and it is traditionally more tangy because of the amt. of vinegar they use. I really liked it, but have not tried David's version of it. I don't care for an oversweet bbq sauce so this one sounds better to me. I probably won't order it but just wanted to let you know my experience with the NC BBQ.

Vicki{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen-Winston Churchill

katiescarl­ett1376490416.721343 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007South Carolina

I watched the first presentation last night and the Corky's guy commented that there are two kinds of bbq sauce, tomato-based and the NC vinegar-based. Well, he was not correct and left out the SC mustard-based which is very popular where I live.

"Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of
man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it
surely will change the world for that one dog." - Richard C. Call

crush1376511101.4772128 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC

I'm from NC, so since I grew up on the vinegar sauce, I'm probably a little biased. I love vinegar based sauces. In fact, I live in eastern NC, so in our pulled pork or chopped pork, our sauces are primarily vinegar with pepper and maybe a little sugar. Western NC barbecue has some ketchup/tomato sauce in it. You'll find various combos across the state. I definitely prefer the vinegar based sauces over the tomato based sauces! It definitely has a "kick" to it!

cjmcp1376514310.8231587 PostsRegistered 12/23/2004Texas

Sad to see that all 3 sauces contain HFCS.

Arley1376587397.79505 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 8/14/2013 katiescarlett said:

I watched the first presentation last night and the Corky's guy commented that there are two kinds of bbq sauce, tomato-based and the NC vinegar-based. Well, he was not correct and left out the SC mustard-based which is very popular where I live.

I would love to try the mustard based. That sounds very good. I did order the honey bbq. I was afraid I would not like the vinegar!!!

Arley

katiescarl­ett1376602888.41343 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007South Carolina
On 8/14/2013 crush said:

I'm from NC, so since I grew up on the vinegar sauce, I'm probably a little biased. I love vinegar based sauces. In fact, I live in eastern NC, so in our pulled pork or chopped pork, our sauces are primarily vinegar with pepper and maybe a little sugar. Western NC barbecue has some ketchup/tomato sauce in it. You'll find various combos across the state. I definitely prefer the vinegar based sauces over the tomato based sauces! It definitely has a "kick" to it!

crush, the vinegar based you describe is the NC BBQ that I know, not the ketchup/tomato based QVC showed. It is very good!

katiescarl­ett1376602985.311343 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007South Carolina
On 8/15/2013 Arley said:
On 8/14/2013 katiescarlett said:

I would love to try the mustard based. That sounds very good. I did order the honey bbq. I was afraid I would not like the vinegar!!!

Arley

Check out Shealy's BBQ in Batesburg-Leesville, SC. I think they sell online and their BBQ is famous around here. and it is mustard based.

madame j1376603051.26538 PostsRegistered 10/22/2012Texas

I wondered about the new sauce too. They don't have Corkys restaurants here in Texas, but we had them in Georgia and loved them.

birkin baby1376605536.994901 PostsRegistered 1/20/2011

Another NC girl here.Bbq is my very fav meat and I love a vinegar based sauce.I also love our BBQ slaw with a vinegar base.Goodness I can't wait for the schools and fire dept BBQ' s. There is nothing better than a box of BBQ,slaw,baked beans,bag of chips,a piece of sandwich bread,and that little slice of cake..lol.Or do you get the sandwiches instead??? Lol!!!

Bytheseash­ore1376614157.7238 PostsRegistered 4/6/2010
On 8/15/2013 birkin baby said:

Another NC girl here.Bbq is my very fav meat and I love a vinegar based sauce.I also love our BBQ slaw with a vinegar base.Goodness I can't wait for the schools and fire dept BBQ' s. There is nothing better than a box of BBQ,slaw,baked beans,bag of chips,a piece of sandwich bread,and that little slice of cake..lol.Or do you get the sandwiches instead??? Lol!!!

I'm an NC girl, too. I prefer the vinegar based sauce too. I have eaten BBQ in all parts of NC, SC, and Texas, where we lived for a while when my husband was in the army. In Texas the 'que is usually beef, and a lot of it is beef brisket. It is all good, just a matter of acquired taste.

My late husband was an excellent bbq chef, Eastern NC sauce. He made his own vinegar based sauce and cooked on a charcoal fired pig cooker. He added hickory chips to the fire. Awesome! To each his/her own, just enjoy!

birkin baby1376614607.2534901 PostsRegistered 1/20/2011
On 8/15/2013 Bytheseashore said:
On 8/15/2013 birkin baby said:

I'm an NC girl, too. I prefer the vinegar based sauce too. I have eaten BBQ in all parts of NC, SC, and Texas, where we lived for a while when my husband was in the army. In Texas the 'que is usually beef, and a lot of it is beef brisket. It is all good, just a matter of acquired taste.

My late husband was an excellent bbq chef, Eastern NC sauce. He made his own vinegar based sauce and cooked on a charcoal fired pig cooker. He added hickory chips to the fire. Awesome! To each his/her own, just enjoy!

I don't pass up any bbq....lol.

Amaly1376627025.1073587 PostsRegistered 8/23/2008cali

The sauce's sound good but the ribs I ordered sure didn't look like on the presentation. I can't believe they were named #1 ribs. Mine were small and grisly with almost no meat. I haven't ordered any food since the ribs, crab cakes and steakburgers. The crabcakes were tossed and burgers were refunded.

Plumnelly1376628997.42760 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007

I'm from Memphis & dearly love Corky's sauce; I buy 2 gallons of it when I visit. I must admit I've not developed a taste for vinegar, mustard, white, or other eastern sauces, though Sconyers' (Augusta) is superb.

However, the HFCS has got to go from all of it!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

With all that being said, delicious BBQ is enjoyed best without any sauce to mask the skill of the pit master as well as the quality of the meat!

"It's amazing how long it takes to finish something you're not working on."

Page 1 of 1