Give Gorgeous
150 Members and 11774 Guests Online

TSV Talk

African American Hair

Started 1354994804.887 in TSV Talk | Last reply 1355091314.643 by nikki48

I am very interested in trying WEN but Chaz does not give enough information about what the African American model uses on her hair. Chaz illustrates how soft her hair is but never talks about her hair in the same length he does the other models. It is for this reason that I have never purchased WEN. I would love to leave the relaxers and the straightening but I do not know where to start. Please help.

Page 1 of 1
sydsgma1354994911.9333580 PostsRegistered 2/11/2008land of ice and snow and valley of the sun

My dgd is mixed and we tried Wen to no avail. Her hairdresser who is African American said NO!

She does much better with Carol's Daughter and Ouidad products.

Giggle a bit...it is good for the soul.

D Oro1354995325.114072 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA

I don't know much but there are videos on YouTube. Check out his website too. Good luck.

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

HBNY741354996213.737361 PostsRegistered 12/1/2011

I am mixed and use Wen, and I love it. I understand perfectly your frustration...There is a video of Katia (that's the thin AA model) on his You Tube channel. You could check it out. I know she uses Fig and 613 among others. He has I think a couple more videos on AA models.

I've been using wen for almost 2 years now. Use Fig and Tea tree, my hair is very curly 3c type. From the seasonals, which are in the TSV, Winter and Summer Scents are winners, Fall is mixed with my Fig because I need the moisture, and I stay away from the Spring scent, extra drying on my hair. Everybody is different of course.

You should post this in the Wen forum, you'll get a lot more answers. HTH :)

Closer11354996740.213885 PostsRegistered 6/29/2007

I think Chaz has a toll free number. Perhaps you can call one of his customer service agents for more specific / detailed advice. My neighbor owns upscale salons in New York Tristate area. She is convinced that she has been successful in part, because she realized that there is no such thing as African American hair. She says AA's have the most diverse hair her salons encounter. Her customers come in with chemically staightened and virgin hair. Their hair types range from naturally straight, wavy , curly & coarse hair. So, Her salon handles each customer as individuals. She used to lose business because she assumed she couldn't successfully style ethnic hair. Lessons learned, she has been making a killing over the past few years.

achyrelle1354998594.137271 PostsRegistered 8/26/2011

I think thi stuff works for some and not for others -- all races. I am AA, did not work for me.{#emotions_dlg.bored}

olewoman1355010242.042111 PostsRegistered 10/19/2008only my friends
My 15 year old bi racial grandaughter will use nothing but wen especially 613 you would not beleive how good her hair looks and she uses only wen she has no split ends. You should have seen her hair before and now all she does is wash and go.

shoekitty1355011240.38712963 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

There was an African American thread about WEN a year or so ago. Many ladies were raving, about the Pomegranate WEN. I used to teach Trichology to Cosmetology schools, years ago. I am always interested in everyone's hair. I totally agree with a poster above, AA hair is the most diverse of any hair. The range of fineness, and the structure and shape of the follicle (where straight or curly is decided) is amazing! The more ovate the follicle, the curlier the strand of hair. Most African American hair is fine, with an almost absent medulla in some. The more absent the medulla, the more delicate the hair can be. I would think WEN might act as a conditioning "filler". I personally agree WEN Pomagranite would work well. Especially to cleanse and moisturize the scalp.But some eople have adverse effects. It is not a one shoe fits all shampoo at all.. I don't know if some of the other "flavors" would work as well. JMHO

Shoe

Last edited on 12/8/2012

Last edited on 12/8/2012

Last edited on 12/8/2012

Last edited on 12/8/2012

Last edited on 12/8/2012

life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death!"
Auntie Mame

pickles1231355011854.603594 PostsRegistered 10/23/2012

I agree! I wish Chaz would talk more about the Curly model. I guess he can't spend much time on anyone type.

I know it is expensive; but, try one of the 16 oz bottles of one of the more moisturizing products and see how your hair reacts.

I have 3B hair and think I could use a little more moisture so I use his deep conditioning treatment once a week. I really like the Sweet Almond Mint re-moist Hydrating Hair Mask.

I do the CC process and then put the mask on and sleep in it and then rinse it out in the a.m. It seems to do a good job for me.

shoekitty1355012098.95312963 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006

I wanted to add to Closer1 friend is the business is right about the AA diversity. That is because AA ancestry comes from everywhere all over the world, and has many ethnicity's. Their hair should be treated on a one on one basis. One fact is true, AA is fine and dense. Scalp needs special treatment. As anyone with fine, curly hair knows (and I am one with fine, curly, curly hair), the hair needs special treatment. Especially, if chemical treatments are used. I think WEN would work.

Last edited on 12/8/2012

Last edited on 12/8/2012

Auntie Mame

mallrat1355012775.967581 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007
On 12/8/2012 shoekitty said:

I wanted to add to Closer1 friend is the business is right about the AA diversity. That is because AA ancestry comes from everywhere all over the world, and has many ethnicity's. Their hair should be treated on a one on one basis. One fact is true, AA is fine and dense. Scalp needs special treatment. As anyone with fine, curly hair knows (and I am one with fine, curly, curly hair), the hair needs special treatment. Especially, if chemical treatments are used. I think WEN would work.

Last edited on 12/8/2012

No, that is not true. Black hair is not ALL fine and dense. Where in the world did you get that from?

Karma has no menu. You get served what you deserve.

shoekitty1355020138.77712963 PostsRegistered 8/10/2006
On 12/8/2012 mallrat said:
On 12/8/2012 shoekitty said:

I wanted to add to Closer1 friend is the business is right about the AA diversity. That is because AA ancestry comes from everywhere all over the world, and has many ethnicity's. Their hair should be treated on a one on one basis. One fact is true, AA is fine and dense. Scalp needs special treatment. As <em>anyone</em> with fine, curly hair knows (and I am one with fine, curly, curly hair), the hair needs special treatment. Especially, if chemical treatments are used. I think WEN would work.

Last edited on 12/8/2012

No, that is not true. Black hair is not ALL fine and dense. Where in the world did you get that from?

Well, I didn't want to get all technical, and do a thesis on all hair texture. But you are right not all hair (AA and anyone) is fine, or dense. I should have said, "a great deal of AA is fine and dense." Just as all AA hair is not straight or not curly. 3b hair can be course, although some 3b hair is fine, soft with the best, well defined curl. Gorgeous. texture. . Good grief, I am caucasian and I have fine and dense hair. I have areas that are straight, and areas that are ringlet curly. Not so dense now since I lost quite a bit as I aged. . But it was! After months of radiation, some of the follicles on my head changed, Sniff. Hense, areas that are curly, areas that are straight. I want my dense hair back.

Read the sentences before my statement about fine hair. Fine has to do with with actual strand coming out of the follicle. On the average AA can be fine. But who is average? Density has to do with the actual number of hairs counted per square inch on the crown of the head. Caucasian Blonds take the prize for most hairs per square inch, redheads have the least hairs per square inch. There are blonds and redheads who do not fit this profile, because although this is science, it cannot include ALL blonds or redheads. Anyway, this is a subject that can be studied forever. Mine are general statements with many possibilities.

Last edited on 12/8/2012

Last edited on 12/8/2012

Auntie Mame

profrobb1355025772.733522 PostsRegistered 9/10/2010Ohio

The Women of Color (whatever calendar month it happens to be) Divas have an ongoing discussion on WEN products and African American hair texture results. Some have had hair loss; others have had success with POM. They also discuss other products and videos they've used. I've found lots of information on both hair and skin issues on that forum. I encourage anyone with questions on this topic to consult their discussions.

nutmeg31355056689.4834997 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

You should ask the person who does your hair is this a product for you. The last thing you want is a problem.

jmarcy991355090629.763174 PostsRegistered 6/4/2008

I use the fig. I no longer use relaxers on my hair just shampoo then braid my hair and wear my wig. I have noticed my hair softer and nicer.

nikki481355091314.643123 PostsRegistered 12/9/2012
I am African American and I have used Wen since I decided to go natural three years ago. I started with and continue to use Fig CC and Tea Tree oil as my scalp can become very dry. I love my hair and what Wen does for it! I have nicely defined moisturized curls and waves (mix of 3c and 4a hair). In reading the reviews some women have experienced extra shedding but if you are going natural remember to give your hair time to get healthy before blaming the product. I would advise you to try a bottle, remember to use as directed and don't make the same mistake some make (including myself) when starting out by using too little. You will need what is suggested and maybe more. My wash and go routine is Wen oil the night before on my scalp and hair, wash as directed with Wen in the shower (I use either a very wide tooth shower comb or finger comb in the shower). I do not towel dry....I simply twist my hair to remove extra water. Follow up with a light styling gel to control frizz. I need to replace the last step with a Wen product so I am experimenting right now. Don't be afraid to just give it a try! You may find yourself hooked like me.. ;)

Page 1 of 1