Better Than Black Friday
72 Members and 16944 Guests Online

TSV Talk

Difference between Dyson DC40 and DC41

Started 1337486911.85 in TSV Talk | Last reply 1338473930.797 by 4uthebest

Can somene please tell me what the differnce is between the 40 and the 41? I think it must be more than the animal tool. Also, wasnt there a tsv a few months ago with the upright 41? Thanks for your help. I am trying to decide between the 2.

Page 1 of 1
bonnielu1337488302.365886 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

I would like to know the same thing. I have friends who told me to look around at other brands with lower prices. I do not own a Dyson but am suspicious of all the hype. If I am wrong, someone please set me straight.

BeckyBoopK1337512777.12 PostsRegistered 5/20/2012
I absolutely love my Dyson Animal DC17 and am seriously considering purchasing a second Dyson (one for upstairs and one for downstairs). The Dc41 was a TSV a while ago and I too was wondering about the differences, so I took to Google and found the following link http://dysonmedic.co.uk/what-is-the-difference-between-dyson-dc40-and-dyson-dc41/ Keep in mind that this is a UK website so measurements are metric and price is in pounds. Have a great day! Becky

nomless1337526766.7174652 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I compared the DC40 and DC41 on Amazon. Both are the new technology. As far as I can tell the only difference is the addition of the mini turbo tool with the DC41. Users don't seem to think it's much better than the standard tool.

I'm sort of interested in this new design, but because it's new, I want to wait a few months and see what the reviews are down the road. Dyson has a reputation for parts starting to break after a few months, and customer service seems less than stellar. Despite all the hype, I'm not convinced that Dysons are any better than simlar vacs that sell for half the price. I give their marketing a rating of A+, but I'm not sure the product lives up to the claims. Video reviews users have posted on Amazon suggest the product falls short of the marketing claims made about it.

Maybe the new model will solve some of the problems. The self-adjusting height seems like a good idea.

I'm annoyed by the claim that the TSV is "the world launch" because it's not. It's a lie, plain and simple. The DC40 has been at BBB for awhile, and there are user reviews on Amazon, for example. It makes me wonder....if they're lying about that, what other claims are lies? I don't understand why Q and Dyson are making a claim that can easily be proven untrue. It makes me skeptical about every product.

Last edited on 5/20/2012

Last edited on 5/20/2012

suzyQ31337534201.6925391 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

You can find out the difference quite easily right here on QVC. Just bring up the DC41 and today's TSV. I noticed that the 41 is a bit heavier and has a longer cord.

Consciousness is chaos. Our stories - faith, statehood, family, history - are just dreams we invent to give shape to the shapeless, to build a firewall against the void. That it all falls to pieces is part of the point; we're alone together, after all.

HUENEME GI­RL1337536125.16184 PostsRegistered 5/23/2010

I have the DC41 Dyson and I love it! I have an animal, forgotten the # but it is orange. I bought the new 41 to use downstairs as my old one is so heavy. This 41 is so light and manuvers so easily I'm done in a second! As for cleaning I don't think you can beat it and the new 41 goes over my handknotted rugs without having to lift it up, it really adjusts to the floor height. I love it!

BeckyBoopK1337536581.5572 PostsRegistered 5/20/2012
According to the link it states that the DC40 has 200 air watts of suction power and the DC41 has 255 air watts of suction power.

customerQ-­-V--C1337537341.407131 PostsRegistered 2/4/2011

I wondered the exact same thing as many of you. I own the DC 41 and love it, but wondered if I should have waited for this "newer" model.

So, I went to Dyson's web site and put in the comparison feature. Dyson says the only differences are that the DC 41 is recommended for those who own animals and the DC 41 comes with the turbine tool (which I love for under beds and on the stairs).

The DC 40 is slightly lighter in weight (but not much) and it doesn't come with the turbine tool. Both, Dyson says, have the same features and do the same thing.

Last edited on 5/20/2012

Last edited on 5/20/2012

-foundinlv-1337538617.633309 PostsRegistered 7/16/2009

To see the difference in specifications.

http://www.dyson.com/store/product.asp?product=DC41-IRSPU&tab=specification

http://www.dyson.com/store/product.asp?product=DC40-MULTIFLOOR&tab=specification

Btw....the DC41 has 235 watts not 255.

eta: what is the price difference when the DC41 was a TSV....anyone know?

Last edited on 5/20/2012

Last edited on 5/20/2012

Queen of S­cott1337541717.431031 PostsRegistered 3/24/2010
I ordered the TSV this afternoon! I'm so excited and anxious to receive it. I have bee pen looking a Dysons and wishing for one for awhile, so I was thrilled to see the Dyson TSV today. I have a Bissell vacuum that I have hated since we bought it years ago. It doesn't have great suction, it blows hot air on you when you are vacuuming, and it it so heavy. I went to Ned Bath and Beyond today to pick up some new kitchen towels, and while I was there, I got to see and handle the Dyson dc40. I was so pleased with how lightweight and easy it was to maneuver! Their price (without the extra tools the Q is including) was $499. I feel like we got a pretty good deal. Hopefully I will like it as much as I am anticipating!

suzyQ31337546562.21325391 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 5/20/2012 Queen of Scott said: I ordered the TSV this afternoon! I'm so excited and anxious to receive it. I have bee pen looking a Dysons and wishing for one for awhile, so I was thrilled to see the Dyson TSV today. I have a Bissell vacuum that I have hated since we bought it years ago. It doesn't have great suction, it blows hot air on you when you are vacuuming, and it it so heavy. I went to Ned Bath and Beyond today to pick up some new kitchen towels, and while I was there, I got to see and handle the Dyson dc40. I was so pleased with how lightweight and easy it was to maneuver! Their price (without the extra tools the Q is including) was $499. I feel like we got a pretty good deal. Hopefully I will like it as much as I am anticipating!

Yes, but with a 20 percent-off coupon, it would be $400, plus tax. So if the extra three tools are not important to someone, the price beats QVC. Also, if you buy it there and decide you don't want to keep it, it's much easier to return it -- and no return shipping cost.

Consciousness is chaos. Our stories - faith, statehood, family, history - are just dreams we invent to give shape to the shapeless, to build a firewall against the void. That it all falls to pieces is part of the point; we're alone together, after all.

AlleyCat1337558747.871454 PostsRegistered 2/7/2007Tornado Alley
On 5/20/2012 -foundinlv- said:

To see the difference in specifications.

http://www.dyson.com/store/product.asp?product=DC41-IRSPU&tab=specification

http://www.dyson.com/store/product.asp?product=DC40-MULTIFLOOR&tab=specification

Btw....the DC41 has 235 watts not 255.

eta: what is the price difference when the DC41 was a TSV....anyone know?

Last edited on 5/20/2012
The DC41 was 529.95 when it was TSV with free shipping &5 easy pays.

-foundinlv-1337582631.64309 PostsRegistered 7/16/2009

Thanks for the info AlleyCat.

BaltimoreB­ruce1337964146.451 PostsRegistered 5/25/2012

I just received my first Dyson, the DC40. I used my old vac, which is a pretty strong machine and then I used the Dyson on the same area and I could not believe what it picked up! I am totally in love with this machine and it is well worth the price. It is also very light and the ball really makes it easy to use. I pretty much pulls itself along.

4uthebest1338243872.9033527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 5/25/2012 BaltimoreBruce said:

I just received my first Dyson, the DC40. I used my old vac, which is a pretty strong machine and then I used the Dyson on the same area and I could not believe what it picked up! I am totally in love with this machine and it is well worth the price. It is also very light and the ball really makes it easy to use. I pretty much pulls itself along.

I went to BB&B today and I am so glad I did as I was able to compare side by side the Sharks with the Dyson DC40 and by far the greater suction is the Sharks (Navigator, LiftAway, and LiftAway professional). In addition the LAPro has a larger container and it really seems to be more sturdy. I could not believe how "cheaply" the DC40 is made compared to the liftaway Sharks. To be honest I was also quite unprepared to see that the suction on the Dyson is so much less than the Shark.

I sold Vacuums in the past and basically any vacuum that is second is going to pick up things that the first one missed from carpets Since the LAPro is $200 and one can use the 20% off coupon, I will be refusing Delivery on the Dyson and save myself the $500 as I already have a couple of Sharks.

Those that are pleased with their DC40 , I think that is great, but as for me, I see little advantage to it over the Shark Liftaway pro except for the Attachments and even those are "cheaper" than Dysons in the past.

Last edited on 5/28/2012

Last edited on 5/28/2012

suzyQ31338305843.2625391 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 5/28/2012 4uthebest said:
On 5/25/2012 BaltimoreBruce said:

I just received my first Dyson, the DC40. I used my old vac, which is a pretty strong machine and then I used the Dyson on the same area and I could not believe what it picked up! I am totally in love with this machine and it is well worth the price. It is also very light and the ball really makes it easy to use. I pretty much pulls itself along.

I went to BB&B today and I am so glad I did as I was able to compare side by side the Sharks with the Dyson DC40 and by far the greater suction is the Sharks (Navigator, LiftAway, and LiftAway professional). In addition the LAPro has a larger container and it really seems to be more sturdy. I could not believe how "cheaply" the DC40 is made compared to the liftaway Sharks. To be honest I was also quite unprepared to see that the suction on the Dyson is so much less than the Shark.

I sold Vacuums in the past and basically any vacuum that is second is going to pick up things that the first one missed from carpets Since the LAPro is $200 and one can use the 20% off coupon, I will be refusing Delivery on the Dyson and save myself the $500 as I already have a couple of Sharks.

Those that are pleased with their DC40 , I think that is great, but as for me, I see little advantage to it over the Shark Liftaway pro except for the Attachments and even those are "cheaper" than Dysons in the past.

Last edited on 5/28/2012

I ordered the Shark Navigator Lift-Away with the back save thing when it was a TSV. Although I know that is customer top-rated, I thought it was extremely un-user friendly and awkward to use. The negative reviews all seem to focus on the same problems with it. Packing it up to return was no easy feat but a necessity for us.

This is the review I submitted. It is very understated:

"The design of this Shark Navigator Lift-Away is not user-friendly at all. It is top heavy and easily tips over when using the hose or the lift-away. The button to disengage the canister is in an awkward place. The hose is cumbersome and too short.
The canister is heavy but needs to be held when using because otherwise the vacuum will tip over. It also will not go flat enough to go under furniture -- only the dust-away attachment for flooring (not carpet) will do that, and I found that whole thing to be something I would probably rarely use.
All in all, I found the vacuum to be very flimsy. It is relatively inexpensive, but I prefer one that is well-designed, that can be serviced if needed, and that will last for many years.
"

For now I am sticking with our Sebo X4 until I can find an equally high-quality vacuum that is a bit more lightweight. I think it will be a long wait.

Consciousness is chaos. Our stories - faith, statehood, family, history - are just dreams we invent to give shape to the shapeless, to build a firewall against the void. That it all falls to pieces is part of the point; we're alone together, after all.

4uthebest1338334875.8473527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 5/29/2012 suzyQ3 said:
On 5/28/2012 4uthebest said:
On 5/25/2012 BaltimoreBruce said:

I just received my first Dyson, the DC40. I used my old vac, which is a pretty strong machine and then I used the Dyson on the same area and I could not believe what it picked up! I am totally in love with this machine and it is well worth the price. It is also very light and the ball really makes it easy to use. I pretty much pulls itself along.

I went to BB&B today and I am so glad I did as I was able to compare side by side the Sharks with the Dyson DC40 and by far the greater suction is the Sharks (Navigator, LiftAway, and LiftAway professional). In addition the LAPro has a larger container and it really seems to be more sturdy. I could not believe how "cheaply" the DC40 is made compared to the liftaway Sharks. To be honest I was also quite unprepared to see that the suction on the Dyson is so much less than the Shark.

I sold Vacuums in the past and basically any vacuum that is second is going to pick up things that the first one missed from carpets Since the LAPro is $200 and one can use the 20% off coupon, I will be refusing Delivery on the Dyson and save myself the $500 as I already have a couple of Sharks.

Those that are pleased with their DC40 , I think that is great, but as for me, I see little advantage to it over the Shark Liftaway pro except for the Attachments and even those are "cheaper" than Dysons in the past.

Last edited on 5/28/2012

I ordered the Shark Navigator Lift-Away with the back save thing when it was a TSV. Although I know that is customer top-rated, I thought it was extremely un-user friendly and awkward to use. The negative reviews all seem to focus on the same problems with it. Packing it up to return was no easy feat but a necessity for us.

This is the review I submitted. It is very understated:

"The design of this Shark Navigator Lift-Away is not user-friendly at all. It is top heavy and easily tips over when using the hose or the lift-away. The button to disengage the canister is in an awkward place. The hose is cumbersome and too short.
The canister is heavy but needs to be held when using because otherwise the vacuum will tip over. It also will not go flat enough to go under furniture -- only the dust-away attachment for flooring (not carpet) will do that, and I found that whole thing to be something I would probably rarely use.
All in all, I found the vacuum to be very flimsy. It is relatively inexpensive, but I prefer one that is well-designed, that can be serviced if needed, and that will last for many years.
"

For now I am sticking with our Sebo X4 until I can find an equally high-quality vacuum that is a bit more lightweight. I think it will be a long wait.

I am in a similar state regarding reaching under the bed and other furniture but my Miele does this easily and the suction on it is even greater than the Shark but it is 4+ x the price too...

annabellet­hecat1338337539.70714734 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
My late husband went out and brought back 'the Animal' when he had to vacuum due to my back problems. Then I bought the aAnimal Ball and gave mine to my youngest daughter. Then I bought the gray Dyson and gave it to my middle daughter but she didn't like it so I gave it to my oldest daughter. Then when the little short Dyson came out I bought that for my middle daughter. She loves it because she has massive staircases. We all love our Dysons. I don't know about numbers, only colors and sizes. We all love the Dyson.

taja1231338380327.5232592 PostsRegistered 1/22/2012

I got my first Dyson DC 41 TSV, and I am deliriously happy with it. I also have the Oreck XL, and I thought that was a good vacuum. I did the test and used my new Dyson after my Oreck. I was just amazed with almost a canister of pick up. I love the tools. Dyson also has Allergies and Asthma recommendations, and I am not surprised. There's a huge difference in the cleanliness with a "dust free clean" house. My Dyson is not "perfect," but it is very, very good. I've had a lot of cheaper vacuums, and they don't hold a candle to the Dyson. It's too bad it's not American made.

4uthebest1338473930.7973527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 5/30/2012 taja123 said:

I got my first Dyson DC 41 TSV, and I am deliriously happy with it. I also have the Oreck XL, and I thought that was a good vacuum. I did the test and used my new Dyson after my Oreck. I was just amazed with almost a canister of pick up. I love the tools. Dyson also has Allergies and Asthma recommendations, and I am not surprised. There's a huge difference in the cleanliness with a "dust free clean" house. My Dyson is not "perfect," but it is very, very good. I've had a lot of cheaper vacuums, and they don't hold a candle to the Dyson. It's too bad it's not American made.

Virtually any vacuum with suction will do better than the Oreck XL especially if you go in this order... Use the Oreck first and then go over the same area with another vacuum.

Page 1 of 1