Christmas in July(R) Sale
53 Members and 12433 Guests Online

TSV Talk

I have laminated flooring what dose seal floor really mean.

Started 1261930728 in TSV Talk | Last reply 1262785839 by nyc1
replies
I have so wanted to get a floor steamer but they say you can use it on a laminated floor if its sealed. What dose that mean?
Had my floor for years and it looks beautiful but it is not nailed down. I don't want to buy something that could hurt the floor.

Page 1 of 1
Frannie12622809161979 PostsRegistered 9/27/2006
I'd check with the installer or manufacturer of your flooring. I have Pergo and one thing I remember is that you're aren't supposed to get it really wet. When these steam mops first came on the market I swear I remember reading that they should not be used on laminate or wood floors, but of course now they say differently. I damp mop mine (with an original Swiffer mop and rag) with vinegar and it works wonderfully.
--
"Goin' down down down..."
(my number of posts that is)
--
Edited by Frannie at 12/31/2009 8:35 AM PST

Last edited on 12/31/2009

ib_sewing212626456571214 PostsRegistered 1/14/2007
I have laminated floors in my kitchen and I use the haan all the time. If you used glue - it is sealed. The floor does not get soaking wet -
you don't want a lot of water on the floor to penetrate through to the bottom of the laminated flooring.
My daughter has ceramic tiles - it does not clean the grout but does clean the tile very well. She needs clean floors - she has a toddler that likes to sit in the kitchen while she is cooking.

Snowpuppy12626460486256 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005Up North, MI
There are two kinds of laminate systems that I know of, those that lock together with only the mechanism that keeps planks in place and those that get nailed/glued down to the subfloor.
If you use the glue method it's likely that the glue will soften if heated and there's a chance your boards will become loose before the glue cools again.
I think the newer floor steamers use less moisture than they did years ago but ITA that I would contact the mfg (Armstrong, etc) to see if you can clean yours without a problem.

magjen1262706683142 PostsRegistered 4/20/2007
When they say "sealed" they are talking about "sealant" . It doesn't refer to how the floor was installed. For example, I live in an old house with original hardwood floors. We sanded the floors to remove imperfections/old finish, and "sealed" it with multiple coats of polyurethane. This "seal" protects the actual hardwood.
Lots of people use the term "laminate" floor kind of generically. People confuse it with engineered flooring, which can look similar, but is very different. I point this out because you really have to know the exact type of flooring you have in order to care for it properly. I absolutely agree with the poster who recommended checking w/your floors manufacturer before attempting to steam mop it.
I pulled this from Pergo's website:
Laminate Flooring is Not Real Wood
Put your face right up to laminiate flooring--looks like real wood, doesn't it? Use a magnifying glass. Amazing! That's because laminate flooring is a surface layer of two thin sheets of paper impregnated with melamine. This surface layer is a photograph of wood grain, not real wood, and is usually covered by a hard transparent layer impervious to dogs, chairs, high heels, you name it.
Engineered flooring
It is a product that is made up of multiple layers of wood that is glued together as one board. The top decorative layer is wood. The bottom layer is usually particle board or plywood. It is made with an interlocking tongue and groove system similar to standard strip flooring.
I have Mannington Laminate flooring in my kitchen. I DO use a Haan Steamer to clean it, and have had no problems with it at all, but I am very careful to never let the cleaner rest in one area. I would be afraid the heat would damage it. It gets the floor very clean but because the floor is very dark, it tends to leave slight streaks (I've actually never found anything that doesn't leave slight streaks on this floor). I clean about 1/3 of the floor with the Haan, then I use an old beach towel to kind of buff it real quick, then repeat until floor is done. I also use Haan on my hardwood floors because I am confident that they are well sealed (since we did it ourselves, LOL). I've never had any damage, but again, I make sure i keep the steamer moving.
--
Edited by magjen at 01/05/2010 7:40 AM PST

Last edited on 1/5/2010

SJFD1262710557763 PostsRegistered 12/28/2007New Jersey
From the Pergo website:
Pergo's exclusive LusterGard TM surface protection ensures dirt and dust will not adhere to your floor and guarantees it will not stain or fade like other flooring surfaces. For day to day maintenance an occasional damp mop, quick sweeping or light vacuuming with the hard floor attachments are usually all it takes to keep your Pergo floor clean. Do not use soaps, detergents, or cleaners with wax because they may leave a film, dulling the floor. Difficult spots like nail polish, markers, tar and cigarette burns can be easily removed with Pergo's Laminate and Hard Surface cleaner. Another option is to mix 1 gallon of water with 1 cup vinegar or ½ cup of ammonia per gallon of water. Pergo floors must never be waxed, polished, sanded or refinished and never use a wet or jet mop when cleaning.
I am taking that as no Swiffer wet jet or steam cleaners

blondegirl12627301931775 PostsRegistered 7/21/2006
you should not use this on laminate flooring like Pergo. I told the guy at the carpet store when I was purchasing something they keep saying it is okay and he just laughed. Having said that about once a quarter or so I do run my Bissel over the laminate and then crawl around and dry it. the steamers throw out more water than you would expect based on what they sometimes show and Pergo and the like are not supposed to be wet or have standing water on them.

nyc112627858391425 PostsRegistered 11/6/2006chicago
The entire first level of my home (except for the tile in they entry and bathroom) is 11 year old Pergo. I use the Haan regularly (the original one, not the slim one), and my floor have never looked better. No streaking, feels great, and have had no problem. Just don't sit with the steamer in any one spot.
I keep it moving. The only time i will go over something repeatedly, is if there is a mark on the floor.... the Haan gets it off with several passes. LOVE the Haan... hated the mops... ik.

Page 1 of 1