Frequent Contributor

The real meaning of "handpainted" !

I recently learned that it is ok for a retailer/company to use the word "hand painted ", even if it means that , at the factory, a person on the assembly line simply uses their hand(s) to move a spray-paint nozzle onto a ceramic/china piece, as in "These temp-tations are all hand-painted". Did anyone really think that each Temp-tations piece was meticulously painted by hand with a brush ??

Valued Contributor

Re: The real meaning of ""handpainted"" !

The designs look like they were done with a sponge. Temp-tations is not my cup of tea, though.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Honored Contributor

I don't care for this line of products either but I always figured that their handpainting was actually somebody who held a stencil in one hand and a gun in the other, spraying it over the stencil.

Honored Contributor

I didn't think there was one person with a little paint brush painting individual pieces.

Honored Contributor

It always bothered me when Tara said they were hand-painted, and made a big deal of it like she was selling fine arts and crafts. Of course I knew it couldn't be true, at least not in the traditional sense.

Esteemed Contributor

Not for a minute.

From first blush they appear to be spray or brush painted using a template: not at all hand painted. No way.

Valued Contributor

OP's description would qualify as hand painted vs. the pattern being "stamped" by machine, or applied as a decal.

Esteemed Contributor

Is it somehow illegal to classify the technique this way? What is the beef?

Of course no one expects a Renoir for this price (hmm, except maybe a reproduction). I've paid good money for those, too, and knowingly.

It doesn't mean I do not like them. Caveat emptor; carpe diem.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I always loved my pieces of Polish stoneware & if I remember correctly they (vendor) had film clips of actual hand painting/stamping of each piece. And who remembers Peterboro baskets when Walter would be weaving those baskets on live TV. Now their artisans & craftsman not temptations, which is obviously why they never show actual factory footage (I won't put here what I envision at a Temptations China factory). Although that is why you can get pretty decorative pieces cheap!!!JMO
Honored Contributor

is this really a problem for those who DONT or WONT buy temptations anyways?

hand-painted

Definitions
adjective

painted by a person rather than a machine, ex: a hand-painted sign
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein