Contributor

Temptation pie dish cracked into thirds, caught oven on fire

I'm trying to decide whether to notify anyone at QVC or Temptations about a near disastrous failure of a Temptations pie dish. On the one hand I think it's important to notify them so that PERHAPS they might make their quality assurance standards tougher. On the other hand I'll be shocked if I hear from either QVC or Temptations and not sure it's worth the time to bother.

So has anyone had any serious Temptations ovenware failures? Were they within warranty or not? Did you notify QVC and/or Temptations and, if so, did you receive a response?

On October 29th I preheated our oven to 350 and prepared cinnamon rolls for baking. I put the rolls into the room temp pie dish with space for expansion. It's just hubby & I and I do not bake sweets often. This particular pie dish had been only been used maybe two or three times in the year that I had it. The rest of the time it was on the kitchen shelf as decoration. I put the cinnamon rolls on the center rack in the preheated oven, shut the door, and set the timer. In less than 30 minutes, the pie dish cracked into thirds dripping melted butter and sugar onto the oven element. The mixture started a fire in my oven which dramatically increased the temperature in the oven. Thick smoke engulfed our home which is a small, old log cabin. Attempts to put out the fire were unsuccessful. Each time we sprayed the fire extinguisher, the fire seemed to almost explode out of the oven door when we opened it. With the extinguisher completed emptied, I was not sure what to do about the raging fire in my oven. The oven had performed it's duty containing the fire to that point but as I watched the flames making their way into the control panel, I knew that if the flames escaped to the wooden floor below the stove or to the logs behind it, we would more than likely loose our home. I finally put the flames out but filling a stove top pot with a few cups of water, opening the oven door and dousing the flames with water in one quick motion. Each time the flames re-ignited. After about half a dozen times of doing this, the fire was finally out. Both oven windows were shattered. The wiring and insulation surrounding the oven were brown. The wiring was melted. Thankfully, I shut off the breaker to the oven immediately when the fire started.

Since Temptations only warranties their products for a year and this pie dish was three or four months beyond that, neither Temptations or QVC is liable.

All of my Temptations ovenware and tableware has been relegated to cat and dog dish duty. I will never feel safe put a Temptations product in an oven.

The monetary loss of the Temptations products was not significant but the loss of my oven immediately before the one time of year that I actually do any baking was significant. This Temptation product failure could not have come at a worse time, both in emotional and monetary terms.

To add insult to injury, I listened to host after host in the MANY QVC presentations during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays boast about Temptations capability to withstand a 500 degree oven. I can ONLY image what would have happened if I had placed that pie dish filled with anything other than water in a 500 degree oven. Explosions come to mind!

Please post your Temptations experiences and any thoughts/comments you have.

Just chalk it up to a bad experience and move on or engage Temptations and QVC in serious discussion regarding their claims and warranties?

Respected Contributor

Re: Temptation pie dish cracked into thirds, caught oven on fire

i am sorry you had to go through that frightening experience and have the expense of replacing your oven. I had a piece crack but no damage was done. The shoddy quality of Temptations is well recorded on the blogs. I guess QVC is earning so much profit from them that they have no interest in improving the product. It sounds like you have the basis of a lawsuit but TemptAtions has deep pockets so you would probably lose.I don't buy it any more.
Honored Contributor

Wow! That's very scary! I have only one TT baking dish and it has been performing very well. However, based on some of the stories I've read here, I always put a cookie sheet underneath when I use it.

~ house cat ~
Frequent Contributor

That is horrible! Thank goodness you were able to contain the fire. I don't have any Temptations products, but I know there have been several threads about defects. I hope you get some answers!
Honored Contributor

I don't get it. It's been over 2 months since this happened and you're posting now? I'd have called QVC right away. I'd have sent them the bill for the oven replacement too.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I am not myself a Temptations fan but have read many stories of disasters similar to yours. Nether QVC or the Temptations Company seem to be interested in or care about disasters with this bakeware, so if I were you I'd contact the Federal Trade Commission right after I filed a suit in small claims court for the ruined oven. I hope you took pictures.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

That is the kind of thing you are SUPPOSED to report to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. They gather statistics from many users and decide if a product needs to be recalled because of safety issues. You REALLY should report your experience. Others might not be as lucky. Why take chances? If there is a pattern, they will rectify the problem before someone is hurt.
Respected Contributor

How frightening! Please report this. I'm not a Temptations fan, but I have read on here where people have had pieces crack. Never read anything as scary as your experience. How can they sell stuff that is so dangerous? LOL, I'd call in on the testimonial line when they present that line too, when they ask for people that have the items. Then let them know what happened. Would love to see them caught off guard on air!

Honored Contributor

If someone got on the air and started telling about that experience, they be disconnected sooooo fast!
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

When you turned all this damage in to your insurance were they not wanting to contact TT , I have never known an ins co to pay when they could make someone else instead.