Respected Contributor

Am wondering if anyone ordered the Soup Tureen. There is a hole on the bottom, which should be there because of the ceramic, but when I put the Tureen in the dishwasher, water got inside the bottom and it took hours for the water to drain out of the hole to put it away. I am probably going to send back. Has anyone else had this problem or do you just wipe out the thing and put it away?

Honored Contributor

A number of Tara's ceramic pieces (and other brands as well) have these holes in areas that are basically hollow, to allow heat to escape when they are hot. While she says these pieces are dishwasher safe, I don't think it is good to get water up inside them, so I hand wash, and be careful not to submerge those parts. It doesn't take long to hand wash, and I feel better about it, because if put in the oven or under the stress of a lot of heat while there is still water inside, it could cause crazing and cracking.

Honored Contributor

Just wondering how a soup tureen with a hole in the bottom is able to hold soup. This is probably an ignorant question but I'm interested to know.

Honored Contributor
On 11/29/2014 ValuSkr said:

Just wondering how a soup tureen with a hole in the bottom is able to hold soup. This is probably an ignorant question but I'm interested to know.

The piece has a pedestal type base to it, and the little hole is in the pedestal part, which is connected to the actual "bowl" as a separate piece. In essence, the pedestal is a hollow piece that needs to be 'vented' to let the air inside escape. The actual 'bowl' that holds the food is solid, so no holes, no leaking.

Honored Contributor
On 11/29/2014 mominohio said:
On 11/29/2014 ValuSkr said:

The piece has a pedestal type base to it, and the little hole is in the pedestal part, which is connected to the actual "bowl" as a separate piece. In essence, the pedestal is a hollow piece that needs to be 'vented' to let the air inside escape. The actual 'bowl' that holds the food is solid, so no holes, no leaking.

Thanks, mominohio!