Honored Contributor

nice article about tara and the temptations line from 2013

nice article about tara, temptations, and the business from mid-2013. not sure if anyone has posted this here before.

here is a small portion of the article and a link to the entire article.

At Coordinated Strategic, Temp-tations' growth spurt meant many of its 25 employees were needed to support an in-house brand. By 2009, Temp-tations was so big that company principal Ed Tesher argued it needed to be spun off as a separate company. McConnell was the natural choice to lead it.

"She had the vision for the brand," Levine said.

Temp-tations was recapitalized in a transaction led by Prudential that made McConnell an owner. Thomas Oreck, former CEO of Oreck Corp., joined Temp-tations as CEO to mentor McConnell. The company employs 11 people handling finance, design, logistics, and other aspects of the business.

McConnell wouldn't disclose Temp-tations' sales but said it had sold 10 million sets of merchandise in its 10 years - 75 percent of those sales in the last three years and 1.6 million sets in 2012. Assuming an average price per set of $32, that places Temp-tations' sales at about $50 million last year. (In September, it launched Buytemp-tations.com.)

http://articles.philly.com/2013-04-16/business/38558956_1_qvc-mary-beth-roe-products

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: nice article about tara and the temptations line from 2013

Not a word about cracking.

Honored Contributor

I read that she started with CSA as an intern and was actually a psychology major (I think that is right). It is amazing how our lives can go in a totally different direction than we planned, because we take a road we hadn't considered, and it leads us to something so much bigger and so different than we ever planned.

Valued Contributor

very good & informative article! have always said Tara was/is a very good business woman! now she can add ""rich"" to that...lol.

Valued Contributor

On 9/28/2014 sunshine45 said:

nice article about tara, temptations, and the business from mid-2013. not sure if anyone has posted this here before.

At Coordinated Strategic, Temp-tations' growth spurt meant many of its 25 employees were needed to support an in-house brand. By 2009, Temp-tations was so big that company principal Ed Tesher argued it needed to be spun off as a separate company. McConnell was the natural choice to lead it.

"She had the vision for the brand," Levine said.

Temp-tations was recapitalized in a transaction led by Prudential that made McConnell an owner. Thomas Oreck, former CEO of Oreck Corp., joined Temp-tations as CEO to mentor McConnell. The company employs 11 people handling finance, design, logistics, and other aspects of the business.

McConnell wouldn't disclose Temp-tations' sales but said it had sold 10 million sets of merchandise in its 10 years - 75 percent of those sales in the last three years and 1.6 million sets in 2012. Assuming an average price per set of $32, that places Temp-tations' sales at about $50 million last year. (In September, it launched Buytemp-tations.com.)

http://articles.philly.com/2013-04-16/business/38558956_1_qvc-mary-beth-roe-products

OOOOOO-KKKKKKK....the point???????? The point is???? You can sell less than a quality product....and get rich????? NOT impressed! You can get a 15 piece set for little $$$$$. How about QUALITY .....instead of quantity????

Super Contributor

Wish her products were made in the USA, but that would cut into her profits.

Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 RJL-DLL 75 said:

<em>At Coordinated Strategic, Temp-tations' growth spurt meant many of its 25 employees were needed to support an in-house brand. By 2009, Temp-tations was so big that company principal Ed Tesher argued it needed to be spun off as a separate company. McConnell was the natural choice to lead it.</em>

<em>"She had the vision for the brand," Levine said.</em>

<em>Temp-tations was recapitalized in a transaction led by Prudential that made McConnell an owner. Thomas Oreck, former CEO of Oreck Corp., joined Temp-tations as CEO to mentor McConnell. The company employs 11 people handling finance, design, logistics, and other aspects of the business.</em>

<em>McConnell wouldn't disclose Temp-tations' sales but said it had sold 10 million sets of merchandise in its 10 years - 75 percent of those sales in the last three years and 1.6 million sets in 2012. Assuming an average price per set of $32, that places Temp-tations' sales at about $50 million last year. (In September, it launched Buytemp-tations.com.)</em>

<em><br /></em>

<em>http://articles.philly.com/2013-04-16/business/38558956_1_qvc-mary-beth-roe-products<br /> </em>

OOOOOO-KKKKKKK....the point???????? The point is???? You can sell less than a quality product....and get rich????? NOT impressed! You can get a 15 piece set for little $$$$$. How about QUALITY .....instead of quantity????

i have bought a number of pieces over the years (from the beginning up to about 2 months ago) and they have all been quality and very affordable pieces. so have many others obviously!

i believe you have said you have not owned ANY temptations, is that right?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 cairnlover said:

Wish her products were made in the USA, but that would cut into her profits.

well, that can be said of pretty much every line that qvc carries these days.

Valued Contributor

On 9/29/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 9/29/2014 RJL-DLL 75 said:

<em>At Coordinated Strategic, Temp-tations' growth spurt meant many of its 25 employees were needed to support an in-house brand. By 2009, Temp-tations was so big that company principal Ed Tesher argued it needed to be spun off as a separate company. McConnell was the natural choice to lead it.</em>

<em>"She had the vision for the brand," Levine said.</em>

<em>Temp-tations was recapitalized in a transaction led by Prudential that made McConnell an owner. Thomas Oreck, former CEO of Oreck Corp., joined Temp-tations as CEO to mentor McConnell. The company employs 11 people handling finance, design, logistics, and other aspects of the business.</em>

<em>McConnell wouldn't disclose Temp-tations' sales but said it had sold 10 million sets of merchandise in its 10 years - 75 percent of those sales in the last three years and 1.6 million sets in 2012. Assuming an average price per set of $32, that places Temp-tations' sales at about $50 million last year. (In September, it launched Buytemp-tations.com.)</em>

<em><br /></em>

<em>http://articles.philly.com/2013-04-16/business/38558956_1_qvc-mary-beth-roe-products<br /> </em>

i have bought a number of pieces over the years (from the beginning up to about 2 months ago) and they have all been quality and very affordable pieces. so have many others obviously!

i believe you have said you have not owned ANY temptations, is that right?

You are right, I have not purchased any TT. I feel that I am a wise consumer and do my research before buying ANY PRODUCT. Why would I spend money on a product that I don't feel is a good investment and not safe to use around my family? I never buy a product from QVC or elsewhere without doing research. Do YOU?

Honored Contributor

i am an informed consumer. if i had bought temptations multiple times or maybe even once and it failed then i probably would NOT buy it again and move on. i have NOT had that experience. i also would not feel comfortable making numerous comments, good or bad, to its reliability, quality, or safety if i had NOT bought even one piece.YOU have no personal experience at all with the product.....good OR bad.

i personally found the story interesting and feel like tara really worked her way up in the business with solid support behind her, hard work, and a quality product that many consumers have purchased again and again.