Super Contributor

How bakeware can break--and it makes sense.

Bakeware cannot have abrupt temperature changes, nor can you bake a casserole, for example, and then switch it to broil to brown the top. If you have a hot piece of bakeware, when hot, the bakeware can break if it is placed on a wet surface or handled with a wet cloth. You can't place it on direct heat, in a broiler, or use the microwave browning features. Sudden or abrupt temperature changes will cause it to break. If you take a meal, which frozen in bakeware, and put it in the oven, put it in a cold oven--then turn the oven on and let the oven and the bakeware warm together so there is no abrupt temperature change. Never place an ice cold piece of bakeware, from the freezer (or ice cold fridge), into a heated oven--it may break.

Okay, the above is a "Use & Care" summarization of bakeware I've had in my family for nearly 1/2 a century, first my mom's and now mine. Not one, honestly, has broken, snapped in half, fallen to pieces when taken out of an oven. One has a crack because I put a casserole dish right from the refrigerator into an already heated oven (my fault). It didn't crack in 1/2, but there is a crack I can see on the bottom I noticed after it was washed.

Is this Temptations ware? No. But same idea in care and warnings, I would imagine.

Valued Contributor

Re: How bakeware can break--and it makes sense.

Hi ical, thanks so much for your post! I guess I have always had the same "use & care" attitude all my life too! Mostly it is just plain common sense when using ceramic bake ware. There have been lots of stories about breakage only to find out later that someone did just what you have mentioned in your OP. Thanks again for your logical post & opinion!

Super Contributor

On 9/27/2014 gkelly5744 said:

Hi ical, thanks so much for your post! I guess I have always had the same "use & care" attitude all my life too! Mostly it is just plain common sense when using ceramic bake ware. There have been lots of stories about breakage only to find out later that someone did just what you have mentioned in your OP. Thanks again for your logical post & opinion!

You're welcome!

Respected Contributor

This is very good advice. I want to point out however, that as a former chemist and someone who has made ceramics from wet clay all the way to glazed pot, my problem with the "famous" painted ceramics brand taking heat here was due to a crack in the casserole from manufacture. It never was fridge-to-oven and I wasn't certain it was a crack (looked like part of the vine design) until later when the crack deepened upon use.

So just in case anyone wants to fob off all the reports of cracking as misuse, no, I truly believe there IS a problem with this one brand in quality control. My crack was hidden under a painted vine, and then it developed as a full crack all the way through the piece.

However, the advice to let things warm up before putting onto a hot oven rack is excellent.

Honored Contributor

Excellent and correct information OP.

And to agree with Campion, not all cracking/crazing in TT or any other brand comes from the misuse of the product, but my opinion is a lot of it does.

The problem is with the presentations of the product. They are very quick to skim over (at best, more like completely leave out) the safety and common sense issues OP listed. They want to give the impression that the product is a miracle worker, will be so easy to use, to clean and to enjoy. They don't want to drag down the excitement by telling people all the "cautions" you have to observe to keep the product "healthy" (and soaking in water is a big one they never address, and I think is a major cause of the crazing and cracking that happens. I think the amount of water a piece gets hit with in the dishwasher is too much when there is a larger unglazed surface, too). A real good example of the misleading statements they make include "fridge/freezer to oven to table". They fail to mention that it should be going into a cold oven, and even then, the possibility of thermal shock exists.

Maybe a little less of the rehashed and scripted presentation, and a few on the proper and safe ways to use the product would be refreshing and helpful. Even with proper use, the possibility of problems is still there, and people should just understand that.

Honored Contributor

Some of the new Pyrex has been breaking in ovens.

No temp changes.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 9/27/2014 NoelSeven said:

No temp changes.

i have had pyrex break into several pieces in the oven......two items.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I know that someone does not believe it, but since this "improper care" issue has again been raised, I will ask the same question I've asked before - how did my large baker craze and crack by just sitting in my cabinet with my other bakeware for a year and a half?

The replacement was used to bake macaroni and cheese, never put in the freezer. And if I used leftovers, I took it out of the baker and put it in a microwavable dish to reheat it. So no abrupt changes in temperature. But after using it ONLY for this a few times, the bottom cracked and crazed.

The other two small ones were used ONCE for making a sweet potato casserole and did the same thing.

Believe it or not, I do not care. That's what happened, so someone please explain to me WHY?

Edited to add: Is it an assumption that every single person who has this problem has no clue how to take care of this product?

Edited again to add: I never set anything on a wet towel or on a cold surface...I set it on a wire rack on my ceran top stove to cool...again, no abrupt temperature changes.

Super Contributor

From the official temptations site:

You deserve versatile, affordable, beautiful ceramic bakeware that goes from oven to table to fridge to freezer to microwave to dishwasher! And since temp-tations® makes it easy to prep, bake, serve and store all in one dish, it will simplify your life. You’ll be able to make dishes ahead of time, put them in the freezer, and cook them whenever it’s convenient for you. And then bring them right to the table.

Can temp-tations®be used on a stove top?

No, temp-tations® stoneware should not be used on a stove top or over an open flame.

Can temp-tations®go in the dishwasher?

Yes, all temp-tations® stoneware is dishwasher safe.

Can temp-tations®go in the refrigerator and freezer?

Yes, all temp-tations® stoneware and storage covers are refrigerator and freezer safe.

Is it safe to go from the freezer directly to the oven with temp-tations®?

Yes, all temp-tations® bakers can go from the freezer directly to the oven. However, when doing so, allow your temp-tations® baker and your oven to heat up together. (Put the stoneware in an unheated oven, turn on the oven, and allow both to come to desired cooking temperature simultaneously.)

Can temp-tations®go in the microwave?

Yes, all temp-tations® stoneware is microwave safe.

Is it ok to pre-heat temp-tations®in the oven or microwave when the dish is empty?

No, do not pre-heat your temp-tations® bakers in the oven or microwave when empty, as this may cause stress to the stoneware.

When hand washing, is it ok to soak temp-tations®in water?

It’s ok to fill your temp-tations® with water and let it soak, but do not fully submerge your temp-tations® in a sink full of water. Stoneware absorbs water in places where there’s no glaze (for example, on the bottom, where it sits in the kiln). When the stoneware is then put in the oven, microwave, or freezer, the absorbed water will expand and can cause stress to the stoneware. Please note that temp-tations® stoneware is dishwasher safe.

Is it ok to hand wash temp-tations®after removal from a hot oven or microwave?

No, do not take a temp-tations® baker out of a hot oven or microwave and immerse in water; let the stoneware come to room temperature before washing.

More at: http://www.temp-tations.com/faqs

-----------------

My bakeware is Pfaltzgraff:

From their site: http://www.pfaltzgraff.com/stoneware.html

Pfaltzgraff stoneware is microwave, conventional oven, freezer, and dishwasher safe. We suggest the following guidelines for using your stoneware:

1. Do not subject your stoneware to sudden or extreme temperature changes. Start your oven no higher than 225°F for the first 10 minutes, then increase to desired temperature.
  2. Do not place hot dishes on a wet surface or handle with a wet cloth. The hot dish may break when touching the colder water.
  3. Do not place stoneware on direct heat, in the broiler, or under a microwave browning element.
  4. Always use a heat protective mitt when removing from the oven or microwave
  5. When warming in the microwave, use the stoneware piece that best fits the portion size. This way, all items will heat evenly and not cause "hot spots" in your stoneware that could lead to crazing and cracking.
Valued Contributor

On 9/27/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 9/27/2014 NoelSeven said:

No temp changes.

i have had pyrex break into several pieces in the oven......two items.

Same here but it was the newer Pyrex