Honored Contributor

I have a confession. I threw some Temp-tations knowingly into a bonfire. I unpacked a large set, and included were the small measuring spoons that say "tad" "dash" "pinch" and so on. I already have more measuring spoons than I need, so I threw the box (with the spoons still in the packing) into the burn pile in the back of our property. Yes, I did it on purpose, I just didn't want them.

After my husband burned (and these are huge very hot bonfire type burns) I noticed something blue sticking up out of the ashes. I dug in and found several of the spoons. They were still intact, no chipping, no cracking, no crazing, no discoloration after I washed them off. I brought them back into the house, as I felt they had earned a place in the kitchen, surviving the fire in that condition.

Now, how do we get the rest of the products to perform like this under just normal use and heat?

Trusted Contributor
In the future if there is something you have in perfectly good condition that you no longer want, perhaps you might consider donating it to a Goodwill, Salvation Army, a shelter, etc. or place it somewhere with a sign that says 'free to good home'. I remember driving past a church in recent years that had a huge sign advertising a yard sale where everything was free! I am glad you weren't wasteful in this instance.
Valued Contributor
On 9/8/2014 vabreeze said: In the future if there is something you have in perfectly good condition that you no longer want, perhaps you might consider donating it to a Goodwill, Salvation Army, a shelter, etc. or place it somewhere with a sign that says 'free to good home'. I remember driving past a church in recent years that had a huge sign advertising a yard sale where everything was free! I am glad you weren't wasteful in this instance.

perfect advise, vabreeze! so many people these days are much worse off than others & donating them to a church, organization, etc. would be such a help instead of "burning" them!

Honored Contributor
On 9/8/2014 gkelly5744 said:
On 9/8/2014 vabreeze said: In the future if there is something you have in perfectly good condition that you no longer want, perhaps you might consider donating it to a Goodwill, Salvation Army, a shelter, etc. or place it somewhere with a sign that says 'free to good home'. I remember driving past a church in recent years that had a huge sign advertising a yard sale where everything was free! I am glad you weren't wasteful in this instance.

perfect advise, vabreeze! so many people these days are much worse off than others & donating them to a church, organization, etc. would be such a help instead of "burning" them!

I recycle most things that are usable, but no one, and I know from 30 years experience in thrift store management, would get these spoons to the point of sale. They would be lost, broken or tossed as the sorting procedures take place (people have no idea how much product is damaged in handling at thrift store settings). And being that they aren't actual measurements like teaspoons and tablespoons, they aren't of real use for cooking. I would be wasting valuable fuel (and adding harm to the environment) to drive these many miles from my county location to give them to an agency that would not benefit any money from them anyway.

Super Contributor

I agree with the OP. These spoons were detritus (s**t that no one else wants) that clog up our drawers and cabinets. I know I have loads of this junk but I don't want to throw away....because it came with the set, it was free with purchase, it was a gift....etc.

I only wish the Temptations bowl that I loved, would have survived a cat stretch and shove from my kitchen table. Oh well...I would hang these spoons on the wall. And some pieces crack in the oven but not the bonfire!!

Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Honored Contributor

I won't buy this line because of the numerous bad reports on this board. But just a hint to anyone with extra anything. Keep a box or bag somewhere in the laundry room or closet. Whenever I'm done with a book, get sick of an article of clothing, or clean out a cupboard, the unwanted goes into that bag. When full it goes to St. Vincent's, our town's best thrift shop.

Valued Contributor
On 9/8/2014 depglass said:

I won't buy this line because of the numerous bad reports on this board. But just a hint to anyone with extra anything. Keep a box or bag somewhere in the laundry room or closet. Whenever I'm done with a book, get sick of an article of clothing, or clean out a cupboard, the unwanted goes into that bag. When full it goes to St. Vincent's, our town's best thrift shop.

I know your donations are greatly appreciated! I will make a point of doing as you suggested about a bag for things that need to move along! Great idea!

Honored Contributor
On 9/8/2014 mominohio said:

I have a confession. I threw some Temp-tations knowingly into a bonfire. I unpacked a large set, and included were the small measuring spoons that say "tad" "dash" "pinch" and so on. I already have more measuring spoons than I need, so I threw the box (with the spoons still in the packing) into the burn pile in the back of our property. Yes, I did it on purpose, I just didn't want them.

After my husband burned (and these are huge very hot bonfire type burns) I noticed something blue sticking up out of the ashes. I dug in and found several of the spoons. They were still intact, no chipping, no cracking, no crazing, no discoloration after I washed them off. I brought them back into the house, as I felt they had earned a place in the kitchen, surviving the fire in that condition.

Now, how do we get the rest of the products to perform like this under just normal use and heat?

So someone that "loves" Temp-tations as you have stated many many times in all your posts, you decided to "burn" some of them? Even NEW TT pieces that had NEVER been used? Did I understand this right?

Why do you continue to ask these condescending questions, and when answers are posted, you get your unmentionables in a twist and have the answers deleted? If you can't stand the heat of a simple answer to your questions, stop asking them.

Regular Contributor

OMG...that would be my husband...."um...babe, looks like some of our TT was out back in the fire...its ok, I scooped them out!" {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Wow, those spoons really did take the heat, didn't they? Its just funny how some things seem to do okay and others aren't strong enough. The pieces that i've had break on me in the past were newer pieces. All of the OW that I bought a long time ago have held up. So it makes me wonder if the popularity has grown so much that they just don't pay attention to quality like they used to. I don't know for sure of course. JMO.

Honored Contributor

So someone that "loves" Temp-tations as you have stated many many times in all your posts, you decided to "burn" some of them? Even NEW TT pieces that had NEVER been used? Did I understand this right?

Why do you continue to ask these condescending questions, and when answers are posted, you get your unmentionables in a twist and have the answers deleted? If you can't stand the heat of a simple answer to your questions, stop asking them.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}