Not applicable

One of my bakers chipped, can I still use it in the oven safely? Do I need to apply some sort of glaze to protect it?

Honored Contributor

NO!

Please do yourself a favor and throw it out.

Respected Contributor

Even with your everyday plates, these should be discarded.

Esteemed Contributor

never use anything that you eat or drink from that is chipped...

Occasional Contributor

If it is a piece to a set you love and is not discontinued you can call temptations customer service to see if a replacement is available. My gorgeous rolling pin just rolled right off the counter and I called and they replaced it for a small fee so I didn't have to buy the whole set again. Which I would not have done anyway. Never hurts to ask.

Valued Contributor

I have been so tempted to buy a set of these but, I have read so many negative reviews that I just don't dare. I saw a beautiful set of round covered bowls today and almost ordered them. First I thought ok, I just won't bake in them but, now I'm reading about how they chip.

Very frustrating because they are so pretty. They really need to look into making these more durable.

Trusted Contributor

RJL-DLL

When something is advertised as able to use in the oven, I think it should be able to be used in the oven without worrying about it. I have read that some people are now just using these pieces to serve in. That defeats the purpose in my opinion. For those who like adding to their collections, they now have to buy another brand to bake in, and then transfer to this brand to serve in???

There are other brands that are oven safe. Fiesta for one. Which I have and love. I can use it for baking & serving, and it matches and/or contrasts with the dinnerware.

Some months ago there was a question on Homer Laughlin's facebook, and I saved the answer which is very informative:

"....what cause Fiesta to hold up so well for years?

Homer Laughlin China.... This is a great question. Essentially, the superior design and composition of our dinnerware is what makes it so durable. Our products are vitrified, which makes them stronger and more chip resistant than semi-vitrified ware, which is more porous and potentially more unsanitary. In addition, we formulate the body of our ware using Alumina to increase strength. Finally, the design and careful finishing of the edge, a crucial step in ensuring optimum chip resistance, further contribute to the strength of our dinnerware."

Valued Contributor
On 8/13/2014 oceantown said:

RJL-DLL

When something is advertised as able to use in the oven, I think it should be able to be used in the oven without worrying about it. I have read that some people are now just using these pieces to serve in. That defeats the purpose in my opinion. For those who like adding to their collections, they now have to buy another brand to bake in, and then transfer to this brand to serve in???

There are other brands that are oven safe. Fiesta for one. Which I have and love. I can use it for baking & serving, and it matches and/or contrasts with the dinnerware.

Some months ago there was a question on Homer Laughlin's facebook, and I saved the answer which is very informative:

"....what cause Fiesta to hold up so well for years?

Homer Laughlin China.... This is a great question. Essentially, the superior design and composition of our dinnerware is what makes it so durable. Our products are vitrified, which makes them stronger and more chip resistant than semi-vitrified ware, which is more porous and potentially more unsanitary. In addition, we formulate the body of our ware using Alumina to increase strength. Finally, the design and careful finishing of the edge, a crucial step in ensuring optimum chip resistance, further contribute to the strength of our dinnerware."

Thank you for the suggestion. Just looked online at Fiesta Ware. There are some beautiful pieces. I would rather invest in a few good pieces than throw money away on a lower quality line.

Trusted Contributor

You are sure welcome, RJL-DLL, and thanks for your reply.

Valued Contributor
On 8/11/2014 Norasnana said:

If it is a piece to a set you love and is not discontinued you can call temptations customer service to see if a replacement is available. My gorgeous rolling pin just rolled right off the counter and I called and they replaced it for a small fee so I didn't have to buy the whole set again. Which I would not have done anyway. Never hurts to ask.

Good to know, thanks!