Honored Contributor

I wonder if it is one particular pattern - OW - that cracks more often? The reason I say this is that I have never had any cracks and I don't buy any OW. So it make me wonder if that particular pattern is the problem.

Respected Contributor

Re: In regard to cracking...

Not by my experience. I bought the 13" x 9" rooster pan and on its second use, a huge, deep crack developed along the bottom and the pan discolored badly. It didn't break apart, but the crack was so long and deep that it most certainly would have had I continued to use it.

I ended up throwing the pan away and keeping the metal rack and plastic lid which fit a Latina 13" x 9" that I bought on QVC. Incidentally, I've used the Latina in the oven many times and it doesn't even have any cracks or crazing. That tells me that the problem is with the TT line exclusively, and not necessarily a particular pattern or other stoneware made in China.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

I never thought it would happen to me.

I was very careful to wash by hand and not keep them in water.

Within 5 uses, my large pan cracked in HALF as I was taking lasagna out of the oven. I have had crazing in items I have never even used yet.

This was OW, Christmas snowflake and polka dot pattern items.

I have bakers from Lidia's old line that are about 4 years old. I use them at least once a week and they are perfect...I even wash them in the dishwasher now too. They were also made in China...so I think it's the TT items and the way they cut corners to keep the prices low.

Honored Contributor

You all don't have to get nasty - I'm just trying to come to a reason why this happens to everyone else but me. I have the seashell pattern- the daisy pattern in black and some polka dot- a 9 x 13 with a lid it and an 8 x8 -here at camp I have the new gingham pattern and an old d/c rooster pattern casseroles and have not as yet experienced any cracking, crazing or breaking and I use them daily, and put them on the top rack of my dishwasher when I'm home. The only OW I have is the bread box and, of course, it just sits out on the counter.

Trusted Contributor

On 8/7/2014 happy housewife said:

You all don't have to get nasty - I'm just trying to come to a reason why this happens to everyone else but me. I have the seashell pattern- the daisy pattern in black and some polka dot- a 9 x 13 with a lid it and an 8 x8 -here at camp I have the new gingham pattern and an old d/c rooster pattern casseroles and have not as yet experienced any cracking, crazing or breaking and I use them daily, and put them on the top rack of my dishwasher when I'm home. The only OW I have is the bread box and, of course, it just sits out on the counter.

Oh, be patient. You will experience a "TempTations failure". Probably as you're reaching into the oven to pull out a dish of your famous lasagna for company and find it spilled and smoking in the bottom of the oven.........

Honored Contributor

Nobody is getting nasty.

I doubt you are the only one that hasn't experienced a cracking problem. But many people have.

Super Contributor

Sadly mine that cracked was " Blue Toile" a pattern which had been discontinued, so I couldn't even replace it... wish it were only old world, I don't have ANY of that one!,,,
Esteemed Contributor

My first set of Temptations was a limited edition pattern in cream and yellow with red roses and green leaves --- it was beautiful. The large baker cracked sitting in my cabinet - it had never seen the inside of an oven, refrigerator or freezer - just my cabinet. The two smaller ones cracked after one time making sweet potato casserole. They sent me a new one to replace the large baker - of course the original pattern was not available, so they sent me Old World. After a few times of making mac & cheese, that one cracked. It's the only Old World one that I used. I have one large Old World Baker that I'm now afraid to use in the oven, so it sits in my cabinet unused. Guess I will use it for cold dishes.

Honored Contributor

On 8/7/2014 kittymomNC said:

My first set of Temptations was a limited edition pattern in cream and yellow with red roses and green leaves --- it was beautiful. The large baker cracked sitting in my cabinet - it had never seen the inside of an oven, refrigerator or freezer - just my cabinet. The two smaller ones cracked after one time making sweet potato casserole. They sent me a new one to replace the large baker - of course the original pattern was not available, so they sent me Old World. After a few times of making mac & cheese, that one cracked. It's the only Old World one that I used. I have one large Old World Baker that I'm now afraid to use in the oven, so it sits in my cabinet unused. Guess I will use it for cold dishes.

That's my baker that broke! I don't remember the name of it either.

It was very pretty...but not worth getting hot lasagna on my feet!

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/7/2014 terrier3 said:
On 8/7/2014 kittymomNC said:

My first set of Temptations was a limited edition pattern in cream and yellow with red roses and green leaves --- it was beautiful. The large baker cracked <em>sitting in my cabinet</em> - it had never seen the inside of an oven, refrigerator or freezer - just my cabinet. The two smaller ones cracked after one time making sweet potato casserole. They sent me a new one to replace the large baker - of course the original pattern was not available, so they sent me Old World. After a few times of making mac & cheese, that one cracked. It's the only Old World one that I used. I have one large Old World Baker that I'm now afraid to use in the oven, so it sits in my cabinet unused. Guess I will use it for cold dishes.

That's my baker that broke! I don't remember the name of it either.

It was very pretty...but not worth getting hot lasagna on my feet!

Terrier3, that was a number of years ago - small world, isn't it? I still have the set and use it occasionally just to put something cold in because it's so pretty. It's not cracked badly, just crazed, but I'd never put it in the oven.

BTW, I've been trying to get a message to you for three days about your post to me on a thread that is no longer here. I appreciated what you posted to me, and have been trying to tell you that I very much appreciate your thoughtful and intelligent posts, even though we do sometimes disagree. And to tell you that you are a tenacious researcher -- don't know if you saw any of my attempts. I'm getting paranoid about posting anything lately because it seems everything I post on winds up disappearing.

And judging from what happened to me the other day, someone may come on this thread and tell me that I'm annoying them by posting what they consider a "personal message" here!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}