Not applicable

The bakeware marked 9 x 13 is really bigger. That's why my cakes turn out so thin. Can we get a pan that is really 9 x 13? I have had no trouble with my Temptations except learning to bake in it. My cakes are really dry so I believe I am baking them too long. Are the sides of the cake suppose to pull away from the edge? Is there a book that will give me any hints that would help me to learn how to bake in them? My casseroles are just fine, but my cakes and pastries are terrible. HELP!!!!!!! and Thanks in advance.

New Contributor

You might want to check your oven calibration to make sure the temperature is correct. Get one of those oven thermometers and put it on the oven rack. Check to see if the temperature that the oven is set for is the same as the temperature that registers on the thermometer.

My old oven took much longer to cook things than recipes specified. When I finally checked it, the actual temperature in the oven was 25 degrees lower than I set it.

Honored Contributor

Cake mixes are smaller in recent years, so if the pan is even bigger, you are really in trouble. Either get a pan of the right size, or investigate what you can do to compensate for the smaller volume of the mix--or both! I'd use two mixes, fill the pan to where it should be and make cupcakes out of the rest or just throw it away. Cake mix is cheap on sale. Or use a mix and a half each time and seal the rest well for th next time.

Respected Contributor

Mine are 9x13 and indent slightly so it's not the pan.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I always set my oven for 25 degrees less than recipes call for. I also check items that are cooking--I don't trust timers.