Contributor

Maureen's statements of products absorbed into the blood stream

This is not a bash of Maureen. She seems like a person that I would enjoy chatting with over a cup of coffee or glass of wine about life and good times in general. BUT some of her statements are misleading and this bothers me. I have no financial or any other interest in cosmetic or pharmaceutical companies. I would like to see her scientific support for her statement that what (in this case cosmetics) you put on your skin is absorbed into the blood steam.

I'm of the understanding that one of the differences between over the counter and prescription products is that prescription products penetrates deeper in the layers of skin and some are absorbed into the blood stream. Products purchased without prescription do not penetrate skin layers to the point of entering the blood stream.

Regarding petrolatum - decide for your self but have you ever used Neosporin? Or other therapy products.. See ingredients below:

The original ointment contains three different antibiotics: bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B, in a relatively low-molecular-weight patented base of cocoa butter, cottonseed oil, sodium pyruvate, tocopheryl acetate, and petroleum jelly.

Google petroleum jelly - and petrolatum - and decide for your self if it is an ingredient to be avoided.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Maureen's statements of products absorbed into the blood stream

Are you kidding me. You better believe that things you put on your skin and your hair get absorbed into your body. They make medical products that you put on your skin such as pain patches (among other things). What about nicotine patches? Same holds true for the cosmetics and creams. There are many IT Cosmetic products that I can't use because It contains snail secretion and I'm allergic to fish and shell fish.

Valued Contributor

What a load of bull that Maureen preaches that her stuff is so much less toxic than other makeup lines. True, chemicals can be absorbed through the skin. Different chemicals get absorbed at different rates. Some are readily absorbed, most are negligibly absorbed or not absorbed at all. But depends on the exact chemical.

Drugs that are easily absorbed through the skin AND that exert their effect at a low dose are the only things that can be administered dermally. That is why VERY few things (like nicotine) are put in patches, but the vast majority of other drugs have to be taken as a pill. because putting them on the skin would not work.

The other thing that irritates me about her claims, is that her stuff is all natural and therefore 100% safe. Most of the most toxic stuff known to man is 100% natural. Snake venom, arsenic, nicotine, cocaine, etc are all natural. Will never buy a tarte product, because if they can't get that right, who knows, they may be putting toxic stuff in their products just because it is 100% natural without bothering to check if it is safe.

(ETA I am a pharmacist)

Trusted Contributor

On 2/13/2015 tantallum said:

What a load of bull that Maureen preaches that her stuff is so much less toxic than other makeup lines. True, chemicals can be absorbed through the skin. Different chemicals get absorbed at different rates. Drugs that are easily absorbed through the skin AND that exert their effect at a low dose are the only things that can be administered dermally. That is why VERY few things (like nicotine) are put in patches, but the vast majority of other drugs have to be taken as a pill. because putting them on the skin would not work.

But that is not what irritates me about her. It's that she claims that her stuff is all natural and therefore 100% safe. Most of the most toxic stuff known to man is 100% natural. Snake venom, arsenic, nicotine, cocaine, etc are all natural. Will never buy a tarte product, because if they can't get that right, who knows they may be putting toxic stuff in their products just because it is 100% natural without bothering to check if it is safe.

(I am a pharmacist)

Tarte does list all the ingredients in their products. Have you done any research on their ingredients to substantiate your fear that they are intentionally adding toxic substances?

Valued Contributor

On 2/13/2015 pas4116 said:

What a load of bull that Maureen preaches that her stuff is so much less toxic than other makeup lines. True, chemicals can be absorbed through the skin. Different chemicals get absorbed at different rates. Drugs that are easily absorbed through the skin AND that exert their effect at a low dose are the only things that can be administered dermally. That is why VERY few things (like nicotine) are put in patches, but the vast majority of other drugs have to be taken as a pill. because putting them on the skin would not work.

But that is not what irritates me about her. It's that she claims that her stuff is all natural and therefore 100% safe. Most of the most toxic stuff known to man is 100% natural. Snake venom, arsenic, nicotine, cocaine, etc are all natural. Will never buy a tarte product, because if they can't get that right, who knows they may be putting toxic stuff in their products just because it is 100% natural without bothering to check if it is safe.

(I am a pharmacist)

Tarte does list all the ingredients in their products. Have you done any research on their ingredients to substantiate your fear that they are intentionally adding toxic substances?

I did not say that they are intentionally adding toxic substances to their products. But if their philosophy is that blanketly all natural products are 100% safe, and any non-natural product is evil (which is all she talks about through her presentations), I just lose respect for the company, personally. That is why I personally will not purchase any tarte products.

Super Contributor

FYI From Beautypedia: (the bolding in the text is mine)

Tarte Cosmetics At-A-Glance

Strengths: Excellent foundation; great cheek stain and powder blush; superior pressed powder and eyelining pencils; good mascaras; unique, innovative, beautiful packaging; complete ingredient lists on the company's Web site.

Weaknesses: Expensive; some gimmicky products and claims; lacks matte eyeshadow options.

Tarte Cosmetics CEO and founder Maureen Kelly started Tarte in 1999, supposedly out of a need to create a cosmetics line that "would prove that glamour can be good for you." Well, to be honest, we didn't know that glamour could be bad for anyone, no matter who was selling it. In this case, good-for-you glamour is about the products being "natural." Of course, lots of women believe that natural ingredients are the only way to go because they're told, and unfortunately often believe, that the synthetic ingredients in cosmetic products are toxic and poisonous for your skin. That is a misguided belief!

Ironically, despite Tarte's attention-getting marketing concept, their products aren't any more natural or healthier than loads of other products. We take particular issue with the company's claim of being preservative-free, synthetic dye-free, and talc-free. Not only are these ingredients not a problem for most people, but also many of Tarte's products do contain them! What is that about? Didn't anyone at Tarte read their own ingredient labels?

We are beyond understanding how a cosmetics company can base their advertising on what their products do not contain, yet fail to realize, or just won't acknowledge, that their products in fact do contain them—the very ingredients they tell you are toxic or poisonous for your skin. We mean, really, if your products (in this instance Tarte products) do contain isododecane, imidazolidinyl urea, butylene glycol, parabens, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, that's the pot calling the kettle black. Whatever… if Tarte chooses to mislead and misinform the consumer it doesn't seem to matter, because many uninformed women won't notice the hypocrisy—they'll just accept Tarte's claims at face value.

Marketing hype and ingredient deception aside, the ingredients Tarte does leave out of its products are sulfates (though sulfates are rarely used in makeup products anyway, so it is a trait most makeup products share), phthalates, and synthetic fragrance (but "natural" fragrance isn't any better for skin). That's nice, but in the scope of things, not really all that special.

We appreciate that Tarte conveys their message without the "granola," antiglamour, or anti-elegance image that's characteristic of many "natural" lines. The trade-off is that you're going to pay extra for Tarte's glamorous image and packaging. Although there are a handful of products in the Tarte lineup worth the splurge, if you only shopped this line for cosmetics, your wallet would definitely be lighter—and there's no need to splurge to the point of incurring debt just to outfit your makeup bag with all things Tarte. After all, you aren't going to be applying the packaging to your skin.

Those who shop carefully should pay close attention to Tarte's foundations, blush options, eye pencils, and a handful of their innovative products. If you're looking for matte eyeshadows, however, you're out of luck. Tarte isn't as full-featured as several other makeup artistry lines (Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier come to mind), and Tarte doesn't outdo Rimmel or Sonia Kashuk at the drugstore, but their good products are indeed good.

For more information about Tarte Cosmetics call 855-968-2783 or visitwww.tartecosmetics.com

Valued Contributor

Thank you for posting that Crisso. I had never read beautypedia, but it (more eloquently than I did in my post) clarifies my whole point.

Super Contributor

Thank you for posting that Crisso. I had never read beautypedia, but it (more eloquently than I did in my post) clarifies my whole point.

You are welcome. I found it interesting that you were being accused of not reading/understanding the ingredients when the poster(s) were in the dark...

Frequent Contributor

Can't abide those who use guilt or fear to sell a product. I remember the mess when del olio used fear comments about non-iron shirts to push his shirts that have to be ironed. I've never bought this line of makeup, or desire to. Am particularly turned off by "everyone else is doing bad things but me". How much can nasty mud possibly cost.
Honored Contributor

Virtually nothing that you put on your skin could possibly be absorbed into your bloodstream, unless it is concocted to do so.

She needs to bone up on Biology 101 and the definition of "skin." It is our protector.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland