Frequent Contributor
Can someone tell me how well the maracuja oil works? I am fairly new to tarte and was wondering if it was worth trying. I already use Josie's Argan oil and really like it and was wondering if incorporating this into my routine would be worth it or not.
Super Contributor

I haven't tried Argan oil so I can't compare. I've heard it's lighter than Argan oil though. Tarte's website has a travel size for $15 with the dropper. There's also a roller ball for a few dollars more. I personally prefer the dropper as it's easier to use, though I did get the rollerball's in a kit and used them under my eyes. If you haven't signed up for newsletters, I think you receive a discount when you apply, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

There was a post a few days ago talking about which oils are good for different types of skin. It was on beauty banter. It referenced a blogger who broke down info on various oils as well that people found very informative. I hope I can find it as well! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

This is passionfruit seed oil or oil from the fruit. We used to eat these in Brazil (and I remember it being pronounced Mar-a-cu-JAH. My cousins are Brazilian.) It is very light in consistency.

The seeds of fruits have fatty acids. The Maracuja is high in linoleic acid (which gets its name from linseed or flaxseed.) By contrast, the Argan oil is high in oleic acid (gets its name from olives.)

Oleic acid (Argan, camellia oil) is more moisturizing but it isn't as light for people whose pores clog. Linoleic acid may be more suitable if you have sensitive skin--in my case, I know I tolerate Maracuja better than olive or Argan or Camellia oil.

Babbasu oil is similar to coconut oil (high in oleic.) It's also high in waxy oils as is coconut (lauric and myristic.) They are more likely to clog skin.

I've tried a number of these oils as I have been using oil as a natural moisturizer and a base for healing scars for years. I prefer Maracuja.

Super Contributor

I use both. I do Maracuja at night or in the day if my skin feels drier than usual. Then a bit of Argan on top. Clear, clean skin, no need for foundation and the texture feels smoother now. So when I do both depending on need I do Maracuja first then Argan to sort of seal it in. Twice a day. LOVE IT!!!

Occasional Contributor
On 1/19/2015 Campion said:

This is passionfruit seed oil or oil from the fruit. We used to eat these in Brazil (and I remember it being pronounced Mar-a-cu-JAH. My cousins are Brazilian.) It is very light in consistency.

The seeds of fruits have fatty acids. The Maracuja is high in linoleic acid (which gets its name from linseed or flaxseed.) By contrast, the Argan oil is high in oleic acid (gets its name from olives.)

Oleic acid (Argan, camellia oil) is more moisturizing but it isn't as light for people whose pores clog. Linoleic acid may be more suitable if you have sensitive skin--in my case, I know I tolerate Maracuja better than olive or Argan or Camellia oil.

Babbasu oil is similar to coconut oil (high in oleic.) It's also high in waxy oils as is coconut (lauric and myristic.) They are more likely to clog skin.

I've tried a number of these oils as I have been using oil as a natural moisturizer and a base for healing scars for years. I prefer Maracuja.

All excellent advice and info. I'm in complete agreement! I fought with argan oil but kept trying hoping my skin was purging or adjusting but I kept breaking out and began developing deep acne cysts under my skin (that bumpy look from pimples that are brewing). So I did my own research and found that linoleic acids are best for my sensitive, adult acne prone, easily clogged pores (which are especially noticeable in general given I make Nicole Kidman look tan so I don't need to be using anything that stretches my pores out even more!) Maracuja oil works best out of all the oils I've tried. Even when I found my favorite cleansing cream for my hair (by ouidad), after about a month I began getting bumps on my scalp and read the bottle- one of the top ingredients is coconut oil Smiley Sad Still figuring out the hair situation since I'm definitely NOT a "wen girl"- not only did I get a rash but I developed scalp pustules after about 2mos of use, 1-2x every 10 days, and my hair began coming out in clumps. Been having good but slow improvement with Keranique tho for now. But at least I have a good price on pure maracuja oil for my face, etc, and I also use a light film over my dog's and cats' minor skin irritations without making them sick or using a chemical alternative given they clean/chew themselves.