Respected Contributor

I bought one of SG's faux leather blazers when she first started selling them years ago. Loved it, but didn't wear it a whole lot because it was a little warm and didn't breathe. Mostly it hung in my closet, but every time I wore it I got compliments galore!

I pulled it out to wear it for the first time this season and was horrified to find the "leather" cracked and peeling around the collar around the back of the neck! It must have had some reaction to my skin or a product/fragrance that broke down the bond. I have long hair that would cover it, but I would be embarrassed if it was ever noticed. I have a lightweight t-shirt style hoodie that I wore with the hood covering the collar and got away with it. But I'll never again be able to wear it without something covering that part of the collar.

Super Contributor

Re: Faux Leather Jacket Peeling

No, it wasn't a reaction to anything you wore, it's the fake leather material it's made of. I have one of her faux leather jackets that did the same thing - around the neck, and patches came peeling off the back. I was SO disappointed as I really liked that jacket and did wear it a lot.

Respected Contributor

I had a favorite black raincoat that had a patent leather look to it. Loved it and wore it often. About ten years later I went to wear it on a rainy day and the outer material had basically disintegrated. Was so disappointed I never bought a replacement faux leather coat. Real leather is so much more durable.

Super Contributor

i have few good collection of leather jackets.

Super Contributor

That happens with faux leather after a few years. I had a DB silver faux leather that peeled. I had a BMackie leopard print faux leather that peeled. I had a gray snake print from Daffy's that peeled.

So far none of SG's peeled ... I gave away most of the older ones a couple of years ago. The couple in my closet at the moment are only about two years old. So far, so good.

Respected Contributor

I was really sad to see it. I really liked that jacket, but would not purchase another if this is a common issue.

Honored Contributor

I don't ever buy faux leather for this reason; once it starts peeling, it's ruined; doesn't seem to matter how much you spend on it, faux leather isn't worth the money.

Esteemed Contributor

Faux Leather is just plastic bonded to a base material. Does not Surprise me in the least that it is peeling and cracking. Surprised there have not been more reports of this.