Occasional Contributor

I was very happy to see that faux leather was beginning to be an "in" thing for Susan Graver however, watching the program tonight 3/16/14 10-11pm eastern time, I was totally disappointed and surprised by the host and Susan LAUGHING at the fact that some refer to her faux as vegan leather, every time they said vegan they laughed and made fun of it, I hate to inform you both, host and Susan - there are ALOT of people like me that buy items that have not harmed or killed animals in the process, and making fun of the fact that animals didn't DIE for the clothes is very disrespectful to those who care about animals not to mention the animals that do die for clothing. And just because it is FAUX does NOT mean it is vegan, one must research the components to be able to classify any item as VEGAN. It is NOT a term to be used lightly and it is certainly not a term to be laughed at. Cruelty to animals in the clothing industry is horrific and any designer who CHOOSES to be cruelty free will always get my money and trust me I spend alot of money each year to make sure I don't have animal products. Please show some respect for us and please don't refer to faux leathers as the best faux Lambskin as if that makes it more acceptable - what makes it acceptable is that it is not a baby LAMB for pete's sake......and 90% of my closet is Susan Graver but if I continue to see her make fun of people like myself buying without cruelty I will discontinue buying her products and find a designer who is proud to be cruelty free.

Susan please be PROUD of the fact that no animals died for your clothing and don't laugh at the fact. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

I watched the show tonight and I don't think SG and SB were making fun of the vegans , they were laughing because SG has been selling faux leather for years. It's just now that the high end designers are using faux and making it chic by calling it vegan leather. SG loves animals and does much to help animals. I am not a SG fan because of the way she performs when she presents her line, but she isn't a bad person.

Not applicable
I have to agree. After watching the show for 10 minutes, I had a headache from listening to Susan screaming about how wonderful her clothes are and literally ripping the hangers away from the host. I could not believe how rude she was. The poor host might have well not even been there. I felt sorry for Sandra. As soon as the show started, it seemed the host could barely get a word in. I couldn't stand watching much less buy anything. The clothes looked nice, but Susan really needs to tone it down and let the host do her job. The vegan comments were inappropriate.
Occasional Contributor

Hi Baker,

I never said Susan was a bad person, but their laughter every time they said Vegan was just a bit disrespectful, and vegan should always be chic, cruelty free should always be the "IN" thing. I have been watching her for years and obviously buying for a LONG time, but it was a bit overwhelming to hear them laugh and say they were going to use that term all the time now, again vegan leather is not a term used for faux it is a term used for a whole item that it's individual parts were also cruelty free so their light banter about all faux being vegan shows they are not informed on it. And I do realize she most likely loves animals but there is a huge disconnect with most people from domesticated animals like dogs and cats and those that are tortured for food and clothing. I mean some people sit and discuss animal abuse over a hamburger - there is a serious disconnect.

I just hope that she will take it a bit more seriously the next time she discusses it and will emphasize the fact that it is cruelty free maybe not even using the vegan term cause most don't understand what that means like organic, that is a huge label that is hard to get, so is vegan leather.....cruelty free would be a great way to describe it.....I hope she reads this and sees that I am coming from a place of concern as a customer and not bashing her but trying to inform. I appreciate your kind response most times cruelty free people don't get kind responders so for that I thank you!! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think having to switch to another term in order to be PC was probably why they laughed.....nothing more than that. Lighten up! I now hear ""manmade leather"" which is just as absurd as ""vegan leather"" by definition.

Occasional Contributor

It's not about politically correct the use of the word VEGAN has a criteria so it's not a new fad term to be used mildly it has a requirement and saying that it is vegan is false advertising if it is not. And no one should be told to lighten up when they are trying to find compassion in cruelty free items. Referring to faux leather as the finest lambskin and someone pointing out that that remark might not be the best way due to it's inference of cruelty in a cruelty free product should not be told to lighten up, I think those that make light of the animal suffering should wise up, it's not cute or funny.

Valued Contributor
OP, you've made your point. I didn't watch the show tonight, but Susan has been steadfast in not using leather in any of her products. As someone who owns many of her items, I'm sure you're aware of her position about not using leather. I doubt she was laughing at the term, but if it bothers you, then comment on her blog and/or FB page.
Valued Contributor

Point taken, point made, don't beat it to death.

Super Contributor
On 6/9/2014 Farnella Dot Gridwhop said:

In testing.

What are you testing exactly?

New Contributor

Talisin...I did not see the show, but I do agree with you totally. I am a lover of all animals, domestic, wild, farm animals, etc. Im a vegetarian and in the past five years have stopped buying any fashion made from animals. No leather, suede, wool...and never fur. Everything I buy is cruelty free...from shoes to bags to coats...anything. I wont buy a pair of jean with a leather label on it. I wish more people felt like us. God Bless You.

These innocent animals, Gods creatures, aren't for our entertainment or to abuse or torture.

Just remember, all animals whether they are your pet or a wild animal...all feel pain and fear.

I pray for humanity to be more compassionate towards animals.