Contributor

QVC "Prices" Are Meaningless!

This really struck home today while watching the Mark Charles collapsible Kitchen Island. The "price" was $297.86, but the S & H was $59.47!! So what meaning does the "$297.86" have at all?? NONE! It's a totally meaningless number! (...unless we are able to come pick up the item in our car...)

Why not just call it $357.33 and be done with it??? Not to mention adding tax on to that.

It's just ridiculous...really.

Super Contributor

Re: QVC ""Prices"" Are Meaningless!

Can you imagine what a return would cost? Factor into the original shipping you've paid along with YOUR return charges which you would have to pay and don't get refunded unless the item is defective....yikes!
Respected Contributor

Well, the message here is to buy larger items from a place closer to home.

Honored Contributor

Is there any retailer out there that does this, other than the obvious with free shipping? Shoppers at the q have the option to pick a carrier or expedited shipping, if they chose, which may raise the price significantly.
Honored Contributor

I don't know of any on-line retailer that shows the price of an item to include shipping. In fact, in many cases, you can't even find the shipping costs until that last step of checking out. At least the Q lets you know upfront what the shipping costs are. We may not like the cost, but at least it's not hidden (except within the food items).

Respected Contributor

And they can't list tax as it's different from state to state, even town to town.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Oh I hadn't thought of the cost to return an item with such expensive shipping...ouch
Contributor

QVC could say the price is $xxxxx including shipping; and if the buyer, when checking out wants faster delivery, he could choose expedited shipping and see the total at checkout. I have no problem seeing the tax only at the checkout. At least it's not $15,000,000 additional, lol.
New Contributor

Shipping is always high at Qvc! Maybe that's how they make most of there profit. There have been times that I've decided against purchasing an item because when you factor in the shipping and taxes the deal is not so good anymore.

Respected Contributor

Consumers need to be smart to get the best deal. What you describe has always been the case. I look at the "price" the salespeople, aka hosts are hawking, and add in the shipping. I would not buy an expensive household item from QVC without shopping around. Indeed several years back I bought a vitamix and a dyson at total prices that were better than I could get locally. Once I fell to the hype and bought a laptop maybe ten years ago. I didn't have internet access then and I "trusted" I was getting a good deal. It was not, it came with cr**ap software I would never use. Almost always you can get a better deal locally. But today if I was home bound, didn't like to shop at brick and mortar, or I just loved greeting the postman or ups man, I might order from QVC regardless of price. A forth category are the people that are oblivious of alternatives and believe the sales hype. These people never consider checking around, either locally or online. They have made a personal connection with the hosts and much of their buying decision revolves around this. QVC fosters this connection. I think it is a mistake on the part of QVC to foster this pseudo relationship because It potentially puts each of the hosts at risk and falsely promotes value when it often is not there.