Valued Contributor

Well, if it were not so cringe worthy it be would be funny. I have noticed frequently, that many hosts, like the one on now, have not learned how to pronounce vowels or words correctly. A sweater is not

ICK' -spin-sive

Honored Contributor

Re: Mispronounced words.....

Here we go again!!!!

Honored Contributor

Come on. Enough is enough. Pronunciations are impacted by region. Stop being so picky and critical. Heck, if I drive 2 hours south of here, you'd think they were speaking a different language.

Super Contributor

On 3/14/2015 CalmInTheHeart said:

Come on. Enough is enough. Pronunciations are impacted by region. Stop being so picky and critical. Heck, if I drive 2 hours south of here, you'd think they were speaking a different language.

Hear, hear. ITA!!!
Respected Contributor

On 3/14/2015 CalmInTheHeart said:

LOL, no kidding. My younger brother has a different accent than I do. He moved to a different state when he was a baby with my parents.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I understand the OP's frustration. Different regions have different ways of speaking however some of the show host's mangle the English language and they seem to do it intentionally. I also think the valley girl squeak is something that should be addressed by the Q. When I am listening to a presentation I do not want to hear made up words, baby talk, whispering or voices that grind like chalk on a chalkboard. Like, oh yeah like look at this top like oh yeah it is uber cut like oh yeah.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Valued Contributor

Mispronunciation is mispronunciation. The region you live in has nothing to do with it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/14/2015 MathisFan said:

Mispronunciation is mispronunciation. The region you live in has nothing to do with it.

spellings, local or regional mispronunciations and hearing problems. All of these can cause people to say words differently from the standard pronunciation.

Reading is a complex task that involves translating abstract symbols, or letters, into

Loc

Esteemed Contributor

Local or regional mispronunciations can cause people to say words differently.

Honored Contributor

Baloney!

As a midwesterner, I hear New Yorkers and Bostonians pronounce words very different from where I live.

I can drive south 3 hours to Missouri and notice a huge difference. I lived in northern Minnesota when I was younger and they say their vowels different than here.

In parts of the east, many people say jewlery but we say jewelry here.

I could go on and on.