Valued Contributor

Does Anyone Else Find This on the Posts to be Annoying???

When people replying on posts use the quote feature, it lengthens each discussion and I stop reading them or it gets confusing. I was just trying to read under the Health topic, the post about # of hours of sleep and many used the quote feature so that in some replies you had several original posts. Why??? I know I am not the only one because people seem to get confused about who wrote what...it can be funny at times.

You can use the quote feature but delete a portion of the person(s) quote and leave what you really need to reply to.

Make it easier on me please,

TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Else Find This on the Posts to be Annoying???

After the first time or two I often try to delete all the quotes. I agree, posts can get ridiculously long when the quoting just goes on and on...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I agree that it can become excessive. Judicious use of quoting can be very helpful, but when the quoting goes on and on before I can see the new comment, I just quit.

Respected Contributor

What is annoying to me is when there are SEVERAL threads on the same topic. I try to scan the board before starting a new post, just to see if it is already being discussed.

Wish I had a dollar for every "Lisa leaving" thread & "Susan Graver talks too much" thread,lol!!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like the long posts from quotes either....unfortunately I don't know how to condense the post down...I am very electronic challenged....

I wonder if we could get everyone to put the persons nic...then the post # your quoting..then post your reply.....that would sure make the threads shorter...

Honored Contributor

No, it doesn't bother me at all. That's why I use the scroll button. Yes, if I select quote, I often delete all that doesn't apply but it doesn't bother me if someone else doesn't.

You can only control yourself. Why let yourself get upset over something so minor given all that's going on in most peoples' lives and in our crazy world?

Honored Contributor

I agree with the OP. Circles in post #4 has a good idea. I will be doing that until I figure out how to condense the chains of quotes.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Once posters start quoting and re-quoting over and over, I quit reading and close the thread.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I do sometimes remove a portion of the post and just leave what is relevant.... because otherwise if you quote it, and then re-quote the entire thing it can make a response quite lengthy...{#emotions_dlg.laugh} But it doesn't really bother me to scroll to the bottom to read the reply. And sometimes you can follow the conversation without quoting.

I think it would be more confusing and time consuming if you just included the post number that you were replying to, especially if the Moderators chose to delete a response or two within a thread then it might not make any sense at all because I'm not sure whether the original reply # would be kept....anyone know?

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Just recently I was annoyed because someone didn't use the quote feature, yet began by referring to a previous post made about 25 posts beforehand. I had to scroll down to figure out what was being referred to. The post would have easily made sense if the person used the quote feature. What annoys me about using quote feature is when people type inside the quote box instead of leaving space between their comment and the previous comment. It's sometimes difficult to determine who said what!