Esteemed Contributor

How about installing better spam filters?!

Geez, every morning there are at least 6 spammy posts, mostly in the beauty section, to navigate. If I, clearly NOT an expert webbie, can install anti-spam software, pretty sure you can too.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

Re: How about installing better spam filters?!

Even the best of filters are not infallible. There are thousands of bots trying to hack commercial sites all the time.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I don't think the problem is the spam filter as such. Nearly 100% of the spam is from "new" users. It's far too easy to create a throw-away email address, register an account, and post in the Community. If it were harder to create a new account, and if there were controls on the first posts by "new" users, nearly all of the junk could be eliminated.

I just hope people are careful enough to avoid the links/websites promoted in the posts since many of them lead to dangerous phishing or malware.{#emotions_dlg.angry}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/5/2014 debc said:

Even the best of filters are not infallible. There are thousands of bots trying to hack commercial sites all the time.

Yes, that's true but the simple solution is to code so that all first posts by a new user that contain a link go into a bucket awaiting approval by the moderator.

That would slow down the spammers.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat