Occasional Contributor

Please please please remind presenters and hosts how to pronounce the word 'important' and to stay away from the lazy and just plain wrong 'imporant'. It's awful and used more and more. Who knows why, but it is awful. It's enough to turn this particular customer away from whatever is being presented just for using this inappropriate slang. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pronouncing ""important""

I often hear "impordent" or "imporrent" even on my local news. There is a local newscaster who routinely says "fitty" or "fiddy" for fifty, and I am in the West, not the Northeast. It has been said before, but I hold people who "broadcast" or otherwise appear on radio or TV as their profession to a higher standard, diction-wise. Good diction should be part of their training.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I'm sorry but why is this a big deal? There are many ways to pronounce a word, usually due to regional differences. Stop judging and just relax and enjoy life.

Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

I'm sorry but why is this a big deal? There are many ways to pronounce a word, usually due to regional differences. Stop judging and just relax and enjoy life.

Exactly!

When threads like this are started it makes me more aware that nearly everyone does this and just doesn't realize it! I know when I read something out loud formally, I annunciate the letters but just in conversation don't. It's actually kind of amusing and can sound condescending to hear someone annunciate articulately in a casual conversation as most don't do this.

Super Contributor

I have never heard anyone pronounce it ""imporant."" I have heard it pronounced ""importan"" where they don't pronounce the last t.

Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Pook said:

Exactly!

When threads like this are started it makes me more aware that nearly everyone does this and just doesn't realize it! I know when I read something out loud formally, I annunciate the letters but just in conversation don't. It's actually kind of amusing and can sound condescending to hear someone annunciate articulately in a casual conversation as most don't do this.

If pronouncing words correctly is not a big deal why is it such a big deal to some posters to correct English, punctuation, spelling etc. on the threads?

It goes to the posting standard of it is OK to do or say some things but not others.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 golfcartrider said:
On 10/21/2014 Pook said:

Exactly!

If pronouncing words correctly is not a big deal why is it such a big deal to some posters to correct English, punctuation, spelling etc. on the threads?

It goes to the posting standard of it is OK to do or same some things but not others.

Some posters think their way is the only correct way. It's rude to be the grammar and punctuation police on this site. Everything has its time and place and this isn't it.

Super Contributor

I have NEVER heard any host say ""imporant"". Aren't you getting kinda picky ?

Respected Contributor

On 10/21/2014 golfcartrider said:
On 10/21/2014 Pook said:

Exactly!

It goes to the posting standard of it is OK to do or same some things but not others.

Some posters think their way is the only correct way. It's rude to be the grammar and punctuation police on this site. Everything has its time and place and this isn't it.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Don't worry, be Happy!
Super Contributor

Some of the hosts simply don't use proper English, proper tense or pronunciation. Some of them use childish and immature phraseology as well as made up words. All of these issues are not as important as the lack of fresh and unique merchandise - that is my major gripe.