Frequent Contributor

when hiring hosts pay attention to their voices (why I like Lisa)

Several of the Q hosts, as well as hosts on other shopping channels fall into these categories: loud, motor-mouth screechers or pipsqueak little girl voices.

I either hit mute or don't watch at all.

Keep in mind one of Lisa's best qualities: her voice. Whatever else you do or don't like about her, she is much easier to listen to than many of the newer hosts. I don't have to mention names, just look at the many threads about possible Lisa replacements for 'PM Style', etc. and why people don't like them.

Honored Contributor

Re: when hiring hosts pay attention to their voices (why I like Lisa)

Lisa has an extremely pleasant voice. The new host Stacey and Gabrielle sometimes not so much. Dave James' voice was excellent for the job.

Respected Contributor

For the most part QVC and HSN have hosts with pleasant voices. Now Jewelry Television out of Nashville, OMG. One of the hosts (Wendy) talks through her nose, nasal, high pitch and talks so fast she sounds like she is speaking another language. There is no way to get info about anything she sells. Thank God we don't have any like her on QVC.

HSN by far has the best show hosts, and that is considering Donkey laugh Shannon and Bend at the knees Callie.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Valued Contributor

She does have a very easy to listen to voice,some of the other hosts,I find difficult to listen to so...I don't!

Respected Contributor

I'm not a big Lisa fan, but I do agree that she has a good voice. She's easy to listen to (except for the ummms and repeating words lol). Many of the other female hosts are not so pleasant to listen to. Many of them are just too loud, too hyper, have little girl voices or just plain annoying. Voices I don't like listening to are Albany, Carolyn, Kirsten, Jennifer, Amy, Courtney and Rick.

Esteemed Contributor

As far as voices for TV go, Carolyn Gracie has the best next to or equal to Lisa...the tone, well-modulated, easy to listen to. I also think Sandra Bennett and Jennifer Coffey have very nice "listening" voices. Gabrielle and Amy, not so much. And sorry for the Courtney fans, I think she sounds like a teeny-bopper sometimes, or a valley girl, don't care to listen to her or watch her - she acts too little girlish and sometimes phony. I'm covering my head for the bombardment, but that's just my opinion. Maybe someday, with some additional growing up....

Respected Contributor

On 10/12/2014 kittymomNC said:

As far as voices for TV go, Carolyn Gracie has the best next to or equal to Lisa...the tone, well-modulated, easy to listen to. I also think Sandra Bennett and Jennifer Coffey have very nice "listening" voices. Gabrielle and Amy, not so much. And sorry for the Courtney fans, I think she sounds like a teeny-bopper sometimes, or a valley girl, don't care to listen to her or watch her - she acts too little girlish and sometimes phony. I'm covering my head for the bombardment, but that's just my opinion. Maybe someday, with some additional growing up....

It's strange how we all like different voices. A lot of times I find Carolyn to be very loud during her presentations. When she is the voice for QVC commercials, she seems more calm and quiet.

Honored Contributor

On 10/12/2014 MarthaStewardess said:
On 10/12/2014 kittymomNC said:

It's strange how we all like different voices. A lot of times I find Carolyn to be very loud during her presentations. When she is the voice for QVC commercials, she seems more calm and quiet.

I agree that Carolyn has a very nice voice. Jennifer Coffey and Sandra yes and I agree Gabrielle and Amy not so much. Courtney-- I hope they don't think she can take Lisa's place. She acts so immature and "cutsey" and doesn't let the vendors speak. Also, makes many errors in the presentations. She is not ready for prime time.

Super Contributor

I'm sure the hiring staff has never thought of that for on air hosts and will take your suggestion into consideration.

Honored Contributor

That's why QVC has a tendency to hire those with a background in news or TV .... they've already worked with a vocal coach.