Contributor

About a year ago I started noticing that QVC is trying to hide the total cost of their items. They emphasize the cost of the easy pay (in red) so we won't notice the total price. The total price is written so small that I have to get up from my chair and come right up to the tv set to see the overall price of the item. The hosts are complicit in this effort. They don't even say how much the item costs, just how much the easy pay payments are, and sometimes they don't even do that. They'll say something like "You can get this item home for only a dollar and a half a day." They should be saying "This item costs $400. Easy pay is 4 payments of $100." They used to be very clear on how much the items costs. Now they try to hide it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: HOW MUCH DOES IT COST??????

I frequently see exactly the opposite.

The full price is in fairly large print and the easy pay is much smaller, and hard to see unless you're looking to see if EP is offered.

It would be nice to have them both about the same size print, and maybe the full price in red, EP in black,something like that.

I honestly can't imagine any reasonably informed and savvy shopper, being fooled into thinking EP was the full price. For instance no way in the world can I imagine anyone thinking a $400 Dooney, could be yours for around $80 plus tax and shipping. You'd have to have never shopped for or have any real knowledge of the item.

Customers who have such significant, vision or hearing impairments, that they can't see or hear well, would be much wiser to shop by phone.

I don't know what the point would be, of being deliberately deceitful. If I felt a retailer duped me into making a purchase, the item would go back, on principal, no matter how much I wanted it, and that retailer would have permanently lost a customer. I suspect a lot of people would feel the same, so, wouldn't it be a pretty stupid practice?

Trusted Contributor

QVC is not trying to hide anything. I am legally blind, and I have absolutely no trouble seeing the total price on the screen.

While hosts may emphasize the monthly cost on EZ Pay, this is simply a sales tactic that many other retailers user (think car dealers, any retailer selling something to be paid in monthly installments, for instance). Additionally, when purchasing something -- either online or on the phone -- customers are made aware of the total cost.

If you have trouble seeing the price -- or if you choose to ignore the total cost -- do not hold QVC responsible.

Honored Contributor

On 9/20/2014 KYToby said:

QVC is not trying to hide anything. I am legally blind, and I have absolutely no trouble seeing the total price on the screen.

While hosts may emphasize the monthly cost on EZ Pay, this is simply a sales tactic that many other retailers user (think car dealers, any retailer selling something to be paid in monthly installments, for instance). Additionally, when purchasing something -- either online or on the phone -- customers are made aware of the total cost.

If you have trouble seeing the price -- or if you choose to ignore the total cost -- do not hold QVC responsible.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

I have no problems with the way on-screen EP pricing is handled and until last night, I'd have tended to agree with those taking exception to the OP's comments. That said, while flashing through the channels and stopping briefly to see Jane do an overview of the coming show's contents, it seemed she twice cited the EP price without clarifying. While I have little doubt that she went on to do so during the full presentations of these items, were I among the scads of new customers they're always telling us about, I can only say that I'd have felt completely duped had I ordered based on the preview and would then have questioned the honesty and integrity of this retailer overall. Uh uh, this isn't a mere sales ploy, this is a gimmick, it borders on dishonest, and QVC needs to insist the hosts stop doing it. If sales are so bad hosts need to intentionally mislead customers to move the goods, then QVC needs to look at correcting the reasons why.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I don't recall noticing what Jayne Brown says when easy pay is involved. But I do know that she very clearly includes the shipping charges when she talks about how much an item will cost. She's very deliberate about it. (At least in the most recent presentations I watched.)

Honored Contributor

Some people are always looking for ways to get something for nothing - or for way less than its price!

In this case, we're talking about adults who are doing the ordering and before that adult signs off either online or on the phone, the exact full price shows up. There's absolutely never been an attempt to cheat me ever.

I do think as a rule people are also more inclined nowadays to expect the other guy (QVC or whoever) to protect them when really the only person who cares about your money is you. Caveat emptor, which I learned in 9th grade in the early 1950's was important, is even more important today than then, but I never worry when I'm buying from QVC.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had some of the same problems as the OP. Sometime in the last year, the box with the item information became very small on my TV screen. But the total price was bigger, and the EZ pay price was smaller.

Now, most of the time the total price shows on my screen VERY SMALL, and the EZ pay, if there is one, is bigger. I have to do the same thing as the OP if I want to actually read the total price. It's not all the time, and not on every item, but on many and it's irritating to say the least. Also, what used to be round circles at the bottom of the screen indicating what was getting limited, what had sold out, etc., have become little square boxes, and I can't read anything at all - not the sizes or the color names of the items. It's become totally useless to me. I thought it was my cable company that had changed something, but of course they swear it would have to be QVC itself.

I did notice Sharon Faetsch the other night on the food show presenting muffins - she continually said that the price came out to $whatever PER MUFFIN - I did not feel like getting my calculator to figure 12 muffins at $2.14 (or whatever) or 24 at $1.62. Even with the info box, I never did see the total price of the 12 or 24 boxes of muffins. Yes, I could have calculated it or gone to my computer to check the information if I really needed to know, but it actually took my attention off the muffins. Even if I had been tempted, I wouldn't have bought them just for the sheer frustration of it.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's about anyone trying to get something for nothing. I also don't think it's about the fact that before checking out we should always ensure we know what the actual costs are to get an item home, and I agree, it's very easy to do so. I also don't think it's about the fallacy that clearly exists in the eyes of some that says the Q can simply NEVER, ever do any wrong...

Pure and simple, the hosts should be held accountable and should be responsible for ALWAYS ensuring that they quote the full price AND the EP price. Sorry, but for me, there are 'no ifs ands or buts' with respect to this.

This also isn't about anyone being duped because anyone with half a brain cell isn't going to be. This isn't about an attempt to cheat customers because I don't think the Q is trying to do so, though it seems clear that whether the practice is driven by hosts, who need to move the goods, or by 'corporate', there does seem to be some attempt, at times, to obfuscate prices...

What it IS about is basic honesty and integrity. Yes the buyer needs to beware, ALWAYS. Just as the merchant needs to be clear about their pricing, ALWAYS.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

Back in the day when there was a one time only or some other special price, the original price would be shown. I've called about this to customer service several times. How are we supposed to know how good a price is for a one time only or an event price, if they won't show it. What gives?