Respected Contributor

It's Carolyn...NOT Caroline!!

I have seen countless threads with Carolyn's name mis-spelled. Come on people, if you're gonna say it, say it right! Drives me nuts!

Honored Contributor

Re: It's Carolyn...NOT Caroline!!

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't think it's a big deal....you know who they're talking about. And I know a couple of women whose name is spelled Caroline and it is pronounced CaroLYN.

Honored Contributor

I've been wondering who this 'Caroline' is. I think it's only polite, if one is going to discuss somebody, to make a point to spell their name right.

I just figured it was another new one with whom I'm not familiar, as I'm WAY behind on new hosts.

Honored Contributor

It's a MISTAKE. Take a chill pill, honeybunch.

Honored Contributor

If that bugs you, you'd better stay out of the Beauty Banter forum. I SMH when people in the forum write "Argon Oil" instead of the correct "Argan Oil". There's no such thing as argon oil. Argon is a gas. How could people not know that? While writing on a discussion board is more informal, and these slips can often be counted as honest mistakes, but when they're seen over and over again it does give the impression that people either honestly don't know, don't care, or the overall dumbing down of society in general, not to mention the incorrect usage/spelling of the words there, their, and they're, your and you're, seen and saw, etc. And by golly, don't try to correct anyone or you'll be the one getting flamed.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Grief! What happens when you really have a problem?

Super Contributor

ITA!! This is a major peeve of mine!! They are in such a mad rush to complain but they don't even know the host's name or how to spell it. It would take two seconds to check it. My response on that thread about ""Caroline"" was that her name was Carolyn!

I also can't stand when people spell Jayne Brown's name as Jane and then everyone thinks it's Jane Treacy or more times than not people say Lisa Robinson instead of Robertson.

Regular Contributor

TX-starlight-----Take a deep breath, turn around and leave the room. Get yourself under control. There are alot more issues to be concerned with. Do you hear Caroline...whoops, Carolyn complaining because someone spelled her name incorrectly? Doubt it.....

Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

If that bugs you, you'd better stay out of the Beauty Banter forum. I SMH when people in the forum write "Argon Oil" instead of the correct "Argan Oil". There's no such thing as argon oil. Argon is a gas. How could people not know that? While writing on a discussion board is more informal, and these slips can often be counted as honest mistakes, but when they're seen over and over again it does give the impression that people either honestly don't know, don't care, or the overall dumbing down of society in general, not to mention the incorrect usage/spelling of the words there, their, and they're, your and you're, seen and saw, etc. And by golly, don't try to correct anyone or you'll be the one getting flamed.

I've misspelled 'argan' only to look at it and think that the word just didn't look right. It was then that I checked by doing a search. It's not an every day word, so it's easy to make a mistake.

As far as people not knowing that 'argon' is a gas, sorry, but I'm not up on the latest gaseous materials, so I wouldn't catch that error. Wink

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

On 9/17/2014 BonnieBelle said:

ITA!! This is a major peeve of mine!! They are in such a mad rush to complain but they don't even know the host's name or how to spell it. It would take two seconds to check it. My response on that thread about "Caroline" was that her name was Carolyn!

I also can't stand when people spell Jayne Brown's name as Jane and then everyone thinks it's Jane Treacy or more times than not people say Lisa Robinson instead of Robertson.

tks Bonnie for realizing what I am talking about. A name is very important & people need to take notice of the spelling & pronounciation. I have a very close friend who mis-spelled my last name for yrs! Everytime I got a card from her I would just shake my head & wonder what goes on in her head. I never mentioned it, but it still irritated me just a tiny bit than people don't pay attention to details such as that.

All of you who think I need to take a breath, get up on another side of the bed....I KNOW you have something that irritates you. There is not a person alive that doesn't have some little "pet peeve".