Respected Contributor

I'd like to see a gold filled with resin item cut open so we can see just how much gold and how much resin is in the piece. This is done with bronze jewelry so we can see that the color is the same throughout.

Please consider doing this!

Honored Contributor

I agree.

Super Contributor

I saw them do that once. They cut open gold filled with resin to show us what it looked like. The resin keeps the gold (which is soft) from denting. A solid piece of gold jewelry would cost a small fortune and would have to be purchased from a jeweler.

Honored Contributor

I know I've seen the cuts at a Macys store, but I'm not sure about on QVC. That's partly my fault because now that I'm no longer buying jewelry, I rarely watch. Same as I don't go looking at wool coats much since I spend winters in southern Florida. Even as I sit here, my TV is tuned to a football game, not to any shopping channels!

Respected Contributor
I have never seen tHem do that with Oro Nuovo or the generic silicone filled. I would like to see it as well so that I can see they are not selling gold plated resin. I did notice that the gold that is filled seems to get brassy over time, unlike unfilled gold.
Contributor

great suggestion but doubtful it will be done.

I googled info on resin/silicone filled jewelry. One jewelry manufacturer noted 2-8 microns of 14k gold over resin (a human hair is 70 microns) Don't know how many microns of gold QVC uses....but even if they used 10 times that, there still would only be an extremely thin film of gold over the resin.

Interesting read, QVC is mentioned:

http://www.iol.co.za/blogs/wendy-knowler-s-consumer-watch-1.1608/all-that-glitters-isn-t-all-gold-1....

Nothing wrong with this type of jewelry, as long as you know what you are buying. However I think it is not labeled properly. Some erroneously believe they are getting thicker gold as would be used for electroform (hollow jewelry). This resin/silicone jewelry should really be identified as "14k gold plated"; the same labeling for other jewelry that has a gold coating with a different base material.

Trusted Contributor
On 8/17/2014 MissouriMom said:

great suggestion but doubtful it will be done.

I googled info on resin/silicone filled jewelry. One jewelry manufacturer noted 2-8 microns of 14k gold over resin (a human hair is 70 microns) Don't know how many microns of gold QVC uses....but even if they used 10 times that, there still would only be an extremely thin film of gold over the resin.

Interesting read, QVC is mentioned:

http://www.iol.co.za/blogs/wendy-knowler-s-consumer-watch-1.1608/all-that-glitters-isn-t-all-gold-1....

Nothing wrong with this type of jewelry, as long as you know what you are buying. However I think it is not labeled properly. Some erroneously believe they are getting thicker gold as would be used for electroform (hollow jewelry). This resin/silicone jewelry should really be identified as "14k gold plated"; the same labeling for other jewelry that has a gold coating with a different base material.

I agree, the silicone filled should be labeled accordingly.

Do the math.
Frequent Contributor

On qvc they say the gold has resin in the middle because it makes it stronger. I don't believe that because I bought gold in the 70's and just up to the last few years. So how did it stay strong enough to last a life time

Trusted Contributor
Great suggestion! What MissouriMom says makes it sound like in some cases, a gold foil or gold veneer is layered over silicone. If it were layered over silver, we'd refer to it as plating. Gold plated silicone seems more accurate. I have nothing against this form of jewelry, but it should be clearly labeled.
Contributor

I did a bit more research and it appears the Federal Trade Commission regulations that protect consumers do not address marketing of gold over something other than another metal.

Thus at this point in time, gold over resin/silicone can be identified any way that is most advantageous to the seller! Totally opposite of the rules for gold over sterling. Since sterling is a metal, the FTC mandates that the jewelry must be identified as gold plated/vermeil and hall marked as silver.

Hopefully this omission regarding silicone/resin jewelry will change in the future!

http://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rulemaking-regulatory-reform-proceedings/guides-jewelry-preciou...