Trusted Contributor

Jane and handbag presentations

I'm trying for this not to be a Jane bashing thread. During two orYANY presentations (which I had been waiting for), she monopolized the limited presentation time. In both presentations, she was pushing shoes that had also been shown in her show. In the one orYANY presentation, she actually pushed the shoes TWICE to show how they matched the handbag. Then she went on with one of her personal stories. This isn't really acceptable and if I were the vendor, I would not be happy. I barely got a look at the inside of the one handbag. It seemed like a struggle for the professional orYANY representative to describe the bag. Unfortunately, I wanted the handbag, but did not want to order it right after Jane's presentation because she really doesn't deserve salesmanship credit for selling it. If anything, she discouraged me from buying. I've been waiting for orYANY's fall colors for so long that I had to order it. Someone needs to have a talk with her. I don't see other hosts pushing other items so much during someone else's presentation. The presentations turned out to be a lot of silliness and nothing constructive. If someone in QVC's hierarchy wants other items pushed (when they have already had their own presentation to boot) then this is NOT a good idea. In the limited time that is offered to present numerous handbag colors, etc. (before they sell out), this is ridiculous. Then when you add the personal stories which have become mind numbing, there isn't much time left. Someone needs to get control of this situation. I'm sure this doesn't just occur with handbags, but handbags take some time to present. Many of us aren't mindless robots who just want to pick based on the color. To be honest, I barely could see if the inside would function for me, but I had to order as colors were flying. This says more about the quality and uniqueness of the bags than Jane's presentation. Other hosts may occasionally show that something matches something, but they do it in a more "streamlined and quick way". They are not so obstrusive when they do it and then they probably have the sense to not go into a long personal story to shave even more time off the main attraction.

Super Contributor

Re: Jane and handbag presentations

Jane habitually tells personal stories and does dominate the presentations with them....she has done that for years. I don't watch her because of it. HERE IS THE CONTROL.....MissChristy.....JUST TURN THE CHANNEL !

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a "host basher", because I think they have a very difficult job to do -- and I for one could not do it in a million years. So I try to go easy on any comments I make about a host. But once in a while......

I seldom watch an entire show with Jane, especially Shoe Shopping with Jane, where she sits at the table all the time and they show shots of her feet from above. I don't know who the producer of this show is who would think this is how we want to see shoes, so I'm not saying this is all Jane's fault. They spend more time with the camera on her sitting there, talking, talking, talking, and many times about her girls, etc., and they show little of the models with the shoes on! I want to see how the shoes look on a model -- I don't want to watch Jane sitting there talking non-stop. So I just flip over from time to time, or take my chances on a very popular shoe selling out, and then go online after the show is over.

I don't watch the handbag shows as a rule, but the fact that I skip a lot of the shoe shows could affect my buying because I either don't see a shoe, or it's sold out in my color/size after the show.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/19/2014 NanaS said:

Jane habitually tells personal stories and does dominate the presentations with them....she has done that for years. I don't watch her because of it. HERE IS THE CONTROL.....MissChristy.....JUST TURN THE CHANNEL !

I'm sorry, but I wanted to see those presentations and had been waiting to see some new orYANY handbags. It's necessary for me to see the presentation to determine if I would like a handbag. I normally avoid her shows, but not when it's an item that is important to me. I can't just look at the pictures.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/19/2014 kittymomNC said:

I'm not a "host basher", because I think they have a very difficult job to do -- and I for one could not do it in a million years. So I try to go easy on any comments I make about a host. But once in a while......

I seldom watch an entire show with Jane, especially Shoe Shopping with Jane, where she sits at the table all the time and they show shots of her feet from above. I don't know who the producer of this show is who would think this is how we want to see shoes, so I'm not saying this is all Jane's fault. They spend more time with the camera on her sitting there, talking, talking, talking, and many times about her girls, etc., and they show little of the models with the shoes on! I want to see how the shoes look on a model -- I don't want to watch Jane sitting there talking non-stop. So I just flip over from time to time, or take my chances on a very popular shoe selling out, and then go online after the show is over.

I don't watch the handbag shows as a rule, but the fact that I skip a lot of the shoe shows could affect my buying because I either don't see a shoe, or it's sold out in my color/size after the show.

Yes, those shoe shows are done terribly. Plus she wears those long pants and how on earth can you tell how a shoe looks? I like to see a bit of leg on the models when I'm looking at shoes. LOL. I watched that show early on and have dropped it from my list. Leah's shoe shows are better because you can actually see how the shoes look on her. But there is a production problem even with that show in that I don't think the models are shown enough.

Honored Contributor

Handbag shows can be frustrating when they are not shown properly inside and out. I know the hosts would not buy a bag under these conditions. Jane has worked at QVC long enough, and should know better.
Honored Contributor

I watched Prix de Dressage today on Shop HQ. They did an excellent job of going over every detail on every bag. Q could take a lesson from this much smaller network. For the life of me, I've never understood those overhead shots. Jane can't talk in a straight line, I don't care what she's selling. But she must produce, because she's got the shows. Misschristy, you have a very well written post, here's hoping someone in management sees it.

Respected Contributor

I agree that the time allotted to a product should be spent showing us the product. Jane is particularly bad about the personal stories, but they all seem to do it. The Q has lost sales from me because they didn't show the colors or details.
Super Contributor

On 7/22/2014 misschristy said:
On 7/19/2014 NanaS said:

I'm sorry, but I wanted to see those presentations and had been waiting to see some new orYANY handbags. It's necessary for me to see the presentation to determine if I would like a handbag. I normally avoid her shows, but not when it's an item that is important to me. I can't just look at the pictures.

Absolutely. Why should you have to "change the channel?" You tuned in to view a specific product and should be able to do so without the ramblings of a self absorbed salesperson. I'm sure QVC doesn't want potential customers to "change the channel. "
Honored Contributor

I didn't see this program, but apparently Jane's delivery rankled others, as there's another thread about this same thing. She does have a pronounced tendency to go on about things that are largely irrelevant. I don't mind the hosts personalizing their delivery within reason... but it is important to get the product features out there in the process. That should be the primary goal... I don't personally think hosts need to spend a long time on the interior of a bag, but they do need to show it and thoroughly. We need to see the lining and be able to determine whether the depth and organization will meet our needs.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...