Super Contributor

Shopping channels sell personality

Nancy H is on right now. She is perky and full of sparkle. Go to LC and there's Jessica M who seems tired and washed out. Who would you buy something from? Who would you watch for a longer time? I think it's personality that sells products. If some host grates on your nerves you turn that host off no matter what she/he is selling. It all boils down to the personality of the host at that particular moment.

Respected Contributor

Re: Shopping channels sell personality

I rarely watch: I do my shopping online. So I don't care how the hosts do their presentations.

Honored Contributor

Some hosts can be too perky like Leah early Saturday morning, but I think you're right. Personality gets our attention and holds our interest. If the host is enthusiastic, we're more likely to be too.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I admit that I will be more likely to watch a show if the host has the kind of personality that I like -- I don't particularly care for "just the facts, Ma'am". I enjoy being at least a little bit entertained. However, that said, a host's personality doesn't sell me anything. If I see something I really like and that I either need or want, I will buy it...it has nothing at all to do with the host. If I don't care for a host, I may just flip it over from time to time to see what's being presented, and then look it up online. Either way, I only buy what I choose to buy, the host does not convince me to buy it.Smile

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/16/2014 kittymomNC said:

I admit that I will be more likely to watch a show if the host has the kind of personality that I like -- I don't particularly care for "just the facts, Ma'am". I enjoy being at least a little bit entertained. However, that said, a host's personality doesn't sell me anything. If I see something I really like and that I either need or want, I will buy it...it has nothing at all to do with the host. If I don't care for a host, I may just flip it over from time to time to see what's being presented, and then look it up online. Either way, I only buy what I choose to buy, the host does not convince me to buy it.Smile

Same here. It's really about the products, not the hosts.
Honored Contributor

Host personality and the way we react to them are very much a factor in whether we watch and whether we buy... Related, there are a couple of hosts I simply will not watch. Clearly, I'm not buying what they're selling!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I believe that first of all that I have to actually want to purchase the product. Certain hosts can tip me over the edge to go ahead and purchase. I remember watching a TSV one night, and I really wanted the product. I only watched about 15 or 20 minutes of the presentation because the host was driving me crazy. I did not purchase and waited until the next morning to make the purchase with Leah. I understand that QVC picked up my dollars anyway, but the other host was so annoying I did not want them to receive the credit for the sell. (LOL)

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/16/2014 stevieb said:

Host personality and the way we react to them are very much a factor in whether we watch and whether we buy... Related, there are a couple of hosts I simply will not watch. Clearly, I'm not buying what they're selling!

This may very well be true for you, but not for everyone. The host and his/her personality does not at all influence whether I choose to buy something or not.
Honored Contributor

On 7/16/2014 Goldengate8361 said:
On 7/16/2014 stevieb said:

This may very well be true for you, but not for everyone. The host and his/her personality does not at all influence whether I choose to buy something or not.

Then clearly we're different in this regard, and there are probably lots of people like both of us: those who watch and shop regardless, and those who might make a choice to watch or not based on the host, and who are also impacted, both consciously or unconsciously, in their choice to buy based on the host's approach to sales... The net result is host personality does impact viewership and sales among a significant portion of the potential audience.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

If I am not positive I want to purchase an item, no host is going to coax me into buying it or convince me by the force of their "wonderful" personality that I "love." No host is going to get me to buy something that I wouldn't buy if no host was involved at all. OTOH, there are at least a couple of hosts that I will not watch no matter what they are selling, so I will never even see the items they are selling. And I've never felt that any item I've ever seen on a shopping channel (with the exception of Vionic shoes) was a must have.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all