Honored Contributor

HOSTS PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK FOR YOUR PRESENTATIONS!

Since this part of the forum is for suggestions, I'm taking the Q up on their invitation......

One thing that irritates me is on the fashion shows that involves clothing with a large number of colors......most hosts bumble and stumble over the various array of colors, which wastes valuable time and cuts into the presentation time for the garment. I saw 2 presentations one from Carolyn and one from Leah where they were well prepared and zipped through all the colors without any hesitation---BRAVO BRAVO {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} You can see the definite difference when a host does their homework and is properly prepared!!!! If they can do it, so should the other hosts!

Thanks for letting me vent---and yes there are more serious problems in the world...but hey QVC is paying the hosts a nice salary so at least the viewer should expect them to do THEIR JOB for which they are receiving said salary.....{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HOSTS PLEASE DO YOUR HOMEWORK FOR YOUR PRESENTATIONS!

I am actually willing to cut them some slack on this one. Part of the problem is that they will have an item that is popular. Let's take a Denim & Co. item for example, and have 20 darn colors, and none of them have normal names. Instead of saying yellow, they will have a name like (Sunshine brightness), Green (The emerald hills of Ireland). I am of course exaggerating but you get my point.

It just seems as if the cards that they have sometimes don't match up with the order in which the clothes are hanging on the rack.

Honored Contributor

On 7/6/2014 icezeus said:

I am actually willing to cut them some slack on this one. Part of the problem is that they will have an item that is popular. Let's take a Denim & Co. item for example, and have 20 darn colors, and none of them have normal names. Instead of saying yellow, they will have a name like (Sunshine brightness), Green (The emerald hills of Ireland). I am of course exaggerating but you get my point.

It just seems as if the cards that they have sometimes don't match up with the order in which the clothes are hanging on the rack.

And that is what I was talking about and BOTH Carolyn and Leah did not have any trouble and got it right the first time despite the 20 colors.....Wouldnt that be part of preparation to run through the cards and colors on the racks...Funny how the hosts seem to remember all the inside jokes about the models and vendors......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Spurt, I get your point and too find it annoying when they have to keep checking the cards and asking the producer, but I also can't really fully blame the hosts when some of those names are so ridiculous... More to the point, some hosts are scheduled far more heavily than are Carolyn and Leah, which would lead one to think that perhaps (extensive repetition aside...) they have a whole lot more to try to absorb in what is probably a pretty short time. The solution seems easy: unobtrusively mark the darned pieces of clothing with labels indicating the color!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

I wrote a post about this recently. I personally give the hosts no slack on this subject because it isn't rocket science. If a host presents an item with 4 colors or 40 colors, they should prepare for it and not look foolish in front of millions of people watching. I have an important meeting tomorrow and guess what? I am prepared and ready to go. I am sure my boss and client will appreciate my interest in my job Smiley Happy.
Honored Contributor

I agree they should either label the colors or be more prepared. I don't buy D & Co. anymore, but I sure would hate to get the wrong color because the host called it turquoise when it should have been aqua.

Respected Contributor

Put a tag on each item showing the color, it would save a lot of time and fumbling.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Regular Contributor

Before the shows the hosts see everything in product central that will be in the show and write everything down on their cards. They need to write colors down in the order that they are on the rack backstage, and give a copy of it to the production member in charge of bringing the items out. And the items be brought out and placed on the rack in the order that they where written down.

Respected Contributor

I agree that the hosts should always be prepared; it is their job, after all. There are so many easy fixes for the color thing that I don't understand why they don't use one of them. No need to memorize, just put a sticky on the back of the garment with the color name or something like that.

Generally, it seems that, since most of the hosts have been there so long, that they don't worry about the preparation anymore. It is easy to get on auto-pilot after so many years and I really don't think there is anyone coaching and critiquing them on their performance(s). I think they used to have something like that, but it's obvious they no longer do. Constructive feedback on job performance is always helpful.

Kudos to those hosts who do prepare and it is sad that they stand out as exceptions, rather than the rule.

Honored Contributor

I agree with others who suggest that tags identifying color names be put on the garments. In many cases, there are two or three very similar colors. Very easy to get confused.