Frequent Contributor
Good morning QVC management and sales people- I am watching this morning and have lost count as to how many ways that I can look thinner. I learned from Sharon a week or two ago that if my bracelets are a little bigger to slide up my arm, that will make me look leaner. I find this very shallow and I fear that I may become self-conscious!! There is more to life than concerning myself with ways to look thinner. I am sure you can sell the clothes without instilling vanity in us. Please tone it down. Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Re: I am fine with my size :)

Well said, I agree.

Esteemed Contributor

That is well put!!!!! Good for you!!!what a wonderful suggestion.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you both for your support. I truly hope that a rep from QVC reads my concern. This has become the main focus during clothing shows, and honestly I don't think it's healthy. Buttoning a blouse just under the breasts; a tank that is cut closer to the shoulders; shoulder pads to make my shoulders broader, which in turn makes my waist look smaller; stripes that are strategically placed to "draw the eye away"; tanning products to make me look "sculpted and thinner"; makeup foundation that can "take the double chin away"; earrings that curve toward my face will make my face look thinner; and even shoes are cut in such a way that my feet won't look so wide. I am starting to think that something is wrong with me! LOL I have a healthy body inside and out, but I actually place more importance on the inside than the outside and I want to keep it that way Smiley Happy

Contributor

I get a good chuckle out of these posts. I am not a small person and never will be. Most of your life you hear "if you would lose a few pounds" and the old adage "Does my butt look big in this". You know anyone trying to sell you something will tell you how much thinner you look in that particular item and ...... no matter what is said, yes, YOUR BUTT DOES LOOK BIG IN THAT and we know it. Everyone is just looking for approval.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your input retired5. I think we should all embrace who we are...a small person to a large person. Now, if we want to be thinner and healthier, then we should eat a little less and move a little more. We shouldn't be worried about LOOKING thinner. That is a very flawed way of thinking, and just wish QVC would back down on the message they are sending.

Super Contributor

I'm not okay with my size but being in my 50's with spinal conditions and can't exercise, I don't have much choice.

Regular Contributor

I agree 110%. I am so sick of hearing "it covers everything we need to cover," "it covers the bum," "no wiggle no jiggle," "nice and long to cover a multitude of sins," and many other nonsensical statements every time they're showing clothes. Even when they show handbags I hear statements such as "carry your bag in such and such a manner because it will make you look slimmer." News flash for QVC: not every woman in the world is obsessed with looking thinner. If you are beyond a certain size, I don't care what you are wearing, you will NOT look thin. I myself am about a size medium, and sure I could be thinner, but that's fine for me. I happily wear my size 12's and as a matter of fact I like to show my shape. Why would I want to cover my curves and look like a bag lady ala LOGO????? No guy I ever dated or date these days has a problem because I'm not a size 2. My point being, these stupid statements make every woman feel inferior, no matter what size she is. Unless you are obese and damaging your health, stop this nonsense already!!!!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Contributor

Don't forget that you will look thinner with whiter teeth. Lol.
Frequent Contributor

Good morning ladies Smiley Happy

To BonnieBelle: I am sorry that you have physical challenges, and thanks for posting. I am sure you are doing the best you can, and I hope you feel good about that. God bless.

To Fashionista17: Right on Sister!!! I loved the handbag example. How disgusting to have to be shown how to wear one in order to look thinner. These statements plus many more are degrading to women. We don't have to look thinner! We are not objects, but functional members of society. I am all for looking our best, but not being narcissists about it.

To Lucylou59: How could I forget that!? My teeth are not brilliant white, but they are clean and I go to the dentist for regular check-ups. Bet you do too!!! Smiley Happy

To QVC: This is 2014. I know women haven't caught up with men, but let's not backtrack. Also, food for thought (pun intended): you show a lot of food items which is contradictory to looking thin.