Give Gorgeous
100 Members and 13809 Guests Online

Suggestion Box

I HATE Smartpost Shipping!

Started 1377119503.403 in Suggestion Box | Last reply 1377660363.733 by Venezia

My grumble for the day: all these companies that use Smartpost; where the initial carrier is someone like UPS or FedEx and then, when it gets to your home town, it's transferred to the post office to deliver. (In fact, the van drives right past my house to get to the post office. Just throw it out!!!) For QVC, it's called "Best Standard Delivery".

Every single time (like today!) a package gets to my local post office (two miles away) in the early morning. And there it sits for "up to an additional two days". WHY? I know companies are using this because it's cheaper for them. But it is so irritating to wait for a package and KNOW that it's here, but I can't get it.

I called the post office today asking if I could pick it up myself. Short answer: NO. She said they're not supposed to "release" it until "at least the next day". And she would have to "hunt" for it. (I should say, this is a very small rural town where most people know each other; we're not talking Miami, New York, Chicago.)

I had hoped to get this package while I was home today. Now it may come tomorrow while I'm out and it's not something I want sitting around because of the heat. These big companies do this for their own benefit, not the benefit of the customer. It's already been seven days and now I have to wait till at least tomorrow afternoon for the snail mail to deliver it. {#emotions_dlg.angry} {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Page 1 of 1
Venezia1377125829.7072809 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007

No, it's not my biggest "problem", but it's still an irritation and I think these boards are here to allow us to express dissatisfaction with some things. Why not just ship via UPS or FedEx instead of mixing the two and slowing delivery?

I just felt the need to vent for once and it's no different to someone complaining about slow shipping (by whatever method). I should have known better. Posting on these boards is setting yourself up for someone to shoot you down.

I'm sure you lead a charmed life doing wonderful things to help the universe and the downtrodden, since you have time to come on here and criticize others. Thank you. You have a nice day, too.

(Hint: you can skip threads when you only have a negative comment.)

SHOPR1377135570.321821 PostsRegistered 4/17/2013

Venezia, I agree that these services are irritating! Many online companies that I've ordered from for years are now going to this.

FYI--Are you aware that you are able to choose, when ordering online at QVC.com, between a list of delivery options? I always choose UPS Ground, if it doesn't cost more than Best Standard. I mainly order home items, and the Ground is usually the same cost. If the Ground service happens to be more than Best Standard on an item, I will sometimes go with Best Standard, depending on the price difference. If there isn't a huge price difference, I sometimes pay the extra for Ground. I've had much better luck with accurate tracking and faster delivery with UPS Ground.

Last edited on 8/21/2013

Last edited on 8/21/2013

Venezia1377138256.2432809 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007

SHOPR - Thank you for the kind reply. I was just fed up when I posted. Yes, I do know that we can usually choose a different option, but in this case I couldn't (didn't even know it was being shipped this way until it was too late). And some companies don't even give you the choice. I wouldn't mind, if I could at least go to the post office and pick the item up; I think it's silly that I can't. Oh well, I guess it will get here when it gets here!

As for the other poster (KYToby), I checked her other posts and realized immediately that she makes a habit of criticizing everyone else. What a shame she doesn't have anything better to do with her time.

icezeus1377139512.7174570 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010Southern California

I have only noticed this with my purchases with QVC and HSN. No other retailers at least as far as I can tell.

Venezia1377140259.532809 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007

I've had it happen with both QVC and HSN (IMO, HSN is the worst offender), but I have had packages recently sent from other companies using the Smartpost system. Clearly, it's a way for them to save money. If I know ahead of time, I can choose a different delivery method, even if it costs a bit more. It's the not knowing I guess that bothered me. That and the fact that I really wanted the item by today.

What's ironic is that generally with QVC, there is no difference in cost to the customer between "Best Standard Delivery" and regular "UPS Ground". {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Bluegrassb­aby1377222022.5171512 PostsRegistered 7/22/2011

Venezia, I have the same problem here in my small town (two stop lights). I have on occasion sat and waited for the UPS truck at the post office and the minute he backs up to the dock I will ask for my packages before the transfer to the post office and haven't had a problem so far receiving them. Also, if I have a package coming from say Zappos (who overnight free) and QVC or HSN packages that were going to be transferred to the post office, my UPS driver will save the QVC or HSN packages and drop them off with the Zappos box. I guess sometimes small towns have their advantages.Smile Just a suggestion but my UPS driver loves Cheryl's Cookies Wink. You might give it a try!

Okay, almost time for Halloween, I've got the broomstick serviced and ready to go, but where did I leave the cat?

Venezia1377224780.9832809 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007

bluegrassbaby - I have you beat! We only have one stop light and it's only a caution light. Wink

I don't get enough packages delivered to get to know the UPS or FedEx guys. There's only one UPS driver that I've seen a few times, enough to speak with him. And I noticed when I checked the tracking for Smartpost that some times they deliver it to a larger post office in a neighboring small city and that post office transfers it to ours. (I just thought our local post office could be more helpful, but they're not.)

I'll just have to live with it and try to make sure my items aren't sent by this system, as much as I can. I'm not above bribery though...if I ever end up with the same delivery guy, I'll certainly find out if he likes Cheryl's Cookies! (I do.)

This package was coming from Zoya (nail care). It had polishes and polish remover, etc. I found it crammed into my mailbox on top of my other mail sideways instead of upright as the arrows indicated (usually the guy at least brings it to the door). It was all I could do to get the box out and, when I did three hours after it was delivered, the contents were hot! I ended up putting them in the fridge for a few hours to cool them down. Not good with these kinds of liquids. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Thanks, everyone, for just letting me vent. I hope you all have a great weekend.

Katrinka231377299545.833213 PostsRegistered 2/14/2010

Are you aware when you track a package shipped in this manner, it shows it as "delivered". But that means it has only reached the P.O. and not your address!

Amy19001377365902.377772 PostsRegistered 9/18/2011Ohio

I don't like the smartpost thing either. It seems to me it is just adding another set of hands on my package which means more chance of it getting lost. This hasn't actually happened to me, but I always "feel" like they might lose it when transferring it over from fedex to usps.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

I am actually fortunate though, that my local post office usually delivers the package the same day it is transferred to them. It appears on the tracking that they get it in the early morning at the post office and get it on my mail carrier's truck that same morning. At most, it may be coming to me a day later than if the original shipping company just delivered it to me. Based on my post office's quick delivery, I don't know why your post office feels they have to hold it 2 days, OP. That sounds like they may be giving an excuse for bad service.

Amy19001377366052.17772 PostsRegistered 9/18/2011Ohio
On 8/21/2013 SHOPR said:

Venezia, I agree that these services are irritating! Many online companies that I've ordered from for years are now going to this.

FYI--Are you aware that you are able to choose, when ordering online at QVC.com, between a list of delivery options? I always choose UPS Ground, if it doesn't cost more than Best Standard. I mainly order home items, and the Ground is usually the same cost. If the Ground service happens to be more than Best Standard on an item, I will sometimes go with Best Standard, depending on the price difference. If there isn't a huge price difference, I sometimes pay the extra for Ground. I've had much better luck with accurate tracking and faster delivery with UPS Ground.

Last edited on 8/21/2013

I do this all the time, too, if I am only ordering a single item. Unfortunately, I can't do that if I order more than one item and want the reduced shipping.

CalmInTheH­eart1377371320.657313 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

I don't get the big deal. It is what companies have chosen to do to save costs. It doesn't matter if it's the right or wrong thing. You can live with it or you can pay for a premium delivery. It's not rocket science.

Peace

Miss Q1377386198.36364 PostsRegistered 11/26/2006

I do too. I can never track my package.....never!

Venezia1377401734.392809 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007
On 8/24/2013 Amy1900 said:

I don't like the smartpost thing either. It seems to me it is just adding another set of hands on my package which means more chance of it getting lost. This hasn't actually happened to me, but I always "feel" like they might lose it when transferring it over from fedex to usps.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

I am actually fortunate though, that my local post office usually delivers the package the same day it is transferred to them. It appears on the tracking that they get it in the early morning at the post office and get it on my mail carrier's truck that same morning. At most, it may be coming to me a day later than if the original shipping company just delivered it to me. Based on my post office's quick delivery, I don't know why your post office feels they have to hold it 2 days, OP. That sounds like they may be giving an excuse for bad service.

I told my DH about this latest "information" from our post office and he said it was ridiculous. It's not the first time that they've seemed to be making it up as they go along. On a previous occasion, I was sending something back to QVC, paying the return postage myself and I wanted a "Delivery Confirmation". The postmistress said I couldn't have one because I was "returning an item to a company"! Her exact words.

I had never heard such nonsense in my life. I took it to a different post office and had no problem, so I told the lady there what had happened. She even offered to call our local and "explain". I declined the offer but I did report it to the national office. Next thing I knew, I got an email from the local woman saying that I had been asking her to "lie and circumvent the system"!!! Have never sent anything from there again and it wouldn't break my heart, if they close it. I guess there are regulations for the rest of the Post Office and then different ones for my "local"! (Or is that loco?)

viwanton1377440167.47814 PostsRegistered 11/26/2011

I have posted a thread about this before. I have experienced significant delays in delivery because of this practice. I called CS about this once and was told that I live in a 'rural' area. I live in the capitol city of my state!

So....we get to pay excessive shipping prices and have our packages delayed at the same time. I've noticed that Amazon and other online retailers don't do this.

Jazzcat1377619237.4038 PostsRegistered 7/8/2010
I just ordered the TSV with free S/H...as long as you choose Best Standard Delivery. All other items I choose UPS Ground, but this item would have cost an $10 for that! It's just a Clarisonic. I'm sure it's not that heavy. Anyway, just wanted to say that I agree with the OP. I live in a small town and I am only a few blocks from my post office. They say I live too close for mail delivery so I am forced to have a PO box. Of course there's no tracking so no way to know when to pick it up. Doesn't sound like much but I'm also disabled and don't get out very often, so it just makes it difficult when anything is shipped to my post office. I, too, wish they would ship like Amazon does.

jackthebear1377640492.8235906 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 8/27/2013 Jazzcat said: I just ordered the TSV with free S/H...as long as you choose Best Standard Delivery. All other items I choose UPS Ground, but this item would have cost an $10 for that! It's just a Clarisonic. I'm sure it's not that heavy. Anyway, just wanted to say that I agree with the OP. I live in a small town and I am only a few blocks from my post office. They say I live too close for mail delivery so I am forced to have a PO box. Of course there's no tracking so no way to know when to pick it up. Doesn't sound like much but I'm also disabled and don't get out very often, so it just makes it difficult when anything is shipped to my post office. I, too, wish they would ship like Amazon does.
Every company should ship like amazon ( looking at you Q). I got my kids college textbks with 2 day shipping, granted I have prime membership but they are able to fulfill ship and deliver the item in days

Venezia1377660363.7332809 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007

jackthebear - We have Amazon Prime, too. Okay, so we pay for it but, if you add up all the things you have shipped, it works out to be pretty reasonable. No minimum, expedited shipping. I'd pay QVC for the same thing! I know, if I need something from Amazon quickly, I'm going to get it. And even their Marketplace sellers are fast.

We're paying QVC a lot more than that just for slower shipping. If you think that a small beauty/cosmetic item can cost you at least $5 S&H, it's crazy. (And in my state we get taxed on S&H; if they'd just call it "shipping" it wouldn't be, but because "handling" adds a "service" to it, it's taxed.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is not benefiting the customer in any way. And why should we have to pay an extra $10 (or often more) to get our orders faster? I did this once: I paid extra for QVC's supposed 2-day shipping. It took a week to get to me. When I contacted them, CS said the "2-day" only applied once it had left their warehouse. What??? And it took them 4 days to "process" the order. I got my money refunded.

Page 1 of 1