Honored Contributor

Week Nine of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Where does the time go? Week nine already.

We start out this week with the Saints at the Panthers. Those of us without the NFL Network will be disappointed to learn that the Thursday night games are now only on the NFL Network. CBS only had them for the first eight weeks. I've got to think the Saints will build on last week's win and start to take control of the NFC South. Somebody's got to win the South and I'm pretty sure it won't be Tampa.

Jacksonville goes to Cincinnati. I'll take the Bengals. Jacksonville is starting to rally a bit, but they've got a long ways to go.

Tampa Bay goes to Cleveland. I'll take Cleveland here.

Arizona goes to Dallas. The Cowboys are trying to keep Romo's status under wraps until game time, but they did the same thing when he was hurt last year and only admitted he was out after it was released that he'd had surgery. I just don't see Romo playing this week. The Cards are great at blitzing and love to blitz while the Cowboys were horrible at picking up the blitz last week. I'm taking the Cards in this one. The Cowboys need to saddle up DeMarco Murray this week and ride him to death behind that big offensive line, but I just don't think this match-up favors the Cowboys.

The Eagles go to the Texans. The Eagles have seven former Texans on the roster who are anxious to show the Texans they made a mistake in letting them go. We're slowly getting healthier on the offensive line and it looks like Jason Kelce our starting center will be back this week. Todd Herremanns tore his bicep last week but seems intent on playing this week anyway. We'll have to see how well he's able to play. Darren Sproles will be back. JJ Watt is a nightmare, but I think the Eagles can do enough to pull out the win. I'm taking the Eagles.

The Jets got to KC. I've got to take KC here. Vick is getting his first start, but he hasn't looked good. The Jets are a mess. I've got to take KC.

San Diego plays Miami. This is a tough game for me to pick. West coast teams coming east tend to have issues. Miami's not playing badly, but they're not a good team. I'll take Miami, but I'm not confident in that pick.

Washington goes to Minnesota. This is one of those games where I'd love to know who the QB for Washington would be before I had to pick. I like Colt McCoy over RGIII right now, but I think we might see RGIII back this week. I'll take Minnesota at home.

Saint Louis goes to San Francisco. San Francisco's a big favorite and I suspect they'll win pretty easily. The Niners reportedly have lots of locker room issues now, but they're still the better team. I'll take San Francisco.

Denver goes to New England in what should be the game of the week. Manning versus Brady. I'm taking Manning this week. I think the Broncos are a better team right now. Brady's not as well equipped with weapons as Manning and those extra weapons gives Manning an edge in this game. I'll take Denver.

Oakland goes to Seattle. This has to be a massacre for Seattle. If they lose this game, forget it. Seattle should win big and get a bit of their strut back. I'll take Seattle. This is as close to a gimme game as you'll see in the NFL. Seattle at home against the Raiders? This should be a blowout.

Baltimore goes to Pittsburgh for the Sunday night game. This should be a good game. I was writing Pittsburgh off a few weeks ago, but they've pulled things together the last few weeks. They've surprised me. This is a tossup game to me so I'll go with the home team and take the Steelers. (There's something weird about kicking in that stadium that somehow ends up with a missed field goal for the opposing team at a crucial point.)

And finally we have the Colts at the Giants. The Giants have managed to stay on the cusp of the playoff hunt in the NFC East and could win their way back up to the top, but their immediate schedule (Colts, at Seahawks, Niners, Cowboys) is murderous. If they can come out of that group of four games with three wins they'd be right back in this thing, but I'm not sure they'll win one of those games. I'm taking the Colts.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Regular Contributor

Re: Week Nine of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Your picks are good except I'lll take New England. GO PATS!
Honored Contributor

And it's now been confirmed that RGIII will be the quarterback of the Redskins this week, so I'm sticking with the Vikings winning. I think Colt McCoy is the best option for the Skins now, but they want RGIII as their starter, so more power to them. We'll see what happens.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Hey GARDENMAN--

I can't believe that Washington is starting Robert and not Colt!!!! I thought they would wait until after the BYE week.....I hope they are not making a mistake....

Here's who I'm picking

Saints

Bengals

Browns

Cards

Eagles

Chiefs

Chargers

Washington

49ers

Broncos

Seahawks

Steelers

Colts, Colts, Colts.....{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

What a week!!!!---Washington BEAT the Cowboys. I was surprised how well the Washington defense played, and Breeland did a great job on Dez......{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}. Colt's mobility really helped the offense too.....And then my Spurs took care of the Mavs---(and the Spurs added another championship banner and got their rings too)......GREAT WEEK! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Regular Contributor

My husband grew up in Rockville, MD. He is a Redskin fanatic. His 'Skins beat the Cowboys and that's as good as a Super Bowl win!!
Esteemed Contributor

I have no idea who will win: Denver or New England. I probably shouldn't pick against Peyton Manning, but the game is in Foxboro. Manning hasn't had much luck there. Now that he is a Bronco, it might be different, and the Broncos have a good defense. Denver is a better team, but New England can't be counted out. I might go with New England in my football picks just because of home field advantage. No matter who I choose, I'll probably be wrong.

I don't think that the Colts will be like last week. I expect them to rebound against the Giants. Vontae Davis is questionable, since his knee injury is day to day. It will be a big loss if he doesn't play. Not sure if Reggie Wayne will play. He hurt his elbow in the last game. He hopes to play Monday, but won't really know until close to game time.

I would like to see RG111 have a good game. That would quiet the critics. RG111 hasn't been the player they expected, but Washington probably would never admit they made a mistake.

I usually check out the Colts' opponents message boards, just to get an idea of what fans are saying. Pittsburgh Steelers' fans were worried about the Colts, but now they're happy and praising Ben Roethlisberger. He did have an amazing game. Also, the Ravens and Steelers are one of the most heated rivalries in the NFL. No love lost there.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

A cynical DC fan? Yes, I am.

The controversy will cease when Bob3G gets injured in practice.

How many QB/coach changes will we have to endure? And then, blame everything on the "offensive" (well, yes at times it IS offensive) line and the other side of the ball, when there's no clear direction behind the snap. Hasn't been for decades. The Redskins aren't only "has beens", they are quickly becoming "hasn't beens . . ." And why is everything out of the shotgun?

Go Peyton! Rumors were swirling here a couple years ago - we could have had him. The irony? He was replaced in Indy by the other guy we could have had.

Now we have an uphill climb for draft picks, that is, unless we keep losing. I'll bet even the bookies don't know how to leverage this team.

I love sports analysis! Happy day to all of you with a winning fantasy team and a good home team. Even "HTTR" is dying a slow death here.

"We're only one owner away from a good team".

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

On 10/29/2014 vandyfan said: My husband grew up in Rockville, MD. He is a Redskin fanatic. His 'Skins beat the Cowboys and that's as good as a Super Bowl win!!

Yep---that was Washington's "Super Bowl" and I enjoyed it {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

On 10/30/2014 Sweetbay magnolia said:

A cynical DC fan? Yes, I am.

The controversy will cease when Bob3G gets injured in practice.

How many QB/coach changes will we have to endure? And then, blame everything on the "offensive" (well, yes at times it IS offensive) line and the other side of the ball, when there's no clear direction behind the snap. Hasn't been for decades. The Redskins aren't only "has beens", they are quickly becoming "hasn't beens . . ." And why is everything out of the shotgun?

Go Peyton! Rumors were swirling here a couple years ago - we could have had him. The irony? He was replaced in Indy by the other guy we could have had.

Now we have an uphill climb for draft picks, that is, unless we keep losing. I'll bet even the bookies don't know how to leverage this team.

I love sports analysis! Happy day to all of you with a winning fantasy team and a good home team. Even "HTTR" is dying a slow death here.

"We're only one owner away from a good team".

Hi Sweetbay Magnolia---our team hasn't been relevant since 1992.....sad as that is.

But we have to celebrate the SMALL (and I do mean SMALL) victories. As I think I mentioned before, even though I live in Texas, I'm a long time Redskin fan ....and no I never lived in the VA/DC area....I chose Washington out all the NFL teams and stick by them despite their dreadful decades....

Now unfortunately, I have to put up with the local sportscasters on TV, radio, and media who love the Cowboys. Now even they gave kudos to Washington's defensive blitz schemes which the Cowboys, and in particular, Romo, could not adjust too, and even their much herald running back, Murray, couldn't successfully block Washington's D along with the other member's of the Cowboys highly praised offensive line! And the pressure really got to Romo--and he doesn't handle pressure well...ask any Cowboy fan. So I don't think it was Romo's injury was the reason for Washington's victory.....In fact, I think that the Cowboy's backup QB, Weeden, moved the team much better than Romo....and I for one was happy to see Romo back since flashback of Clint Longley came to mind.....{#emotions_dlg.scared} I thought Colt struggled early, but settled down and moved the team down field too. The UNSpecial Teams didn't mess up this game, and the Cowboys didn't exploit our LOUSY secondary. And Breeland did a great job on Dez Bryant....And we exploited the Cowboy's weak D which many so called "experts" had been praising! So there were some POSITIVES! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Why one guy in the national media said we looked like a FUNCTIONAL team! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Oh yes...let's talk offensive line, and the lack thereof is why so much from the shotgun....When I heard that Jay Gruden brought out films of the Washington/Cowboy rivalry to show the team, I thought--- did they look at the winning years and see what transpired to make us successful back in the 80's...if they did they would see that one main reason was THE HOGS and after that bringing in Jim Lachey...yep a good O line would help a lot of things (as well as a good D line).....we drafted Moses and hopefully he will develop into a decent RT and we need to use the draft to get more young linemen too....and we need to fix our pitiful secondary too....oh well, it never ends does it....

Dan Snyder playing Fantasy Football Owner and his equally INCOMPETENT sidekick Vinny Cerrato destroyed this once proud franchise.....and year after year we seem to be in the rebuilding mold, couple years of bad drafts and bad free agent moves and what we gave up for Robert, and the cap penalty really hurt. At least we seemed to have found a keeper in Breeland and we need more successful drafts to turn this thing around.....

Another thing to be thankful for AT LEAST WE DON'T HAVE JERRY JONES....didn't ya love how "coach"/"GM" came down from the owner's box to the sidelines to give the coaches some "advice".....gotta love that Jerrah may he own and meddle for many years to come! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

HTTR!