Honored Contributor

Week Seven of the NFL Regular Season!!!

And the Eagles have a bye this week giving me a nice relaxing week of football watching. There are some interesting games this week.

We'll start the picks with the Thursday night game this week and like all season, this one has the feel of a blowout. (Who picked these games for Thursday nights anyway?) The Jets go to the Patriots. I've got to pick the Patriots here and it's likely to be pretty one-sided. The Jets are a mess.

Atlanta goes to Baltimore. I'm still not sure how good this Atlanta team is. They've got players, but they're not playing well on a consistent basis. I think Atlanta could beat anyone on any given Sunday, but they just don't put together good games most of the time. I'll pick Baltimore in this game.

Minnesota goes to Buffalo. I'll give the edge to Buffalo here. I'm not thrilled with some of the moves they've made there. (Benching Manuel for Orton) but they've been playing pretty good football.

Miami goes to Chicago. Chicago really needs this win to stay within a game of Green Bay and Detroit while Miami will likely find themselves three wins behind the Patriots by the time this game starts and essentially out of it. I'll give this one to Chicago.

New Orleans goes to Detroit. Detroit's favored in this game, but my gut says Drew Brees finally snaps the Saints out of the funk they're in and they get a desperately needed win. I'm picking the Saints. I really think the Saints messed up the team chemistry by losing Malcolm Jenkins and Darren Sproles, but they've got to rally around what they've got and start playing better football. I think it starts this week.

Carolina goes to Green Bay in one of the more interesting early Sunday games. Both teams are currently in (or tied for) first place. I trust Aaron Rodgers more than Cam Newton, so I'm picking the Packers here, but an upset (the Pack is favored by a TD) wouldn't shock me.

Cincinnati goes to Indianapolis in another interesting early match-up between two first place teams. Indy's a slight favorite and given the loss of AJ Green for the Bengals I think the Colts will likely pull out the win. It should be a fun game to watch though.

Cleveland goes to Jacksonville in a game that will most likely not be fun to watch. I'll take the Browns.

Seattle goes to Saint Louis. This could be an interesting game. Seattle's confidence got a little rattled last week. How do they respond? They should crush the Rams, but the Seahawks don't generally play well on the road and there was some finger-pointing going on after that Cowboy game. I've got to take the Seahawks in this game, but if they don't win, that team could be in big trouble.

Tennessee goes to Washington. This probably won't be a pretty game. I'll pick the Redskins, but there's been open speculation in Washington this week that Cousins should be benched for Colt McCoy. A bad half for Cousins could see yet another QB change in DC. RGIII is now back throwing the ball in practice, but he's still a ways away from playing. The big deal for the Redskins the rest of this season is to sort out their mess at QB. They're likely to have a top five to top ten pick in the draft and they'll need to know if they've got a viable QB before the draft. Cousins hasn't been impressive. RGIII is fragile. Colt McCoy probably isn't the answer. They've got to get that figured out.

Kansas City goes to San Diego. I figure the Chargers will win this one. Andy's done a good job holding the Chiefs together this year after losing all of the guys who left in the off season, but the Chiefs just aren't as good as the Chargers now. The Chiefs need a couple of drafts and good periods of free agency to be competitive in the AFC West.

The Giants go to Dallas in the later game Sunday. I'm betting the Giants won't be doing a lot of trash talking this week and will likely behave themselves on the Cowboy star on the field. Their childish behavior last week got them spanked badly by the Eagles and Coughlin was not happy. The Giants aren't a bad team but they never adapted to what the Eagles were doing last week. They thought they could sniff out the Eagle's plays from formations and tendencies, but Chip Kelly varied those and the Giants never adapted. I'm pretty sure that staff will be far more flexible this week and put up a good fight. If the Cowboys try to do what the Eagles did (tight man to man with a single deep safety and maximum pass rush pressure) then the Giants will likely counter with max protect and send just two receivers out deep and force the safety to commit and then throw away from him. They could hit a couple of home runs doing that. I just don't see them beating the Cowboys though. I'm picking the Cowboys, but an upset in NFC East games is never out of the question. If the Cowboys come in over confident after last week's win in Seattle, and the Giants come in a tad upset over being shut out last week, we could easily see a big upset here.

Arizona goes to Oakland. Oakland's been getting closer to winning a game, but I don't think they'll get a win against Arizona.

San Francisco goes to Denver in the Sunday night game. I think Denver will spank the Niners in this one. The Niners just don't scare me now.

And finally, Houston plays Pittsburgh on Monday night. This is a pretty big game for two mediocre teams. One will be 4-3 and the other will be 3-4. I suspect JJ Watt will come up big in this game and Houston will win. The Steelers are favored, but they're looking pretty old these days.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Week Seven of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Although I am truly hoping for a win, I may have to agree Gardenman. If Megatron and Reggie are both in and our defense plays up to all of the touting we have been receiving lately, we just may pull off a win, IF it does NOT come down to our kicker!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Week 7 already....time sure flies....

I missed posting the Thursday game...already started so it won't count but I would've picked the PATS

Falcons/Ravens---Ok Sunshine another week that I would've if I could've picked your ravens, but due to the ban, I'll pick the FALCONS, but on the inside I'm screaming RAVENS. Wink

Vikings/Buffalo-I'm going with the BILLS....

Dolphins/Bears---I am not enamored with Cutler, but his critics made him perform well last week.....I just don't trust the Dolphins, going with Da Bears--Tim Duncan's favorite NFL team....{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Saints/Lions---Not sure if Megatron is playing this week, and the Saints D is horrible....but I trust in Drew Brees, I can't believe some so called "experts" chose Lions as having the best defense...but I'm still going .....SAINTS!

Panthers/Pack---Even though the Panthers ended up tying the Bengals, I am going with Aaron Rodgers and the Cheeseheads....PACK!

Bengals/Colts-interesting game....we will see whether the Bengals can rebound from a tie game and some sloppy mistakes. Colts have been playing well, and in Andrew I trust---COLTS.

Browns/Jags---I hope that winning streak doesn't go to the Brown's players heads.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}...they have been playing well....and Hoyer is out to prove the team doesn't need Johnny Manziel....the Jags are vying for the top draft spot....going with the BROWNS!

Seahawks/Rams-in the past the Rams have even beaten the Seahawks, but they don't have a good starting QB. The Seahawks want to get back on the winning track and with the 49ers and Cards ahead of them in their division they need to win...SEAHAWKS!

Titans/Redskins---I am concerned about the Redskins defense and in particular their secondary....also Cousin's interceptions, and part of the problem is our O line failing to give him protection. I really wish they would go back to more of a running game too. Still, I'm picking the REDSKINS to finally get a win this week...PLEASE! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Chiefs/Chargers--Chiefs have been playing well despite their injuries, and Chargers eeked out a win over the Raiders....but I gotta go with Philip Rivers who is having a great year, and their defense is playing pretty good too....CHARGERS!

Giants/Dallas---Giants were PATHETIC against the Eagles....they couldnt run, they couldnt pass, and their defense didn't stop anyone either.....The Cowboys do have a couple of injuries and concern over Romo (doesn't practice) and Murray (fear of wearing him out)...But I hate to even type this going with the COWBOYS! {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

Cards/Raiders---Raiders played very fiesty under their new coach...but they still lost. Arians is a candidate for Coach Of The Year....their team is playing well especially Larry Fitzgerald....CARDS!

49ers/Broncos-should be a good game...have the 49ers put their problems behind them....is their a mutiny against their coach....I'm going with Peyton Manning and the Broncos defense...BRONCOS!

Texans/Steelers---I think the Texans should put in JJ Watt at QB---he could be the modern version of Sammy Baugh.....{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Steelers aren't playing all that well. The Texan's offense is a question mark, but going with JJ and the TEXANS! ...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure I believe it, but there are reports that the Seahawks are trading Percy Harvin to the Jets for a conditional pick.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On 10/17/2014 gardenman said: I'm not sure I believe it, but there are reports that the Seahawks are trading Percy Harvin to the Jets for a conditional pick.

WOW its on ESPN right now ...... under breaking news on their crawl....Harvin is their best receiver ......unless he's one of those complainers and whiners and they wanted to get rid of him before he infects the team....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

That Harvin trade was certainly a surprise. Details are emerging. The Jets are giving up a conditional second to fourth round pick for Harvin based on his performance with the Jets. His guaranteed money is all up now, so if the Jets want to they can cut him free for nothing after the season. We're hearing lots of whispers about issues with Harvin including punching one of the offensive linemen during the Super Bowl prep last year, and nearly coming to blows with Russell Wilson this year. He's apparently a bit volatile and a bad locker room presence. (Reports indicate he threw weights at a former head coach while with the Vikings.)

The general consensus of other football experts is that the Jets got robbed. The most they should have given up was a fifth round pick and even that should have been conditional. Fifth round picks seem to be the gold standard for veteran players (Darren Sproles) these days and for the Jets to pony up as much as a second round pick is surprising.

Harvin's injury history would have made me leery of offering anything more than a fifth round pick. I thought the Seahawks were crazy to give up a first, third and seventh round picks to get him a couple of years ago. At least they're getting some value back for him.

I wonder if there were any other competitors for Harvin's services? Did the Jets win a bidding war, or were they snookered? There are a lot of teams that could use a player with Harvin's skill set. The fact that he was available as a one year rental if he flamed out made getting him a pretty safe move as long as you didn't have to give up too much. Is a second to fourth round pick too much? It would have been to me, but maybe he'll fix his issues and become a star for the Jets.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On 10/17/2014 gardenman said:

That Harvin trade was certainly a surprise. Details are emerging. The Jets are giving up a conditional second to fourth round pick for Harvin based on his performance with the Jets. His guaranteed money is all up now, so if the Jets want to they can cut him free for nothing after the season. We're hearing lots of whispers about issues with Harvin including punching one of the offensive linemen during the Super Bowl prep last year, and nearly coming to blows with Russell Wilson this year. He's apparently a bit volatile and a bad locker room presence. (Reports indicate he threw weights at a former head coach while with the Vikings.)

The general consensus of other football experts is that the Jets got robbed. The most they should have given up was a fifth round pick and even that should have been conditional. Fifth round picks seem to be the gold standard for veteran players (Darren Sproles) these days and for the Jets to pony up as much as a second round pick is surprising.

Harvin's injury history would have made me leery of offering anything more than a fifth round pick. I thought the Seahawks were crazy to give up a first, third and seventh round picks to get him a couple of years ago. At least they're getting some value back for him.

I wonder if there were any other competitors for Harvin's services? Did the Jets win a bidding war, or were they snookered? There are a lot of teams that could use a player with Harvin's skill set. The fact that he was available as a one year rental if he flamed out made getting him a pretty safe move as long as you didn't have to give up too much. Is a second to fourth round pick too much? It would have been to me, but maybe he'll fix his issues and become a star for the Jets.

Gardenman, you make some good points....and isn't he the one that always had the migraines too.

If he isn't a good team mate especially if he's not getting along with Russell Wilson and the linemen...I think I'd get rid of him too...!

That's a good question ---- I wonder if there was a bidding war with other teams or if the Jets are just desperate to get talent to help Geno....they had all that money under the cap that they weren't willing to spend in free agency nor were they willing to add offensive talent in the draft either...

Well DeSean has been good as gold for us.....so far at least....and thats with a losing season too....

Valued Contributor

Hmmmm, both gardenman and Spurt picking the Bills. Not sure if this is good or bad! Hopefully we will get a win this week.

Nobody here in WNY is thrilled that the Jets have picked up Percy Harvin. We play them next week... grreeeaaattttt.

Good luck everyone, and gardenman, enjoy your no-stress weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

i didn't see this trade coming. Apparently, the Seahawks have been thinking of trading Harvin for several weeks. Time will tell whether this was a mistake. I also didn't know about Harvin's temperament and that he was causing problems in the locker room.

The Jets probably needed more talent. They came close to beating New England, and this was before getting Harvin. I'll be watching this team to see how it affects them.

I have no idea what to expect from Cincinnati. Last season they routed the Colts, scoring over 40 points. That was in Cincinnati' this week they play in Indy. The Bengals have talent, but after the last game with Carolina, I don't know which part will show up. A.J. Green is out, so that might be a factor. It should be a good game.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

And it's game day!!! My early games today are Carolina at Green Bay and Cincinnati at Indy. The later game is the Giants at the Cowboys. And then later tonight we have San Francisco at Denver. All in all a pretty good day of football.

I'll be watching the Cowboys/Giants game the most intently since they're two NFC East rivals. This has the making of a classic trap game for the Cowboys. They're coming off a big win against a very tough opponent (Seattle) on the road. They're home and favored by a good margin against a team that just got blown out last week and lost their best offensive player in Victor Cruz. The Giants are bad at stopping what the Cowboys are good at doing (the run game.) This is one of those games where it would be easy for the Cowboy players to subconsciously take their foot off the gas this week at practice and assume they'll win the game and those kind of games have a nasty habit of slapping you down.

The Giants will be playing this game like it's the Super Bowl. There's been little to no trash talking this week and Tom Coughlin will have them highly motivated to play. The Giants really can't afford another NFC East loss and stay competitive, so this is pretty much a playoff game to them. Win and they can write off last week as just a bad week. Lose and their playoff dreams are pretty much gone.

So, you have one team that may come coasting in, and one team that's likely to come in breathing fire. The Cowboys are the more talented team and should win, but fear is a powerful motivator and I'm betting Tom Coughlin has used fear this week to inspire his players. The Giants are likely to pull out all of the stops and play as if their very lives depended on winning this game. It should be a fun game to watch. It may be the best game of the week.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!