Respected Contributor

Bike buying - Need suggestions please

I'm interested in purchasing my 38 year old DD a bike to ride around in a rural area, mostly on highways. She's of average size (thanks to a 140 pound weight loss recently) and says she's just a bit bored with walking all the time. I know nothing about bikes...Can you suggest a brand/style/type of tire....just anything that can help ?? Thanks kindly.

Respected Contributor

Re: Bike buying - Need suggestions please

I have always owned Diamond Backs - you can find them local at some sporting stores. I think you cannot go wrong with a Diamond Back Smiley Happy

http://www.diamondback.com/

Respected Contributor

I have a cream colored Electra Townie seven speed. What I like is that it has a bigger seat, upright with bigger tires and your feet reach the ground when you are stopped and seated. I won't lie, it is not a bargain bike but it is a great bike.
Respected Contributor

Sandgirl: Thank you for your suggestions - but it looks like there are no Diamond Back dealerships in the NC area....

Super Contributor

When my sister recently bought a bike, we were astonished to discover that most bikes don't have pedal brakes....they only have handles brakes. I want just a regular old fashioned bike..I'm not interested in riding miles and miles or racing. Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Honored Contributor

On 9/18/2014 gailchap said:

When my sister recently bought a bike, we were astonished to discover that most bikes don't have pedal brakes....they only have handles brakes. I want just a regular old fashioned bike..I'm not interested in riding miles and miles or racing. Gail

If you want pedal brakes, you need to look into Cruiser models. They usually only have pedal brakes and 1-3 speeds.

Honored Contributor

Buying a bike is a very personal experience. It has to fit her frame, be comfortable for her, and feel right or she won't ride it. Buying a bike for someone else is like buying shoes or clothing for someone else - risky.

I would recommend talking to her about it and then giving her a spending limit you're willing to work with and let her go pick out a bike that works for her. It's harder if she's rural, but she should try to find a store that will let her do a road test instead of buying one online.

I hate the idea of anyone riding on a highway, but if she's going to be riding it on highways, you also need to factor in some safety gear, including a helmet, lights, and reflective outerwear or accessories. (You might also want to verify that riding on the highway is legal in her state. The laws vary.)

Respected Contributor

All great point, friends ! Thanks - and keep 'em coming !

Honored Contributor

Oh, if she really can't find one she likes in person, she should still try some in whatever stores she can and get measurements for the seat, the wheels, the handlebars and anything else she can of any bikes she finds comfortable. She can use those measurements to buy online, if she needs to. And make sure anywhere you buy, brick and mortar or online has a good return policy, especially if she can't road test. What seemed comfortable for 2 minutes in a store may not be after 10 minutes.

Respected Contributor

I suggest taking her to a bike shop. They are experienced at fitting people to the right sized bike and recommending which bike and tire work best for the surface she is riding on. And don't forget a bike helmet!