Honored Contributor

Denver Bronco's John Elway's SON, Jack: Domestic Violence Counseling

With the influx of domestic issues within the football world, Denver Bronco's John Elway's son, Jack, was arrested on a domestic issue months ago. All domestic issues stem from a life of same issues..."my father was an abuser", "my mother was a mean alcoholic", "I was abuse as a child", so it surprised me when John Elway's son has that behavior.

Acorn doesn't fall from the tree (raised eyebrow)?

DENVER — John “Jack” Elway III, the son of Broncos general manager John Elway, reached a plea deal and has been sentenced to domestic violence counseling and probation after an altercation with his girlfriend in July, Colorado court records show.

According to an affidavit, Jack Elway allegedly pulled the woman out of his car by her hair near the intersection of West Colfax Avenue and North Lipan Street after getting into an argument with her.

The affidavit added that some of the woman’s hair was pulled out and after she attempted to stand up, Elway shoved her back to the ground.

Elway, a former quarterback at Cherry Creek High School and Arizona State University, was charged with disturbing the peace but reached the deal in which he pleaded guilty to disturbing the peace in exchange for an assault charge being dropped.

'Jack' Elway: Domestic Violence Counseling

Honored Contributor

Re: Denver Bronco's John Elway's SON, Jack: Domestic Violence Counseling

Really "all domestic issues"? That's quite a broad stroke. Just as some people who grow up in abusive situations will choose not to be abusers not everyone who is an abuser learned it at home from their parents.

I think this quote applies quite well

The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the w*ckedness of the w*cked will be charged against them.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I stand corrected. I let recent media color my opinion of abusers...though there is a strong probability abuse is a Generalizational issue. Though, how does a child get exposed to that behavior if not in close/extended family.

Honored Contributor

There are some neurological issues that make people more likely to lash out physically. Speaking generally and hypothetically only as I don't know him or his medical history. Maybe he's just a jerk? Or maybe it is learned behavior. The thing is we really have no way of knowing and unless there was some evidence that he came from an abusive family I think it's unfair to assume it was learned behavior.

LOL on a side note I'm sure my husband would be appalled I'm defending anyone remotely related to the Broncos team.

Respected Contributor

Making generalizations is not reasonable. Were you trying to make some kind of connection with the current issues facing the NFL? If so, Jack Elway is not in the NFL.

Honored Contributor

Very interesting. True, Jack isn't in the NFL. But his father was and is. Do you think the media will pile on - noting anyone and everyone connected somehow to professional football that's been accused of abuse?

Honored Contributor

The media has noted it....sports outlets are mentioning it, not as a full story, but just a news bite. In June when it happened, nothing was mentioned...today? It's a story.

Respected Contributor

On 9/18/2014 ValuSkr said:

Very interesting. True, Jack isn't in the NFL. But his father was and is. Do you think the media will pile on - noting anyone and everyone connected somehow to professional football that's been accused of abuse?

No, I don't think so. The news media already plenty of sensational stories to wallow in now without looking for more. Isn't it enough that Jack Elway's story is in all the local news?

My take on it is that he's yet another spoiled celebrity child who needs a reality check.

Keep in mind that if he was Jack Smith, the son of an ordinary Denver citizen, the confrontation with the girlfriend & subsequent arrest would have gone pretty much ignored by the local news media. It only made the news because he's the son of a local celebrity.

Honored Contributor

Agreed the only reason this is being discussed is because of who his father is. As if that is somehow relevant to the sons actions. I'm sure we can all relate to relatives that have done things we don't agree with, I know I sure wouldn't want to be blamed for things someone I happen to be related to has done.

Honored Contributor

On 9/18/2014 sidsmom said:

The media has noted it....sports outlets are mentioning it, not as a full story, but just a news bite. In June when it happened, nothing was mentioned...today? It's a story.

Which should be a big old sign right there.