Super Contributor

Why Video Scares Me or Why Commissioner Goodell Should Resign

Commissioner Goodell needs to resign. Period. That is my opinion as a lifelong football fan.

The original police report of the Rice assault contained the details. The NFL knew all the details. Then there is a video and suddenly it has changed. I do not believe that for a minute. The NFL is culpable, maybe even more than Rice. He committed the crime but the NFL was fine in sweeping it under the rug until they got caught.

What happens when a crime is not caught on video? Is it any less heinous?

The police report described the incident with Rice. Why wasn't that enough? What happens when it isn't caught on video? I think there is the chance that those crimes will suffer because of it. I could be wrong. I hope I am not.

I remember reading the indictment for the heinous monster michael vick. I was sickened by it. I cannot imagine seeing it as the law enforcement officials did. The commissioner let him off lightly. He was sponsored again, by Nike too. Would video have changed it? Will we be less outraged by a crime without video?

Domestic violence in the NFL is nothing new. What happens to the victims that are not on video? Is their suffering any less? Why did we need video to galvanize a reaction?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why Video Scares Me or Why Commissioner Goodell Should Resign

I'm with Keith Olbermann on this...I saw him yesterday on ESPN -

Goodell needs to be FIRED!!!!

I drive almost every day on Goodell Street in downtown Buffalo - it's named after his ancestors...my blood boils every time now!!!!!

Super Contributor

Agreed but NFL is the Teflon, league nothing sticks, so they'd save face and let him resign. Goodell has too much power anyway.

I could be wrong, but I do not think there is an owner with the intestinal fortitude to fire him.

Lucky you, Buffalo...Loved the Sabres. What the former ownership did to that team was awful.

Super Contributor

I do not think the NFL realizes the women in America are watching this situation closely. Women make up HALF of the football audience. If we decide football is not so great for our families, the NFL is going to lose a huge chunk of their audience and their $$$.

Honored Contributor

Why do people care so much about this? Obviously his then girlfriend, now wife didn't care too much about it. If it was alright with her, it's alright with me. The NFL isn't a government agency, we don't elect foot ball players. Would be people be so incensed if the same thing happened in the same way except the abuser was plumber? Would you want the president of the PRIVATE company he works for fired? Would you want the plumber fired? I just don't get it.

Honored Contributor

HERE"S AN IDEA -- why don't we , just this once , let the people who are investigating do their job before we jump to a bunch of unfounded conclusions?

I would sure hate to have to have the people on this forum as my jury - facts mean nothing to the people here. Everything is decided by emotions.

Honored Contributor

On 9/12/2014 chrystaltree said:

Why do people care so much about this? Obviously his then girlfriend, now wife didn't care too much about it. If it was alright with her, it's alright with me. The NFL isn't a government agency, we don't elect foot ball players. Would be people be so incensed if the same thing happened in the same way except the abuser was plumber? Would you want the president of the PRIVATE company he works for fired? Would you want the plumber fired? I just don't get it.

I agree - she chose to marry him anyway, so apparently, she didn't think it was any big deal.

Respected Contributor

Anyone surprised how many women wore Rice shirts at last night's game? Not all women support Goodell.
Respected Contributor

On 9/12/2014 terrier3 said:

I'm with Keith Olbermann on this...I saw him yesterday on ESPN -

Goodell needs to be FIRED!!!!

I drive almost every day on Goodell Street in downtown Buffalo - it's named after his ancestors...my blood boils every time now!!!!!

Why get so fired up? How does it affect you personally?
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/12/2014 happy housewife said:
On 9/12/2014 chrystaltree said:

I agree - she chose to marry him anyway, so apparently, she didn't think it was any big deal.

Love is BLIND. http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/10/us/ray-rice-janay-palmer-7-things/