Honored Contributor

Week One of the NFL Regular Season!!!

And the regular season kicks off! Each week I'll give my takes on the various games that week and make my picks on who will win each game. On rare occasions I may even get a pick right! So let's get started.

The first game this week/season is Green Bay at Seattle. Green Bay's a good team, but you almost never go wrong picking Seattle at home. I'll take Seattle in this game. That home field advantage of theirs is a huge benefit to them. Even when they were a bad team it was hard to beat them in Seattle. Now that they're good, the home field advantage makes them nearly unbeatable in Seattle.

The next game is New Orleans at Atlanta. This is the first of many games that could be upsets. Atlanta was good two years ago and miserable last year. Which Atlanta team shows up this year? New Orleans is a good team but they've lost some key contributors from earlier seasons and are incorporating some new pieces. I'm picking New Orleans, but an upset here wouldn't shock me in the least. It should be a pretty good game.

Up next is Cincinnati at Baltimore. Baltimore's favored a tick in this game by Vegas, but I'm thinking Cincy will pull this one out. Andy Dalton seems to be heading up while I'm not so sure about Joe Flacco. I'm going against Vegas here and picking Cincinnati.

Buffalo goes to Chicago. I don't see this ending well for Buffalo. EJ Manuel has looked erratic this summer and the Bears have a lot of weapons. Unless the Bills can run the ball down the throat of the Bears (which wasn't all that hard last year) the Bears should cruise in this one. I'm taking the Bears.

Washington goes to Houston. I don't think we'll see a lot of points put up in this game as both offenses are pretty bad. The good news for the Texans is that their defense is very good while the Redskins' defense is a work in progress. I'll give the edge to the Texans in a low scoring game. This could be a 13-10 game.

Tennessee goes to KC. If you look at last year's records you'd think KC would win easily. KC's offensive line got decimated in the off season though. If they were playing in Tennessee I'd give the game to Tennessee, but playing in KC I'll give a slight edge to KC, but this is another game where an upset wouldn't shock me.

New England goes to Miami. I think the Patriots are likely to be a Super Bowl contender and they'll show that to the Dolphins in this game. The Dolphins will be running Bill Lazor's version of the Chip Kelly offense, which by the end of the year should be pretty impressive, but I'm thinking they'll need a few weeks to get it in sync. Expect the Patriots to win pretty easily.

The Raiders go to the Jets. I'll give an edge to the Jets, but I'm not all that impressed by either team.

The Jaguars come to Philly. I don't see this game being all that close. The Eagles have been scoring like mad all preseason and are pretty healthy going into this game. I don't see the Jags matching up well. I'll take the Eagles in a pretty easy win here.

Cleveland goes to Pittsburgh. I'm not impressed by either team. Cleveland has a bit of a QB circus going on which is never good. The Steelers' defense looked horrible in the preseason against the Eagles. Our second team offense dominated them. The sad thing is I think our second team offense is better than the Browns first team offense so I'll give the edge to Pittsburgh here. This could be another upset though.

Minnesota goes to St Louis. The Rams are in trouble and could be contending for that first overall pick this coming year after losing Sam Bradford. Vegas has them favored by four, but I just don't know how the Rams are going to score. The Vikings aren't much better, but I'll give this one to the Vikings and hope I'm right. Adrian Peterson wants that rushing title back and he's pretty healthy again.

San Francisco goes to Dallas. The Niners are six point favorites and this game could be pretty close if Romo has a big game. The Niners haven't looked all that good in the preseason, but I'm thinking every offense in the league will likely look pretty good playing the Cowboys, so I'm picking the Niners, but this could be another upset. If Romo has a big game (and he'll need to) then Dallas could pull it out. If the Cowboys get blown out in this game it could be a long, long season in Dallas.

Carolina goes to Tampa Bay. This is a toss-up game. Cam Newton hasn't looked all that impressive coming off his ankle surgery. The Bucs aren't all that good, but they've got a good new coach. I'll pick the Panthers here and hope for the best.

Indianapolis goes to Denver. I've got to give the edge to Denver over just about anyone. That team is poised for a big run if Peyton Manning can stay healthy.

The Giants go to Detroit. The Giants had five preseason games this year and their first team offense managed one touchdown in those five games. They're installing a West Coast offense which isn't suited to Eli Manning's strengths. They certainly haven't looked like they've got it mastered. I'll give the edge to the Lions in this one. The Giants offensive line is very weak while the Lions defensive line is very robust. Eli Manning will have to make quick reads and get rid of the ball quickly and he's not comfortable in this offense yet. That extra tenth of a second it takes when he's not comfortable will be enough time for the Lions to get their hands on him or the ball and this game could get very ugly. I've got the Lions winning big.

San Diego goes to Arizona. I think Arizona has a slight edge in this one, but it should be a good game.

And those are my takes for week one. Expect lots of surprises early in the season as teams that were bad last year rebound and teams that looked good last year fold. You never know what you'll get from year to year in the NFL.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Week One of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Hey gardenman - if you like having at least a bit of NFL team related apparel, today's NFL day on HSN with a great 3-in-one tea shirt deal....thought you might be interested.

Hope you're right about Cinci! Go Bengals!

Esteemed Contributor

Prediction: Washington goes to Houston and RG3 is a failure. (I call him Bob 3G, or Bob Mach3). I hope I am wrong. HTTR

Then, the coaching staff will fold to Danny Boy and we will continue to flog the horse - who remembers Bob3G's Dad proclaiming that his son was, indeed, a pocket passer? ROBERT GRIFFIN THE THIRD will be the starter come heck or high water.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure there's a player in the NFL under more pressure than RGIII this year. He got his old coach fired and a new coach he's personally approved of hired. He's got the weapons he's wanted. He's fully recovered from the knee injury. There are no excuses for poor play this year. They even start the season with two highly winnable games against two of the worst teams in the league last year in the Texans and Jaguars. (Who both seem improved this year.) I'm pretty sure the Redskin fanbase expects two wins in those two games. If they start out 0-2 (which is possible) with games looming against the Eagles, Giants, Seahawks and Cards, then an 0-6 start isn't out of the question.

I'm not sure how much Daniel Snyder will stand behind RGIII if the team gets off to an 0-6 start and he's performing badly. Daniel Snyder wants a new stadium and he may just decide it's time for the Kirk Cousins era to begin. Cousins could build some momentum with a stretch of easier games (Titans, Cowboys, Vikings, Bucs) that could get the Redskins back into contention before running into the Niners and Colts. The pressure on RGIII this year is enormous. If he shines, then he'll be a star. If he goes thud, then he could be out of the league next year. RGIII was a boom or bust pick (much like Johnny Manziel) and the problem with those guys is you just don't know which way they'll go.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Well, he'll always have the documentary to look back on.

Good point about Danny (I used to call Marty S "Martin" and Daniel S "Danny" and it stuck with me). He shows precious little allegiance for anything that dings his credibility (but wait, where is it?). Incredulity is more how I'd describe it.

Go ahead, quote me - this is a good one - how 'bout that Brandon Mayweather? I said early last year he should be cut and he continues on the same path. Once again, too little, too late from the 'Skins organization.

The Nats have my attention right now, anyway. My favorite sports talk show got axed last year (Danny's corporation) and it really changed how I thought about things. That was a last hope in a desert of BS. Now we've got THE DRIVE with has been Utah boy and Czabe is flatter than a tire on a rack of nails. Oh yeah I now listen to the other one (especially since 'Var is for the most part gone.

McCoy looked better than Mach3.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Hello ALL--

Hi SWEETBAY MAGNOLIA---I am a Redskin fan living in Texas.....it's a bit scary how Snyder took a good organization under Jack Kent Cooke and Joe Gibbs, and destroyed it.....but it looks like Snyder finally realized he is better off butting out and letting the REAL football folks run the team instead of the Redskins being his personal fantasy team....And I hope he stays out of any decisions and lets the coaches decide on who is the best QB for the Redskins---and so far, Robert has looked the worst compared to Cousins and McCoy---just write the checks Danny....and let the coaches coach....

Here are my picks---

Pack/Seahawks-playing in Seattle I think the Seahawks will be pumped up from their fans-SEAHAWKS!

Saints/Falcons-Rob Ryan has got the Saints D playing a lot better than in the past, Brees is ready to roll with his best buddy Graham-SAINTS!

Vikings/Rams-too bad about Sam Bradford---Rams D is decent, but their offense is now questionable---Vikings have their own problems, but they have AD so I'll go with VIKINGS

Browns/Steelers-Manziel and Hoyer drama will continue even with Hoyer named as the startter---Gordon suspended-not too many weapons left, Browns have good D so its a shame....gotta go with STEELERS!

Jags/Eagles-will be interesting to see if the Eagles took care of holes on defense, their offense will be humming even without DeSean---Jags will be improved, but will go with best of NFC East and Chip's high flying offense-EAGLES!

Raiders/Jets-the Carr era of the Raiders begins....but the Raiders still have a way to go to they need to add more talen to make them decent---will go with the J*E*T*S-jets,jets,jets---who have a pretty decent D

Bengals/Ravens-2 interesting teams---Bengals and Ravens both have new OC--I'll give the edge to the BENGALS (and my cat, Figgy's favorite team) Wink{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}---besides Sunshine would never forgive me if I selected the Ravens, being the jinx I am....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Bills/Bears-Although I am not a Jay Cutler fan, I'll go with the BEARS since they do have a lot of talent on the offense....

Redskins/Texans-That Texan defense will be FEARSOME---but their offense is a bit of a question mark at the QB position---and how can my REDSKINS lose with me at the game cheering them on {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}--Haslett will be turning Rak, Kerrigan, and Hatcher loose, Secondary is a question mark, Special Teams will be improved, the offense is loaded with weapons so it's up to Robert and the O line....keeping my fingers crossed !{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Titans/Chiefs-lots of criticism of Alex Smith, the Chiefs lost a few players to free agency, but still better talent than the Titans-CHIEFS

Patriots/Dolphins-Belichick and Brady how can you bet against them against the Dolphins--PATRIOTS!

Panthers/Buccaneers-Cam had ankle surgery lost a WR, their D will be decent, Bucs will be greatly improved under Lovie and players do love playing for him-BUCS

49ers/Cowboys-With suspensions, injuries etc etc....49ers will take a step back, still the Cowboy D is downright awful---Jerry's Palace hasn't given the Boyz much of a home advantage-I'll go with the 49ers despite a depleted roster....

Colts/Broncos-should be a good game---Welker is out for Broncos, they still got Peyton--good Colt team....I think the Mathis suspension will be the difference...it will be a close one--BRONCOS (sorry Tegan)

Monday Night Double Header-

Giants/Lions-The Giants have looked downright terrible with their new offense--Lions have new head coach and a ton of talent---I'm going with the LIONS (my DS won't be happy)

Chargers/Cardinals-two decent teams and it should be a close one-despite key injury on defense, going with the CARDINALS!--

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

And it's the first game day of the 2014 NFL season!!! Yea! It could be a good game tonight. The Packers will need to be good and efficient on offense and build a big early lead to minimize the impact of that twelfth man. A quick scoring drive, get a turnover and score again, and then stop the Seahawks and the fans could quiet down pretty quickly. I think the Seahawks are the more talented team right now though, so the Packers will have a challenge in front of them. It's not a game where you want to fall behind early if you're the Packers.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

GO PACK GO!!! Packers looked real good in preseason. Seattle's home field advantage is indeed an advantage. But we're still remembering getting robbed by the replacement refs last time we visited. Should be a good game.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm hoping for a Colts victory, but it won't be easy. Mathis not playing could be a factor; I don't know how Denver will do without Welker. I'm expecting a high scoring game from both sides.

I'm predicting a Dallas win. San Francisco has too many issues right now. So does Dallas, but I think that the Cowboys are going to surprise SF and play well enough for a victory.

I'm ready for some football. Let the games begin!

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Well, so far I got one pick right this week, though picking Seattle in Seattle is as much an automatic pick as there can be these days. They've only lost one home game in the last two plus years. Playing Seattle in Seattle means you've got to take advantage of every opportunity you get and the Packers just couldn't do it last night. Once you fall behind to them by two scores, the game is pretty much over.

The Eagles play Seattle in week 14, but we get them at home, so that should be an advantage to us. The Seahawks are pretty much unbeatable in Seattle, but relatively mortal on the road. The health of both teams will be a factor by then, but if both teams are healthy it should be a good game. That game is likely to have some playoff potential to it if things play out as expected.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!