Respected Contributor

I am losing interest in the NFL

I am so tired of watching a game for hours then win comes down to the toe of the kicker. It's as if all the strategy, hard work, engagement is nothing to the kicker's toe. I noticed last year my discontent and it is continuing this year. Argghh.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I am losing interest in the NFL

The NFL is disgraceful in the treatment of present and past players. One of the richest monopoly's in the world can't give the people that put them there decent health care or insurance amongst some of it list of atrocities.

Respected Contributor

On 8/25/2014 hopi said:

The NFL is disgraceful in the treatment of present and past players. One of the richest monopoly's in the world can't give the people that put them there decent health care or insurance amongst some of it list of atrocities.

With their millions of dollars they can afford their own health insurance.

Honored Contributor

On 8/25/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:
On 8/25/2014 hopi said:

That would be great if they all made millions of dollars, but they don't. The superstar players do, but that only accounts for a few members of the team. And they're in a sport where they get injured and suffer even more down the line than they do while they're playing. The league covers their insurance for a few years after they play (if they last 3 years or more with the league), but after that, they're responsible for their own healthcare and that's when they start seeing those years of play turn into arthritis, joint replacement surgeries, heart disease, etc. All on their own dime and when they're no longer getting paid by the NFL. And those same non-star players who weren't making millions playing are also not making millions getting hired as sports commentators or endorsements.

Super Contributor

Here's the list of Indianapolis Colts salaries. The LOWEST average salary is just under a half-million dollars.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/

Valued Contributor

On 8/25/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 8/25/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:
On 8/25/2014 hopi said:

That would be great if they all made millions of dollars, but they don't. The superstar players do, but that only accounts for a few members of the team. And they're in a sport where they get injured and suffer even more down the line than they do while they're playing. The league covers their insurance for a few years after they play (if they last 3 years or more with the league), but after that, they're responsible for their own healthcare and that's when they start seeing those years of play turn into arthritis, joint replacement surgeries, heart disease, etc. All on their own dime and when they're no longer getting paid by the NFL. And those same non-star players who weren't making millions playing are also not making millions getting hired as sports commentators or endorsements.

The players CHOOSE to pursue this profession. They make a lot more that the average person in life, and CHOOSE to abuse their bodies in this profession, so no sympathy here. There are plenty of employeers that offer no health insurance these days, not just the NFL.

Esteemed Contributor

Shame on all of you!

Honored Contributor

You know why they're aren't many women kickers? They don't want to damage their pedicures.

Esteemed Contributor

Mainly this topic has to due with the old timers. They made hardly a anything say in the seventies. I think most players today whether a star or not can take care of themselves.
Esteemed Contributor

lowest salary for Washington is $510,000. Somehow I am not feeling much sympathy. you would think making that kind of money even for a few years they could tuck some away for future expenses.